• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad RO Tactical Realism Community

Talk of RnG and nade spamming has come up. As far as TR policies regarding this are concerned, the practice must both be tactically advantageous and it's execution, situationally realistic. A few of the rules we use on the 3rd Shock Tactical-Realism server (I'll be representing us) don't correspond to the standard flavor others abide by. From what Borodin has said in this thread and Viktor in our old meetings at the 11SS ventrillo, I think the 181 are in-line with us on this. Let's tackle these issues separately ....

RnG:

Some other servers require a player to fire in iron sights at all times. An exception is made if surprised in combat ...but after firing an initial burst, you're expected to raise iron sights. This tactical-realism limitation was useful in other games where one could exploit his/her cross-hairs when not in IS, however it's an unrealistic requirement in OstFront 41-45.

Project SALVO concluded that the main factor in inflicting casualties in infantry combat was solely rounds fired — aiming had negligible impact. In 1948, the Army organized the civilian Operations Research Office (ORO). Over 3 million battlefield reports from WWII were analyzed and over the next few years they released a series of reports on their findings.

"Their basic conclusion was that most combat takes place at short range. In a highly mobile war, combat teams ran into each other largely by surprise; and the team with the higher firepower tended to win. They also found that the chance of being hit in combat was essentially random — that is, accurate "aiming" made little difference because the targets no longer sat still. The number one predictor of casualties was the total number of bullets fired." - Robert S. McNamera

^ this cold realization after FIBUA experience during WW2 lead to the adoption of smaller caliber intermediary rounds in the 50s, 60s and 70s which were less likely to hit and less likely to kill but because of their smaller size; more rounds could be carried and their weapons could fire at a higher rate with negligible recoil. This fact expresses the trust our world's militaries have in the concept of sheer small arms firepower over precision in FIBUA.

To be blunt, RnG as we've used the term before is a historically accurate technique ...and post-war studies by the US and USSR corroborate that fact.

Having said that, the 3rd Shock does have RnG rules. We've only refined the definition deciding that ...

A.) hip-shooting was OK, and that...

B.) hip shooting while in motion (either accelerating or with a static velocity) was OK.

...but that one couldn't strafe left and right while hip-shooting or to be more exact: No vector* acceleration while firing an automatic weapon. ...since RO:OST doesn't model the inertia of a firing weapon accurately, and the effect that would have on a change in direction. That definition is iron clad, and it's easy to tell weather someone is strafing, zig-zaging or looping while* firing an automatic weapon. So technically ... you can run* as you gun*, just don't change direction. This of coarse can be fixed with a mutator/mod/patch in which a weapon's inertia is modeled.

Nade Spamming:

In some other servers, throwing a grenade at an enemy you haven't seen is prohibited. Reasonable exceptions to that rule are allowed with about every other realism server. It was Soviet policy to throw a hand grenade before entering a door, window, room, hall, stairwell, or any other entry point ... while engaging in infantry combat over "built up areas". Nagels mentioned those exceptions (clearing an enemy building and nading enemy smoke) so this may be at a general concensus now ...at least in this thread.

What's everyone else's two cents on RnG and nade spamming?
Post any new thinking and keep the thread relevant.

Upvote 0
Great post Koba,
I concur with the point about shooting from the hip. Real world, you're looking out of a window down the sights at someone, you're about to make him a present of his ass. Suddenly a noise behind you, to save time you brace your rifle/smg etc against your hip, you spin round and try to nail the guy. It happens, and its realistic, no arguments there at all.
For contrast ... MOHAA people running down the street upper bodies moving left to right while lower body zig zags down the street, firing huge amounts of ammo incredibly accurately......in a word PISH!
We need to allow hip shooting in the 'right' circumstances and Koba pretty much nailed it there.
Incidentally before I deployed on Op Granby (Desert Storm to the Americans) after extensive training at the ranges we fired a few hundred rounds from the hip on 'full auto' with SMG's. At a distance of 25 yards it was incredibly difficult to hit a target. The easiest way was to fire and then try to direct the 'splash' onto the target.Of course on full auto you often ran out of bullets before you were on target :)
Nades again, spot on mate.

Upvote 0
Hipshooting isn't an issue as long as its performed statically, rotating while remaining on the same footing or moving in a straight line.

Its the zig zag pee pee running while hipshooting thats the issue.....this is run and gun.

Nading is allowable while clearing an area before assaulting, room clearing, enemy presence detected and enemy smoke is open season.

This is my understanding of the previous posts, feel free to knock me off my perch if I'm mistaken.

If I'm correct in my understanding then we have a general consensus on what the guidelines are.

Upvote 0
Discussion went cold in this forum a couple weeks ago. We agree on TR game play rules and there's a consensus that the (1 life per round, equal numbers) break down of EFO is biased towards the defending side. Reinforcements in waves of 5 on a 16vs16 match (scaled down accordingly in smaller matches) or a 5 minute respawn time with gratuitous waves being awarded to one side or the other on certain unbalanced maps are ways around this. Another fault of EFO is that there are 3x as many axis units as there are allied ones. This new RO-TR league (being non-historical) would allow units that play both sides as well as those that play all Axis and all Soviet, remedying that problem. This of coarse necessitates a simpler challenge/accept model for setting rounds without the high commands and extras of EFO. We've had a thorough discussion in this forum and have fielded a list of representatives from interested clans. The next step is assembling a quorum of unit reps to make final arguments and decisions on our guidelines in a live forum. This final (or near final) discussion, will be held on our voice server...

IP: 8.9.36.41:8773 PW: odessa
1pm 2-18-06 PST (GMT - 8) in the private chat room, PW: - tactics.

This is the list of RO-TR reps as I've gathered....

FGJ - Nagels
ICM/8GA - JudgeMental
3.SA - Koba
181TB - Borodin
503rd - K Rohm
3.SS - Eisenburg
5GJ - Graf
7.SS/CoreNA - Vader

Please correct me if I've missed anyone. Once we get this thru the door ... we're on to setting up a website and making our first challenges.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Simplification and non complication would be best with any setup, before we run we should first take some logical steps before any decisions are formatted.

On this might I suggest the following, set up a forum accessible only by the aforementioned reps.

On this forum the discussions re the various options could be accessed, discussed etc etc.

Remember the reps have to thrash out the options and issues with their respective clans.

Ventrillo or TS meetings may not be accessible by everyone on a mutual date, the forums would give the time nescessary. Allowing each rep to discuss the options within their own clan as well.

It would be an awful lot easier to have discussions on a forum in this regard.

The written word is eminently more traceable and accessible for getting everything setup and formatted.

Upvote 0
The clan reps are asked to register on the forumboard http://rotr.eamped.com/

The boards have been setup in order to allow each rep the opportunity to forward their clans input in relation to guidelines etc.

Firstly the reps must register , there will then be areas accessible only by the reps.
These areas are where any discussion and /or suggestions will be formatted and the general guidelines set in place.

Upvote 0
Out of 7 reps who confirmed with me that they'd be at the quorum, only 2 showed. They were relatively new to what we were doing so we had a briefing followed by a discussion/argument and overall it was a productive meeting. However, nothing could conclusively be decided since most reps were absent. The ROTR forums are dry. I just think we're loosing sight of our goals here. Contact me if anyone's making progress.

Last edited:
Upvote 0