• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HAHA!! That was totally a Dean Scream. It inspired me to write this...

"You know something, were not just gonna go to Attica...Xerxes the first. Were gonna go to Miletus! Were gonna go to Marathon! Were gonna go to Thermopylae!! Were going to Salamis!! Were going to Plataea!! Were going to Byzantium!!! Were gonna go to Halicarnassus in Ionia!!! Were gonna go to Amsterdam for spring break!!! Were gonna go to Montreal and Vancouver!!! I'm going all over the world!!! And then I'm coming all the way back to Athens, to take back the Parthanon!!! BYAAAAHHH!!! THIS IS SPARTAAAAAHH!!! BYAAAAHHH!!!

edit: yes, I stole that spring break part from Dave Chappelle

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Still say it shouldve been based on the actual history instead of a comic book. Comic book... What next? Civil war being fought with guns that shoot electricity(lightning), courtesy of Dr. Franekstein? LOL

The comic book was based on history, maybe loosely, but...

I saw an interview with Miller, he seemed to be really into the story behind 300. Seems he wants to turn this into a fable so people can hopefully pick up a message from it:

Frank Miller first encountered the Spartans when he saw the film "The 300 Spartans" as a kid. He remembers, "I was quite shaken and inspired by it because it taught me that heroes aren't the people who necessarily get a medal at the end of the story, that heroes are people who do what is right because it is right, even making the ultimate sacrifice to do it. All my life I wanted to tell this story because it's the best story I've ever encountered. And, eventually, I gained the skills as a cartoonist, such that I thought I could finally handle it."

To illustrate 300, Miller synthesized his substantial research--which took him to the cliffs of Thermopylae itself--with the trademark style he brought to such legendary graphic works as Sin City and The Dark Knight Returns. He pared down the Spartans' uniform (roughly half his body weight in uniform and weapons) down to its most essential and symbolic features and peppered the story of the historic 480 B.C. battle of Thermopylae with elements of prior and subsequent clashes between Xerxes and the Greeks.

Upvote 0
"The movie never claims to be historically correct. It is based somewhat loosely on Frank Miller's 1998 comic book mini-series. Changes from history were made by Miller and Snyder so as to appeal to a wider audience and create a more exciting and visually stunning action movie, rather than a typical historical epic."

you know what, the hell with history if it makes what will hopefully be a bad-ass movie!

Upvote 0
Hah. :) Well, I don't read comics, first, and second, only a little piece of plot is based on history from what I've seen in trailers. :)
I'm asking not to tell people things like: "That idea of [put any cool idea here] was the sweet!" and "The way they did this [any good-looking scene] is unbelievable". Well, I think you understood what I was trying to tell you. :)
Like, Troy was also based on some event, but how close was it to the book?

Upvote 0
Some of you guys are in such a "realism" mindset that you can't enjoy certain things anymore if it itsn't 100% realistic and historically accurate. Sad really...

Fiction is interesting as well, you know. I can guarantee you that 300 would be a lot less epic and kickass if they didn't give it a fictional twist. So just keep an open mind and enjoy the film, instead of going all "z0mg unr34l1stic!!1" every time you see a monster.:p

Upvote 0
Some of you guys are in such a "realism" mindset that you can't enjoy certain things anymore if it itsn't 100% realistic and historically accurate. Sad really...

Fiction is interesting as well, you know. I can guarantee you that 300 would be a lot less epic and kickass if they didn't give it a fictional twist. So just keep an open mind and enjoy the film, instead of going all "z0mg unr34l1stic!!1" every time you see a monster.:p

I just figured out my problem with this movie. Its that many people havent heard of the comic, and wont be as familiar with it. The actual battle may have been covered or read about while in school, but in general I feel more people are familiar with the actual battle than the comic. Basically, the actual events should be used to draw attention to the comic, rather than the other way around.

TOTAL BS! There was about 8000 Spartans and their allies(1st day) vs at least 120000 Persians. By definition, thats an epic battle. Epic: extending beyond the usual or ordinary especially in size or scope (From http://209.161.33.50/dictionary/epic(as in the disparity in number of troops))
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_Spartans#Notes

Upvote 0