• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Axis Tanks = Owned?

I havent read through all the pages here but i am quiet angry with some tank behaviour in the game. Ok, luck is normal but last time i got killed in a perfect angled Tiger tank by a SU 76 which fired HE SHELLS at more than 1000 m (!!!) distance. (some people here might now me already from the game > i know how to angle the tiger)
FYI, range dosn't effect HE shells, only AP and APCR

Upvote 0
It dose thats why there was two sets of numbers
6/9
6/6
6/6

The first number is the "/76" the second is the "/85"
the incressed armor only affected the turret any way.

and the KV-1 in game uses is the reduced armor vertion not the KV-1 with the extra armor. If it was then it would be like so.

front= 11
side= 8
rear= 8

Ok but why would they put a light version of KV1 into the game those were not even produced in large numbers plus the model in game looks like the heavy armored version.

Upvote 0
Kipper, that's already in existence -- the Armored (armoured?) Beasts mutator.

I got curious about individual tank vs. tank performance last night, so I decided to test a few things out.

I fired up Mormegil's tank range map and hopped in the German tanks at the 750-800m range then fired back at the Russian tanks frontally.

The Pz III loaded with AP was able to penetrate most tanks, although I'm not sure how much actual damage it was doing. I wasn't hitting any of the "sweet spots" apparently, but I did get some tanks smoking. The weird part was that the IS-2 seems to have been relatively vulnerable to the Pz III at least at ranges under 500m (I drove it up to try some shots out).

I'm going to do more testing tonight, but there may be more to the whole wonkiness of individual tank armor than I even expected previously. I knew some stuff was wacky, but there may be something more going on.

I did notice that even at 800m, the Tiger's frontal armor was still vulnerable to the T-34-85, and I think even to the 76.2mm guns on the T-34-76, SU-76, and KV-1S. Like I said, though, I'll need to check that again.

Upvote 0
Using that map you should be able to see that the PIII penetrates the IS2 at 1000...

Actually, I don't believe the map has a 1000m distance on it. It's more like 800m. However, if the Pz III is penetrating the IS2 frontally at that range, it's still a problem, yeah.

The nice thing about the map is that, for the most part, it elminates questions of angling and gives you raw data for head-on and flank shots at about 800m.

I think I'm going to test it again tonight and see what I can see. My plan is to take each vehicle and fire off, say, 10 rounds at each opposing vehicle, to see how hits are handled.

It's possible that things like the Pz III penetrating the IS2 at longer ranges are weirdnesses that simply slipped through testing, due to the fact that many official maps don't have certain matchups between tanks.

Also note that this range map is old enough NOT to include the Pz IV H. So I won't be able to present data on that or on the UC.

Upvote 0
I tried that tank testing map a couple of days ago and tested how stong the IS2 is with angling. I was in a Tiger and was about 5 meters from IS2 and all my shots bounced off nearly all surface area. I only destroyed the tank when firing point blank range from the front.

Now I don't think that's possible in real life.

I noticed also the T-34 76 and 85 main guns are almost the same in destroying the German tanks. Though I've never noticed the Panzer III destroying and IS2 that far out! I should try it out myself.

Upvote 0
It's possible that things like the Pz III penetrating the IS2 at longer ranges are weirdnesses that simply slipped through testing, due to the fact that many official maps don't have certain matchups between tanks.
If it's the map I'm thinking of, the longest distance between the tanks is 750m. You need APCR to kill the JS-2 at 750m, but you can do it.
Bascially, all the Russian tanks, expect possibly the T-60, have the drivers' hatch coded as a weak spot. This gives you a 1 shot kill on those tanks, with the exception of the SU-76, because the ammo storage is located in a different place.
The kill the SU-76 with 1 shot, from the front, aim to the right of, and a tad below the gun barrel.

Upvote 0
If it's the map I'm thinking of, the longest distance between the tanks is 750m. You need APCR to kill the JS-2 at 750m, but you can do it.
Bascially, all the Russian tanks, expect possibly the T-60, have the drivers' hatch coded as a weak spot. This gives you a 1 shot kill on those tanks, with the exception of the SU-76, because the ammo storage is located in a different place.
The kill the SU-76 with 1 shot, from the front, aim to the right of, and a tad below the gun barrel.
I took out the IS2 from 800 meters with only AP ammo in my Panzer III. I must have fired about 10 shots to do it but end the end the IS2's armour is not realistic.

Upvote 0
I took out the IS2 from 800 meters with only AP ammo in my Panzer III. I must have fired about 10 shots to do it but end the end the IS2's armour is not realistic.

I managed to kill a few IS-2s from 1000m with two shots (normal AP), don't know what parts the shells hit but it blew up.

Sometimes I even saw Tiger AP bounce off T-60:p

Upvote 0
Thin-skinned vehicles such as the BA-64 and the SdKfz.251 (German halftrack) usually did survive hits from large caliber AP rounds. The armor would be penetrated, the round would pass through the interior, then punch right back out the other side and continue downrange. Normally the armor on these vehicles was much softer than that on tanks, which reduced spalling and shrapnel when penetrated. Any soldiers located between the entrance and exit holes would take more damage than the vehicle did. Only when the engine or transmission were hit would sufficient damage be done to render the vehicle inoperable.

Hit one with an HE round and it's a totally different story. You would likely get penetration of the near-side armor, followed by the round going off inside. What happens when the round detonates in the interior is pretty much terminal for vehicle and passengers alike.

Upvote 0
Thin-skinned vehicles such as the BA-64 and the SdKfz.251 (German halftrack) usually did survive hits from large caliber AP rounds. The armor would be penetrated, the round would pass through the interior, then punch right back out the other side and continue downrange. Normally the armor on these vehicles was much softer than that on tanks, which reduced spalling and shrapnel when penetrated. Any soldiers located between the entrance and exit holes would take more damage than the vehicle did. Only when the engine or transmission were hit would sufficient damage be done to render the vehicle inoperable.

Hit one with an HE round and it's a totally different story. You would likely get penetration of the near-side armor, followed by the round going off inside. What happens when the round detonates in the interior is pretty much terminal for vehicle and passengers alike.

I agree with you

Last edited:
Upvote 0