• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RELEASE: Armored Beasts Beta 2.0

Even criticism is welcomed, and if it's well-founded it would be considered. Dual magnification sight requires more ingerence in the code than just adding second binocs zoom, so I will do it later. Only the most simple fixes were included in this release, but I believe that they already made totally different game.
The magnification differs from tank to tank, but most times it's double, so you can keep it simple (well... as simple as possible, I know what it means to modify code written by other people), i.e. 2.5 normal, 5.0 alternative magnification, 3.0 to 6.0... The size of the drawings in the german sights could be a tough piece of work, though. Curiously, the same sights on the binoculars seem to work right...

Turret jam, gun disable, damagingof optics, killing crew members, damaging wheels and tracks - much of those things is planned, all is possible just it's a bit of coding. So it has to wait untill more important issues are finished. Killing of crew members is high on the priority list. Disabling the gun and turret jam would be good too, I have also better track damage system on my mind. It only going to take time, as I'm working slow. How do you exactly understand "damaging of wheels" and "real effects for HE" ?
Glad to hear it ;). Well, what I mean is that shells may also damage the wheels, torsion bars, etc, thus giving the tank reduced mobility, or stopping it completely by jamming the traction or tension wheels (i.e. it runs off the tracks). HE shells were able to damage optics, tracks, wheels, driver sights, cause turret jams or disable the gun. Not to speak about the poor damage they're actually causing to infantry (seems not to be more than a nade, unless you're exactly on its path) (the delay fuses of SpGr43 are probably too much asking, isn't it? :rolleyes:). Also, hits exactly on the junction between hull and turret should kill the most tanks (one of the reasons why Panther G got this curious deflector, iirc).

Nevertheless, great job. And it keeps improving, so what do we want more?

Upvote 0
Actually, a good mutator has it all, but makes sure serveradmins can turn off or on all it's individual properties.

I'm working on armor modeling, penetration calcs and such things, and will have ready tank/weapon classes as a result. How this will be realised into mutator form, what method will be used to replace vehicles, how to custom mod features, is another problem. I think I will leave this for others. I'm sure there is many people who know much more than me about Unreal and making mutators, that can take my work and make a mut from it. The beta version is just a demo, that I really have something that is worth realisation - not only talk about it. I'll make it, let's someone make a good mutator from it.
I'm really more interested in work on improving realism, than spending this time on learning to make Unreal mutator scripts.

I think you should stick to the basics and make additional Mutators instead of one huge one changing everything. I really didn't like the new richochet sounds. They sounded like they were ripped from an outdated war movie, while the stock ones are much better.
Full version will utilise much more ricochet sounds, including original ones. This is lite version of beta mod.

The tracers kind of bothered me as well because seeing shells bounce of tanks is a nice visual effect and discarding it makes tank fights a little dull. Regardless this is still a great mutator.

I'm sorry but this mod is aimed at realism, and nothing else. If in real life tank shell tracers didn't look like flaming balls, they will not in the mut too, period. Regardles of how cool this would look/sound/play/whatever. Flying tanks would be probably very cool to play too...

P.S. Just finished dual magnification optics for Panther. It was easier than I expected. All it took were three copy/paste operations, and 6 characters changed in code. It has two magnifications with FOV of 28deg and 14deg (2.5 and 5x).

And in rest of tanks view should be better too, as resizing of the sights allowed 1.4x zoom increase while retaining correct FOV. Only Stug and Su-76 don't utilise full screen for sights, as they had narrow FOV optics (5x and 8deg for Stug and I believe 2.5x and 15deg for Su-76?). German and assault guns sights are ready, I have only some problems rescaling Russian optics sight's mover position yet :-/.

I also wait for Russian Panther textures my friend is doing. There is German T-34 on some maps, what about Russian captured Panther ? They used up to a battalion of them. Think, how perfectly BALANCED game would this make, Panthers vs Panthers ;-P And how boring ,too ;-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So the soviets have no effective AT weapons bar the odd panzerfaust lieing around.......AWSOME!!

And had they in historical reality ? Mod reflects reality, so please blame reality for such things. Land-lease bazookas could be given to red side, but someone has to make them (models, anims ect.).

So no problems with mod working on servers so far ? Someone told me that mod tends to "disable" or "stop working" after it is running on a server for some time. But not sure if it was mod or server problem. Anyway, the main mutator script can be improved, only I'm working on other things currently.

P.S. Who is going to play it? People that want's to play and enjoy a reasonably realistic game. People who cares only about their chances to win, can still play stock RO, no problem.

