• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Gorlitz Beta 3

Oh and one bug I almost forgott:

There is an area where you get stuck.
From the russian spawn at the 88s square head left and trough the ruins and the rubble. On the left you can get up on the rubble piles and overlook the alley leading to the trainyard, on the most northwestern edge there a a small hole where you get stuck.

Upvote 0
[edit] Hey Shadowman, I dont mean to shoot down your ideas but additional enterable bulidings
mean additional effort to clear them. How long do you want to take a round on the map?
60 or 80 minutes? ;) I mean its a hard deal for the russians to get it done right on time already.[/edit]

This game's all about realism. This map is hard for both sides & that also makes it realistic. This is war we're taking about. If i had my way ALL the buildings would be usable. If it takes an hour to clear the map then if that hour is hard, realistic & enjoyable you've succeeded in something very few mappers have done. War's aren't 20 minute things. The harder the better as long as it can be kept balanced.
Keep it up mate. Oh & keep the smoke or give it to the Germans but it's needed.
Rob

Upvote 0
There was a discussion of this on a previous page, I think what is going to happen is that the riflemen will get an svt or mn, while the ce will get the pps43 or m44. I agree that the ce needs options, it's a tough role with the limited weapon choice.

Groovy! I think that'll help. :)

Of course, you could always take things in the other direction and heavily divide how the roles operate. IE: riflemen only get bolties, CEs/Assault/SLs only get SMGs, but that could drastically alter how the map's played.

Actually, now that I think about it, an alternate "remix" of the map could be interesting with far more divided roles. IE: instead of tanks, SU-76s and UCs -- splits the "mobile MG" and "Mobile HE" roles. Instead of STGs/Semi-autos in abundance, you have riflemen with bolties only, and the other classes with SMGs (except the MGers, obviously).

I just think that'd change the flavor of the map, as well as the pacing...although I'm not sure HOW it'd change things...

Upvote 0
There are too many sappers,in certain choke points sometimes satchel spams occur instead of nade spam ,i dont think russians need more than 2 sappers.It is also one of the reasons that lead to so many TKs on russian side.
Pls pls at least lower the volume of ambient sounds,i gave up playing the map because of them.
Maptime is about 40 minutes and on most of the servers maps are played 2 rounds and on some of them even 3 rounds.That means you have to listen that tank(?) changing gear and hitting the gas and firing its MG(?) for 80-120 consecutive minutes which is very very annoying.

Upvote 0
This game's all about realism. This map is hard for both sides & that also makes it realistic. This is war we're taking about. If i had my way ALL the buildings would be usable. If it takes an hour to clear the map then if that hour is hard, realistic & enjoyable you've succeeded in something very few mappers have done. War's aren't 20 minute things. The harder the better as long as it can be kept balanced.
Keep it up mate. Oh & keep the smoke or give it to the Germans but it's needed.
Rob
Well said. I dont post alot but here is my dollars worth
This is the best map I have played in a while. I like it .My mates like it. It plays very even.Leave the audio alone...its very realistic. A great map for Tankers and Footsloggers. Jerry could do with a Tiger or Panther at atleast 1 spaun though to make it more realistic.
All in all well done and congrads...a good hard map.

Upvote 0
Great map were loving this map on our Gamearena servers in Australia.I'd like to give you some input on this great map.
1-Too many sappers (2 is sufficient with optional M44)
2-Smoke is needed by the russians to launch "combined attacks"against good defences but has to be thrown close to your enemies defences.
3-The T34 and su76 are fine for the allies they just have to use them aggressively in combo with infantry.Maybe more T34's for more pressure on the germans and just maybe LIMITED ARTILLERY for the allies at certain points of the map eg Bridgehead 88's.(the Russians would of turned this town to dust with arty irl)
4-The Panzerfaust loadout is fine for the Germans,since they dont have any AT guns.
5-STG44,mg42,g41,g43 (needed for historical purposes) are correct loadout for that time of the war.As were grenades for every trooper,but that can be adjusted for gameplay.
6-The map layout is good and some of the buildings being opened up at strategic spots as proposed in earlier posts can help the defender and attacker aswell.
7-The ambient noise from Saving private Ryan is a bit much,we should be able to hear ingame enemy tanks and infantry combat approaching over the ambient sounds.
Keep up the great work Flash,your onto a winner with this map.:)

Upvote 0
So far I haven't seen the russians win.

