• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The Armed Assault thread

I don't really understand the fuzz about trackIR. I mean, it just seems so weird to move your head when the screen stays still. If the computer screen would move on some rails with your head movement, it would be awesome.
If you want to pay thousands of dollars to get some kind of thing rigged up to move your screen in such a fashion, by all means, go for it.

I'm happy with a TrackIR myself. If you don't understand the appeal of them, they just might not be for you.

"Moving your head when the screen stays still" does not feel weird when you're doing it. It takes maybe five minutes to get used to, and maybe a few days to fully master the 6DOF stuff. The level of immersion and SA that it gives you is absolutely unmatched.

Upvote 0
Okay guys, you'll hate me for this, but:

My ARMA-Copy has just arrived and hit my desk =D It's the german one. Sadly, i have to work till this evening. Ha, it is good working for an online-mag =D

arma.gif

Upvote 0
By the Dsly, your videos are pretty incredible, and I'm very tempted to invest in the Track IR technology myself for games such as ARMA. Also, the damage effects in those still images are wonderful- I love the way the blood is treated on the arm for example.

Tripwire should ask for some Track IR SDK and freebies for yourself, and implement in RO. ;)

Upvote 0
There's a program identical to TrackIR that can be used with a webcam. You just have to configure it to track like a white dot on a hat while you sit in front of your webcam. It does the same thing as TrackIR and it's free. The name of the program escapes me though...
No, not even close.

The TrackIR tracks 6DOF at 120fps and is something that is specifically coded to be supported in a game. It has a configuration suite that allows you to set up different profiles for various games, change the acceleration curve/sensitivity/deadzone/etc, and so on and so forth. It's designed for the purpose, and cannot be replicated by a webcam and a white dot.

The thing you're talking about by comparison is an EXTREMELY crude 2DOF motion-tracker. They're not comparable. Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you want to be able to do what I did in that video, you're going to need an actual TrackIR.

Upvote 0
Holy crap, that is just way too cool for words. I'm amazed. Congratulations Dslyecxi, I think you sparked the interest of many people with your videos of TrackIR. Man, I sure hope this will become a standard in the realism-based games of the near future.

I have a question though, how big is the device itself (height)? Can I easily put it on top of my monitor? Also, how durable is the stuff? Will it break down easily or is it pretty robust? Also, do you think it's suitable for faster paced games like RO as well?

I'm tempted to buy one for sure :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a question though, how big is the device itself (height)?
It's very small. Much smaller than you might expect.

Can I easily put it on top of my monitor?
It has a three-pronged base that can clamp down to an LCD monitor or act as a tripod base for a conventional monitor.

Will it break down easily or is it pretty robust?
It shouldn't see any rough use - it's meant to sit on top of the monitor and can securely clamp to it.

Also, do you think it's suitable for faster paced games like RO as well?
Sure. It's just a question of getting support for them. I know that Insurgency for HL2 is working on doing TrackIR support.

Upvote 0
I use a trackir for Lock-On ( a flight sim) and can vouch for its usefulness for that kind of play. After a short while, the initial awkwardness of moving your head, goes. There is no way I could play a flight sim without one now and I am looking forward to playing Black Shark ( a heli sim) with it, most of all.

As for its use in an fps, that is something I cannot comment on until I try it but it is defintely one of the first things I am going to try when I get a copy of Armed Assault.

The things aren't all that cheap so I would advise anyone who is thinking of getting one, to see if they can get hold of a friend and try it first (ok I realise that is more easily said than done).

Have a look at the trackir website and the accompanying video files if you want more info at http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

Upvote 0
AHAHAHAHAHHAHhahahhahahahahhahha

Armed Assualt is awesome, not only do I get to relive OFP again, but Red Baron 3D as well.

Yes, all those things in the distance are planes

Hes a goner

OH GOD (and theres even more to the left and right)

When its release in the US and UK, we should get everyone on the forums who owns a copy to join in for a forum dogfight :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0