• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Picked up max payne again.

Moz

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
the first one. I played and finished the sequel a year ago but I released I never finished the first one. (gave up at the cold steel plant) Is it just me or is this the HARDEST ****ING GAME EVER.
Max dies in 1-2 hits. The enemies are always at point blank range. You never have enough bullet time and half of the enemies just appear around corners and shot you instantly. Fall of max payne was a breeze in comparison. I swear to god my F5 (quick save) and F9 (quick load) are going to break.

This game is also the best single player experience ever. It is like an excellent novel, you just can't put it down. I know how it ends and I still can't stop until that ****ing ***** pays for killing my wife and baby daughter. I am going to rape her corpse with bullets.

Cheers

edit: supposedly the game auto scales the difficult based on how well you are doing. Well how can I convince the game that it is making it too damn hard! I always quick save/load so that I kill most all enemies without getting hit. Maybe that is skewing it in the insane difficultly level.

the first one. I played and finished the sequel a year ago

Ah but did you get both endings ;)

Aye May Payne was pretty hard, especially some scenes where enemies just spawn constantly (Jack scene for e.g.). Great series of games though, one of the few that dared to be ****ing dark when the media was in its full 'games are evil!' swing.

Upvote 0
"Pleased to meet you. I'm Frankie 'The Bat' Niagara."
"Niagara, as in you cry a lot?"

"Ladies and gentlemen, it's the pain in the ass."
"Pain to the Max!"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0291337/quotes

****ing loved that game. Great way of telling a story. When I finished the game I spent a lot of time posing Max in bullet time for cool screenshots.:p I think I still have my CD full of Max Payne screenshots. That was years ago.

Still haven't played the sequel, I should pick it up some time!

By the way, I think Max Payne is really one of those games that would make a good movie. It would be kind of like Sin City.

Upvote 0
Playing it through with kung fu now and the enemies are much easier. Before it would take 2-3 shotgun blasts to kill even the the medium enemies, but now I can drop them easily with berrettas, I guess something I did the first time through caused the game to auto adjust the difficult to insanity. (I've noticed in this second run that there is now way more ammo and painkillers)

My theory is that the game gages how well you are doing based on how long it takes you to kill an enemy after it engages you. First run I was killing most badguys before they could get a shot off, and when they did it was 100% accurate and usually dropped me (no painkillers so I was often at near zero) but with the kungfu I'm pracing around and they can't even hit me when I stand directly infront of them!

Stupid auto difficulty.

Upvote 0
I think the story in MP2 was more elaborate and well-crafted, but MP1's story was more enjoyable because Max was angry and focused, rather than aimless and depressed.

The more the merrier.

Even though they are very repetitive on the core gameplay (especially MP1), they are overall very well done. Especially the storyline and some small ideas and such are great.

The best Max payne mod was Kung Fu.

KungFu mod was great, I have to say. There were some other nice (LightSaber V4 was also fun), but my personal favorite if you want to play MP with bit more 'realism' is ReelSteel. Makes weapons overall more realistic and such.

But yeah, I recall back when MP1 was released there was actually mention about it in the TV news that it has been sold very well in very short time.

Upvote 0
Ha Moz wait till you get to the secret last level in MP1, your going to throw you computer out of the window trying to beat it. It is New York Minute mode only and no place to take cover.

I loved the Max Payne series. If only MP2 had multi-player, biggest oversight considering SP was hardly 10 hours long. I bet people would still play MP2 today if it had multi-player. Dead Man Walking was a neat concept to keep players interested but they stopped releasing official levels for it after only a few months.

While I liked Kung Fu mod, other than the new dodge moves, the actual melee part was useless against any armed enemies.

While writing this post I searched fileplanet for MP2 mods. Along with Kung Fu and other gameplay mods which only effect vanilla SP, there are also total conversions (released in 2006 no less :eek:). Whole new single player experiences, I've got to try them out. Luckily I still have the MP2 box, manual, and cd's. After I finish Doom 3 again (which I also still have the box and everything else that was in it) I'm going to be knee deep in bullet time
new2gunsfiringv110jq.gif

Upvote 0