Had the best time ever playing on a public server. That being said I felt kinda cheated at losing the map. Russians seemed to do everything right but there just wasn't enough time to cap the last objective. Reinforcements were double our favor and the communication was pretty good.

I have to say it has a pretty steep curve for a public map.

I would say reduce THE SPAWN TIME for the russians and I think the balance would be even. Many times caps would be cleared out but there just weren't enough men left to hold the cap zone then the germans would just rehold the position.

A few recappable areas I'm not sure they should be there, just feels annoying when so much work went into capping it only to lose it.

The germans seem to arrive at cap zones quicker, so to balance it out make the russians spawn faster.

Upvote 0
love this map but the lighting annoys me dnt know why really if this was anyone else id suggest tweakin it and i did play around with it to see its affects b4 suggesting it ill post it neways :p

i kno it can be done a lot better than this sdk shot :p but it would just go with the whole sound atmosphere or maybe its just me who knows :p

gorilazlightchangepl9.jpg

ah well :p very very good job and just my opinion :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Still haven't played a game where the Russians won (*excluding a one-on-one I once played)

Just a suggestion for the first bridgehead. The capzone seems a little large, where the Russians remain vulnerable most of the time, and the Germans have many areas to hang back if needed (and out-of fire) and still be in the zone. Perhaps make the capzone a little smaller on the German side, so the Germans have to be more in the battle and in the zone (and not on the opposite corner of the block where the fighting is going on)?

Upvote 0
Ohh **** what a intensive map :D . Have to remember when the russian took any of the 2 bridges and had a SU standing right at the begin on the bridge supressing the germans hard and I did a desperate rush through the whole russian **** and went to it's back and shoot the gunner with my K98 :cool: . Of course I died right after I shot him but what a moment. Never knew my banzai rush would work :)

Upvote 0
I think it works really well as a cloudy, windy day map, where there's a thuderstorm on the horizon.

Just a though on the Russians not winning problem I think it is good that there is a map that that attacking team has to work together to win. Its boring if the map is balanced so that a bunch of idiots with their heads chopped off can win.

Cant wait to see the next version :D

Upvote 0
I saw the same bug that Cowboy from Hell did.

I've seen the Russians win a few times, for sure. I think maybe the final spawn should be moved back a little bit more but given additional cover/entry points; Russian tanks can almost be forced to camp.

There's another point, I believe at the first bridge, where the Germans spawn almost in the open, on their left of the bridge. It'd be better if the spawn point were moved maybe to the alley behind the debris mound or something, hopefully in a way such that cannon fire doesn't wipe out the spawn. (Alternate idea -- spawn inside somewhere, one hallway leading one way and the other another way?)

In public, one challenge seems to be playing as sapper and not blowing up half your team because people keep running in. I succeeded in getting banned on two different servers.

Small stuff, probably already mentioned:

"Bridehead"

Place names for shouts

Possibly a shattered, burning building or two for ambience; there's a -ton- of debris in the streets. Maybe something like what the beginnings of TractorWorks look like, just in a spot or two.

Upvote 0
Years back when I used to play baseball (quit playing because of the politics of it all), I remember one time I was sitting on the bench with one of my friends and he commented on how awesome the clouds looked in the distance just illuminating in pockets of lightning. We were too far away from the storm to hear or feel anything, but it was amazing to watch these tiny explosions going off every second.

I live in Florida, the lightning capitol of the United States, and 2nd leading in the world. During the winter when it rains, there's hardly any lightning, but during the summer and fall, it's ferocious here. We've all experienced lightning, but here in Tampa, FL, it feels like an artillery barrage going off when it rains lol. It's so awesome. =P

Edit - I guess I should include the reason why I write this. Wouldn't it be cool if the RO engine supported dynamicly lit skyboxes with realistic lightning going off in the sky? (And not just flashes). Wouldn't it be cool if entire cityscapes could be illuminated by lightning going off in the distance. Would add a lot of immersion I think.

