• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wide monitors

I use an Apple 30 monitor. I just bought a Sony Bravia 46" 1080P. Will tell you how it looks in a couple of days. It should be fine.

you are damn monster :eek:

I am not yet convinced about wide screen, it still hasn't got great support from new games, and I like the height of a normal 4:3 19" screen which means I'd have to go for a very expensive 24" + model...

I belive most of new games support wide screen, also many games take resolution from system so there is not problem... you can create your own resolution and use it in game (ie I had to play Oblivion in 1280x800 and it was OK)

Height of 20" widescreen LCD is 27 cm (my model) my old 19" CRT was 27,5 cm high...

Upvote 0
I am not yet convinced about wide screen, it still hasn't got great support from new games, and I like the height of a normal 4:3 19" screen which means I'd have to go for a very expensive 24" + model...

I'll probably wait till the prices drop next year, as I am very happy with my new 19" Viewsonic with its almight 3ms response time.

You don't have to go that big to get the same vertical height.

CRT monitors are size rated by the tube size, not the visable screen size so your 19'' is really only 17-18'' viewable (depending on the make). A rating ripoff really.

LCDs are measured properly as viewable only.

So to get the same 10.8'' approx vertical height of your 19'' CRT mon, you only need to go to a 20.1'' wide screen which gives you the same height and 3'' more width. Viewsonic have some nice ones for $300 cdn. Looking myself.

T.

Upvote 0
I wonder what kind of fps I would get if I used my screen to its limits.
I have a P4 3.2 with 1 gig ram, a 6800GS and an X-fi soundboard.
My monitor is a 24" Sony CRT. What is a good tradeoff between a nice resolution and good fps?

1680x1050 or 1600x1000 but with a 6800 GS you might aswell just run 1920x1200.

your processor will hold you back not your graphicscard just put everything to full and you won't see any difference.

Upvote 0
Reece,
Proper support for a widescreen depends on your video drivers and specific games. My laptop has a 1920x1200 screen and Windows supports the resolution, but some games don't. When I first bought it, games that don't support widescreen would run in 1600x1200 resolution and would stretch out to fill the screen and look terrible. Later I found an option in the nVidia drivers to choose whether it stretches an image to fit or adds the black bars. I switched it to the black bars and now run 1600x1200 games and I don't even notice the blank screen area.

The good news is that most new games I've been playing support widescreen. RO supports it because UT2004 did, and so it follows that UT2007 and all its derivatives will support it. X-Plane is interesting: It has a minimum resolution of 1024x768, but it will let you set any resolution between the minimum and 9999x9999.

Upvote 0
yeah people dont understand resolutions and such that is why I stopped playing console games back in 1999 the 1024 and 1600 resolutions got me sold on Pc games. A good 4:3 ratio and 1600x1200 20" is pretty bad ass and you would need to get a quite expensive widescreen such as 1900x1600 to top that otherwise the prices are going down on widescreens that is why its a good deal.

I used corel draw and 1400x900 is pretty much equal to 1280x1024. that is one has the same ammount as the other one just hangs over on top and one hangs over on the sides.

1400+900=2300

1280+1024=2304

The place they get you also is saying a 19" widescreen is measured from corner to corner and basically is smaller. I dont feel like doing the geomerty and math but I would say you need a 24" or at least a 22" to equal the height of a 4:3 19" monitor and thus can brag that you truly have some extra true"widescreen space" otherwise you really have a smaller monitor when going widescreen size wise.

Upvote 0
I used corel draw and 1400x900 is pretty much equal to 1280x1024. that is one has the same ammount as the other one just hangs over on top and one hangs over on the sides.

1400+900=2300

1280+1024=2304
Ouch!

To calculate the area, you need to multiply the hiehgt with the width, not add them up.
That way, you can easily compare whether the visible area is equal, larger or smaller.
This is the best way to compare different display sizes and ratios, the largest area is ususally the best.

As in your example, that gives:
1,400*900=1,260,000
1,280*1,024=1,310,720

As you can see, the latter wins, and by a greater difference than in your example.
Still not that much of a difference, though.

Upvote 0
the ratio of your answer should be the same as my answer

No, it isn't.
Ratio of both results in my solution:
Ratio of your solution:

I just put the lowest common denominator its easier to compare.
Easy does not necessarily mean mathematically correct.

either way one resolution lets in only 4 pixels extra along one side.
Huh?
:confused:

Upvote 0
My roommate has a 61" Samsung HDTV 1080i, and RO looks brilliant on it. No pixelation. You do have to set the resolution size in the .ini file, though. He hates RO so I don't get to play it much on the TV downstairs. Mostly, I'm on my 19" Viewsonic (non-widescreen) 8ms rr, 700:1 contrast ratio.

All I'm going to say is the the experience on the HDTV with sound through his surround system, especially on big tank maps is...ooooOOOOOOOOOOh. The way it was meant to be played. :D

Upvote 0
Excuse me but I would like to ask, if I ran at 1360x768 on a 27" wide screen and on another that measured 24", which would give a crisper/clearer image, or would they both have exactly the same definition !
As far as the eye could see...
Logic dictates that, given the same pixel count, if the diameter is larger on one model compared to the other, the pixels themselves have to be bigger.
This is what's given by the DPI figure.
High DPI (dots per inch)=small pixels and vice versa.

Sitting the same distance on front of both models, the smaller one would give you a clearer image, as it means your eyes will have a harder rime making out single pixels.
You may also disable FSAA in some cases (ususally dpi >= 120 for PC displays).

OTOH, the large model allows you to sit back a bit further and, say, relax on your couch while playing.

Really depends on how you want to play.
The larger display may also give you a better immersion effect simply because it's big.

Upvote 0