Played few times Russian side in T-34/76 on Orel, was killed many times, but the satisfaction when you manage to kill a Tiger by usage of smart/team tactic is awesome and worth it. You know you were much better/smarter that the guy in this 56ton monster :). Also was in games (with mod) when Russian side won both in Orel and Black Day July, so it's definitely possible, only you have to think :). Of course it would be not possible, if both sides were equally good - because Germans have superior (and not historically balanced by red side numerical advantage) hardware on Orel and Black Day July. But seems that better players prefer to choose more challenging i.e. red side, and they often win :). And of course new or modified maps with more balanced forces can be made for use with the mod. It's a matter of time IMO.

P.S. Just take a closer look at the panzerfaust, in slomo, as I don't see any explosion as it hits a tank, it just disappears and does the damage. Panzerfaust rocket seems to not have stabilisers, and seems to fly straight to target for some time after launch - when it points upwards at the moment of launch... probably to make it easier in use. I think when it is made more realistic, it will be harder to use effectively and actually hit a tank. Just as PTRD is harder to use now. Pzanzerfaust was very low velocity weapon (grenade rather than rocket) going all the way after ballistic path. Which versione exactly is supposed to be modeled in game ?Panzerfaust 60 ?

Anyone knows why I don't see any explosion when it hits a tank, despite the effect seem to be spawned properly by code ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And had they in historical reality ? Mod reflects reality, so please blame reality for such things. Land-lease bazookas could be given to red side, but someone has to make them (models, anims ect.).
In reality they also had at guns, molotov cocktails, at grenades, the russian winter, dogs with bombs attached. Until some of this stuff is put in game the PTRD has to be a tad overpowerd to give the Russian infantry a fighting chance against armour, and unless you know were to hit the buggers and your at a 90 degree angle it ****s pretty hard anyway.

Upvote 0
When you exclude the capabilities of the PTRD, you've lost many dedicated Allies tankers, since they often incooperate the PTRDs in their tactics. Sorry, but I don't see this mut going anywhere in it's current state. Either leave the PTRD alone, or make a PTRS, that's my advice.

And people play this game to win AND lose, to have fun playing it. It's not a matter of being a sore loser, balance is the key for every game.

Upvote 0
Actually, the mut is doing well. It has a few small problems like overly weakened P3's and the velocity of the tank shells needs to be slowed back down. The stronger armor now for the T34/76/85's and especially, the KV1's make a big difference in the maps. Of course, ppl that rarely play at all or don't get into tanks will not see these big improvements.

The PTRD was easily thwarted by the skirts on BOTH the hulls and turrets of 99% of the German tanks. As it stands now, the PTRD is as it was looked upon. Weak. The PTRS on the other hand, if it were in the game, would be a different story.

As an aside, does anyone know why there was a vertical bar or rod on the front center of the allied jeeps, etc.??

Upvote 0
Well the problem RO has that it lacks of early war maps and early war equippement. The PTRD was only effective against that and effective against optics etc.

You can have some kind of balance here as well, if you have no problem facing a Russian team that is let's say 1/3 lager than your team. Imo the people should get rid of the idea that teams have to be even in terms of members and equipement.

Upvote 0
Well the problem RO has that it lacks of early war maps and early war equippement. The PTRD was only effective against that and effective against optics etc.

You can have some kind of balance here as well, if you have no problem facing a Russian team that is let's say 1/3 lager than your team. Imo the people should get rid of the idea that teams have to be even in terms of members and equipement.

Too true, but common sense must prevail. Many times I've been outnumbered by Russian Tanks and personnel, only to emerge victorious. Bear in mind, that most of the maps are in the late 1930's and early 1940's... therefore early war. The newer maps featuring the Allied (Russian) advances are not that many and are, for the most part, somewhat biased.

I am however, against seeing maps purposely set to begin with the Germans outnumbered, outgunned and flatly, overpowered. That was never the case until the second year of Barbarossa and the last year or so, near the end of the war.

Some of the bias in the game is rather obvious.

Upvote 0
Mike wrote:
As an aside, does anyone know why there was a vertical bar or rod on the front center of the allied jeeps, etc.??

These were on Allied Jeeps (especially in US service), as most drivers would drive with the windshield down for better visibility, and the Germans had a nasty habit of stringing piano or other strong, thin wire across roadways to cut the throats of these unsuspecting drivers. The bars were there to snag and snap these wires.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0