• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
Lol, if people don't already know the basic plot...I'm ashamed at those of you who didn't before seeing the movie.

I am glad to say I did know the story before going in, in fact I've never forgotten it since reading about in in High School, but you'd be surprised (or maybe not surprised) how many people I talked to on Friday night weren't even aware that Spartans were more than a college team. *sigh*

Very shortsighted of me to think the same thing with this crowd, my aplogies. Regardless though, there are a lot of cool details that are only in the movie, which i will not spoil for others.

Upvote 0
This movie was so good on so many levels. No, it doesn't have some deep metaphysical story, but then again...it doesn't have to. It's a simple idea, extremely well executed.

The combat scenes were so well choreographed. It really drove home just how freaking badass the Spartans were, especially with those stylized speed up/slow down shots where one Spartan takes out a dozen Persians. Brutal yet... beautiful at the same time. Plus the entire look of the film, with the pronounced film grain, boosted contrast, and semi-sepia tone gave it a hyper-reality that I really haven't seen before.

I won't ruin the plot for anyone, but there were some one-liners in there that made me laugh out loud with how matter-of-fact they were said. Also, I enjoyed the "What is your profession?" scene. :)

There were a few "supernatural" elements that I wasn't too crazy about, that served as sharp reminders that we were watching a comic book adaptation and not a historical piece. Not that I was expecting a History Channel special or anything, but those elements just stood out a little too obviously, more at home in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy instead of a historically-based piece.

Overall, my wife and I enjoyed it throuroughly. It's funny - usually these types of movies are strictly for the guys. But I've heard that a lot of women love it. Aside from the terrific story and action, there's plenty of eye candy for both sexes. For us guys, Lena Headey is smoking hot. Screw it - ALL the Spartan women were hot. And, if you're thinking about taking your girlfriend/wife to see it, get ready for her to ask you to join a gym afterwards. This movie's got more six-packs than a liquor store. I swear, gym memberships will probably go up thanks to this movie alone... Unless your girlfriend's/wife's idea of a heavy action movie is Steel Magnolias or something, she'll probably like it.

Upvote 0