• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Commander snatching

Colt .45 killer

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2006
There must be some way that the commander position can be made to look less like it were a naked women, who attracts all the noobs to her. i am extremely sick of people just saying "hey, i wana try the g41, or the ppd40", so they grab commander, and throw a total of 1 smoke nade, and call down a total of 0.0 arty strikes. now ive heard people say "you dont need the commanders position to command your men", yeah, thats true but it sure helps to have the commander position. when your the commander and actually acting like it you can assist your men with smoke.

anaways, the basic reason for this rant/idea, is to ask you people of the community, how do you suggest that we make the commander a less "GIMIE" of a position, so that people who want to command can have that position?

i would start with the suggestion that guns like the g41 or the ppd 40 should be REMOVED from the commander spot, for fudge sakes, those guns are considered inferior to later guns like the g43 and ppsh 41, so the commander would be getting the best weaponry possible!

anywhays, seeing as more brains is better, let me hear your ideas for ways to make the commander a position that noobs will NOT take just for the gun?

I would remove all rifles from the commanders possesion. MP-40, 41 and occasionally STG only. For the Russians, I say PPSh and PPD. The commander was purposely given SMG so they would not be tempted to join the squads fire at distant enemy positions. They were supposed to lead, and only use it in close quarters combat for self defense.

Upvote 0
I would remove all rifles from the commanders possesion. MP-40, 41 and occasionally STG only. For the Russians, I say PPSh and PPD.
I second that, but the "newbies" seem to be keen on automatic weapons, so I don't think it would change that much. Imo they choose commander cuz often the position is free while the other "auto"-classes are already full when joining a server.

Upvote 0
anywhays, seeing as more brains is better, let me hear your ideas for ways to make the commander a position that noobs will NOT take just for the gun!

Remove all Semi Auto Rifles for the commander class. I am pretty sure Commanders were armed with SMGs, so they can keep that. Maybe a way to prevent people from picking commander for his weapons, is reduce the amount of ammo he has for his SMG, but he carries more MG ammo, so that he can be more helpful for MGers.

I am sick and tired of stupid noobs who pick the Commander because he has the pretty and shiny weapons, but they never use Smoke, or call in arty, and they never lead there team.

I second that, but the "newbies" seem to be keen on automatic weapons, so I don't think it would change that much. Imo they choose commander cuz often the position is free while the other "auto"-classes are already full when joining a server.

I have an idea to prevent that, but it may be very unrealistic and stupid. Strip the commander of all his weapons, and he only has a Pistol, smoke, binocs, and tons of MG ammo. However, I would prefer my other idea above over this one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seems we all agree that giving commanders rifle's isn't the best idea. I say MP-40 and PPSh is what they should get. The PPD-40 is rare(Basovka only for Soviets), along with the MP-41. The PPS-43 was given to tankers, paratroops and recon units. So that's out for the commander also. Maybe make some sort of commander vote like in BF2 (I know, it's not that good of a game) but this way we can choose someone who would actually be good with the kit.

Upvote 0
hrm , alot of good ideas here, among the best. i would say a "training" mission, somewhat like americas army traning missions would be the best. it would prevent not only commander snatching, but also the snatching of assault, mgs and snipers. however i would like to see the commander training beinng excessivly difficult unless you actually do your job. perhaps a few "if you were in this situation", then you list off what would be the next 5 things you would do. i know this would be hard, because theres no "accounts" as is right now, just your player name. UNLESS we could find a way to have the info from your passed training missions saved in with your steam account, and find a way to make everyones individual so as not to be a "just dl this and put it here and you can take sniper!".

it would be very nice to have a training session for each class, it could give basic info, telling people to strum the mg trigger on german team, and giving them some tips on leading and estimating distace drop for scoped rifles.

for the commander position though, i think that having voip should be mandatory, so you cannot take the position without a mic plugged in and working, commanders without mics are as good as noobs who just took the spot for the gun, noone listens to those auto voice commands, or really reads text orders.

as to the weapons the commander gets, thats also a good idea. he shouldent be getting rare gem weps. if nessicary make a special class that gets the 1 or 2 g41s, dont give them to commanders. it would be nice if the commander had some special abilites, like multiple mg supplys, or the ability to resuply riflemen.

not to say i want the commander to be superman, but i really beleive that his teamates should get big bonuses by his being in their area or their cap zone. now while the commander already counts as 2 people in a cap zone, perhaps he could reduce the ammount of motion blur his comerades get? just things that would emulate how soldiers would be more courageous with their squad leader next to them, to them; he was practically a hero.

Upvote 0
I totally disagree with the idea of voting in a competent squad leader.

Relying on getting the squad leader voted in all of the time, means that any so called noobs are never going to get the opportunity to use artillery or smoke grenades and can therefore not get the experience required to learn from their mistakes, on how to become a good leader. (we were all noobs once)

Also, once (known) experienced squad leaders are no longer in the game, then who do you vote for? I could not tell you a single name that I recognise as a good squad leader, apart from Colt45 and 181 Lapa Kota. It would usually be a total lottery. I just dont think that voting is the solution.

Generally I don't find it a massive problem on any of the servers I have been on. A little gentle persuasion to whoever has the squad leader position, with some suggestions as to what a squad leader should be doing and I find they will usually try and carry it out. (In relation to smoke and arty)

I do however also think that by limiting the choice of weapon, (give them a bolt rifle instead of SMG's) and you would find that the squad leader position is far less desireable and would usually be taken by someone that knows what they are doing with it.

Upvote 0
Commander voting. Allow ****ty commanders to be voted out.

Good idea. Vote bad commanders out from leading position, not completely out from game of course.

I really want to give change to every player to be a commander, good or bad. It makes this game more realistic, not every commander was veteran in war. Everybody should have a chance to be squad leader, I don't like training to be mandatory like in America's Army. I hate that game becouse of that. But I don't hate training, only that if it would be mandatory, which isn't fun anymore. This game needs scripted training missions for all classes, where player is teached what to do with every class. Then it would be easier for newbie to be whatever class he wants.

I think more bigger problem is how to get players obeying commands. No matter how good or bad commander is and with voip or not, players are just doing what they want. Players seem to think that I don't listen to that f***er, I do what is best for me or for someone else. There is no way you can make all players to obey commander. That is why commander should be voted off if he is bad, everybody can make their own choice.

Upvote 0
Commanders are useful for smoke and arty, and commanding any bots that may be around. It is unlikely most players will obey the commander unless he seems to be at least halfway competent with orders regarding attack and defense. Players are just as likely to obey another player who is using VOIP and text chat and making good suggestions. If you can get about 1/3 of the players or more to actively cooperate on a team, you stand a good chance of winning. The rest of the players may be doing alright, or at the very least offer themselves as alternate targets to cooperating players.

However, I don't feel you need to change anything about the commander position. If you get a bad commander, coach him, ask him to maybe switch class (but not with a "give up the commander spot NOOB"), or just ignore him.

If a commanders actions constantly get people killed (calling arty on own position etc), by all means vote him out if voting is enabled.

---------------------------------

The voting out of a bad commander suggestion (to rifleman class maybe) would make an interesting mutator though...

Upvote 0
Like in America's Army?

Yes. It's really the only way to teach new players how to command.

The player would learn how to win maps, what's the best way to command, when to use smoke, etc. It would also come with a test that checks whether you have a mic plugged in or not. Because without a mic, you can't be a very efficient commander. Without a mic plugged in, you can't unlock the commander class. :D

Crusher, 90% of the players wouldn't even watch those tutorials. People are lazy.

Upvote 0