Upvote 0
The 88's near the end being recappable is what makes the map tough on the Russians. Thats my conclusion after playing it a hundred times now. With many different teams on both offense and defense, the major slowdown is the recappable 88's almost every time.

If you could, in a future beta, try adding some ambient German voice tracks to certain areas. Hearing them shouting to each other - where the voices appear to be close-by in some areas and further away on adjacent streets in other areas - would really add to that feeling of a bigger operation happening all around the city. Immersion.

Upvote 0
I love the concept of this map, but I find it unfortunately pretty frustrating to play on. I think that the Russians have an extremely hard time winning, which leads to frustration and player imbalance.

Yet, at the same time, playing as German, it's extremely frustring to die to the tanks over and over and over again.

My recommended solution:

1. The Russians need more time. Give them an hour. If they can't get it by then, they deserve to lose.

2. Make the buildings enterable. City combat should be (IMHO) about fighting in the buildings, as well as in the streets. I know some of the buildings have corner rooms you can enter, but there just isn't enough. I would recommend opening up some second floor rooms for the germans to get a good view of the battlefield from. This will make it harder for the russians, but they have tanks with HE shells to clear those rooms out with.

As for the PF issue, I personally do not feel that they're overpowered. On the maps that I've played, the tankers knew enough to hang back and this was absolutely devastating. I actually like the fact the Germans don't have any Anti-Tank soldiers and the Faust is simply a pickup item. If you change anything at all, I would recommend the maximum # of fausts a soldier could carry would be 1. That would allow the Germans to spread them around a little and stop people from hogging them.

I know it's a tall order, but SOME kind of German ATG (based on Slyk's Russian AT gun tech) found around the map would be nice.

Upvote 0
The 88's near the end being recappable is what makes the map tough on the Russians. Thats my conclusion after playing it a hundred times now. With many different teams on both offense and defense, the major slowdown is the recappable 88's almost every time.

This is one of the few things I am pretty adament about not changing in the map. I am adjusting the spawn locations and cover so that the Russians can advance easier, but I want to give the Germans the option of counterattacking on this part of the map. It would also be strange to have it lock, ususally when the russians do cap the 88s the objective is still quite contested, and the germans frequently can regain the numerical superiority in the area. To prevent the recap would be artificial, so not the best way to fix this issue in my mind.

I love the concept of this map, but I find it unfortunately pretty frustrating to play on. I think that the Russians have an extremely hard time winning, which leads to frustration and player imbalance.

Yet, at the same time, playing as German, it's extremely frustring to die to the tanks over and over and over again.

My recommended solution:

1. The Russians need more time. Give them an hour. If they can't get it by then, they deserve to lose.

2. Make the buildings enterable. City combat should be (IMHO) about fighting in the buildings, as well as in the streets. I know some of the buildings have corner rooms you can enter, but there just isn't enough. I would recommend opening up some second floor rooms for the germans to get a good view of the battlefield from. This will make it harder for the russians, but they have tanks with HE shells to clear those rooms out with.

As for the PF issue, I personally do not feel that they're overpowered. On the maps that I've played, the tankers knew enough to hang back and this was absolutely devastating. I actually like the fact the Germans don't have any Anti-Tank soldiers and the Faust is simply a pickup item. If you change anything at all, I would recommend the maximum # of fausts a soldier could carry would be 1. That would allow the Germans to spread them around a little and stop people from hogging them.

I know it's a tall order, but SOME kind of German ATG (based on Slyk's Russian AT gun tech) found around the map would be nice.

Not quite sure what you mean here, the map is frustrating for both sides? The map will be balanced more to help the Russians, so hopefully that will help with that problem, and regarding germans getting crushed by the tanks, my experience has been that there are enough routes to give the germans a way to the objective. I still think that if the germans use cover and dont try to go toe to toe with a tank, basically play smart and defensively, they wont be killed by tanks too frequently.

Regarding opening up more buildings, this is something I am doing, but I wouldn't advocate it if you think the map is too tough for the russians. I've see a single german with an stg prone in a building close down a street for five minutes. More open buildings will slow the russian advance a lot. This relates to the general concept of the map. I'm dont want to open too many buildings up because I want this map to be a streetfight and not a cqc map.

I've thought about adding an at gun, I might do it if a german one became available.

Upvote 0