• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Weapons Discussion (Merged)

You're advocating spending the time to put in a handgun that even in its day was a silly gimmick of a design. The animations for a revolver are going to be completely different than anything in the game already, so it will probably take a while to make, and almost no one would use it when given the choice, except maybe for laughs.

For historical completeness it should be there, but I don't see the point in taking all that time to put in a gun that the average player will hate when we already have a viable pistol. There's so many other things they could spend their time adding to the game that would add not only to the historical accuracy but also the gameplay.

Where do you get the idea that it would take "all that time" to put it in?

It was already in the Mod so IOW, it already exits. It would be very simple to add it to ROOST AFAIK.

And it may be silly to you but it is historically correct. That is what ROOST is about, being historically accurate and realistic.

Upvote 0
If this was added, i sure as hell would risk my game life to grab one from a dead officer, as i allready do for the TT.

Good. Leave it for me.

And thanks for leaving it alone.

There is an old saying that us gun collectors and owners have:

The .22 you have in your pocket is deadlier than the .45 you left at home.

Just food for thought.

Upvote 0
The .22 you have in your pocket is deadlier than the .45 you left at home.

My thoughts exactly, (but you said it nicer :p), which is why I want a little help confirming if the Nagant Revolver was issued to normal soldiers while officers got the better semi-auto, because if that info is true than I am sure any soldier would pick even the Nagant over their own fists.

(And if that info was true and implemented, it would only be on a few maps were it would be appropriate.)

Upvote 0
SA Nagants were originally made for enlisted men, DA for officers. This was done so officers wold have a fire power advantage over regular soldiers. All this was done before the revolution. After the revolution. All Nagants were built as DA revolvers. However, some SA trigger groups made it into later revolvers during the refurb process.

Upvote 0
Where do you get the idea that it would take "all that time" to put it in?

It was already in the Mod so IOW, it already exits. It would be very simple to add it to ROOST AFAIK.

And it may be silly to you but it is historically correct. That is what ROOST is about, being historically accurate and realistic.

Any new weapon would take time that they could be devoting to something else, and AFAIK, doesn't tripwire tend to redo skins/models/animations extensively for RO:Ost, rather than just use the ones straight from the mod? They want to maintain a certain level of quality and I believe they are under the impression that some of their older work is not up to their current standards. I am not a dev so I am not certain about this of course.

This "you disagree with me so you must HATE realism" argument is getting pretty old. I'd personally rather they spend their time doing other things, like making the current weapons animations more realistic for example. I've never heard anyone say they'd buy RO if it had a nagant, but I have seen people who are extreme gun/history buffs get a very bad first impression of RO from incorrect animations on smg's and rifles. And of course there are plenty of other vehicles, weapons, etc. they could add that would be realistic and fun.

Upvote 0
Any new weapon would take time that they could be devoting to something else, and AFAIK, doesn't tripwire tend to redo skins/models/animations extensively for RO:Ost, rather than just use the ones straight from the mod? They want to maintain a certain level of quality and I believe they are under the impression that some of their older work is not up to their current standards. I am not a dev so I am not certain about this of course.

This "you disagree with me so you must HATE realism" argument is getting pretty old. I'd personally rather they spend their time doing other things, like making the current weapons animations more realistic for example. I've never heard anyone say they'd buy RO if it had a nagant, but I have seen people who are extreme gun/history buffs get a very bad first impression of RO from incorrect animations on smg's and rifles. And of course there are plenty of other vehicles, weapons, etc. they could add that would be realistic and fun.

Get off your high horse and stop putting words in my mouth.

The Nagant was EVERYWHERE on the EF and that is a fact. It belongs in RO and even the developers know this otherwise it would not have been in the Mod in the first place.

If you personally do not want the Nagant in the game then fine. We don't care. The Mod version was just fine and would make a great inclusion to the game.

Your alleged justification that work on the Nagant model would somehow detract resources from some secret project to impove SMG animations is absurd. We CAN have both given time so there is no argument on your part not to include it.

Your opinion doese not have any more weight than the rest of us. :mad:

Why don't you start a separate thread with a vote on how many want the Nagant and who doesn't and see what the tally comes too.

Upvote 0
As for putting words in your mouth...

To me, that is you trying to suggest I am not advocating historical accuracy and realism in RO, which as I previously stated is definitely not my stance.

Tripwire has been great with updates, better than any other company I've seen, but the fact is we're never going to see everything we want in the game. It is inevitable that they will be shifting more and more attention to their next game in the future, and I'm saying there's other things I'd rather have while the developer's focus is still on Ostfront.

Back to the orginal topic for a moment... The 1895 Nagant, despite being historic and made in mass quantities, was really a wretched design. Ballistics somewhere in the neighborhood of a .32 ACP, slower loading than contemporary revolvers, and a double action trigger pull that's pushing 20 pounds. If it was going to be realistically depicted, you'd have to give an accuracy penalty for the ridiculous trigger pull, and even if you get hits it has less power than the Tokarev. Basically, if it was realistically depicted, it would be just as bad as in reality, and very few people would use it over the Tokarev.

I don't think they should make spend the time to put it in over other content that could actually be realistic and useful (and I'm sure the guys at Tripwire have plenty of good ideas they're kicking around). If they added the Nagant directly out of the mod and the animations, model, etc. were up to snuff then I'd be happy indeed, but I don't think TWI thinks everything from the mod is up to their current standards. If I remember correctly, they did choose to redo almost all of the game during their switch to a retail game.

Upvote 0
ITS EXPERIMENT TIME AGAIN!

i'm going to time how fast it takes me to pull the trigger 7 times (full ammo count) to see if trigger pull really makes a difference.......it took me 3 seconds!:eek:

and as for the .32 similtaities the germans used the sauer 38H, the Mauser HSc, the walther PPK, baretta m1935, and probably more that I don't feel like researching that all used the .32 caliber round. In the early part of the century the standards for handgun calibers were alot different than what we consider today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As for putting words in your mouth...

To me, that is you trying to suggest I am not advocating historical accuracy and realism in RO, which as I previously stated is definitely not my stance.

Tripwire has been great with updates, better than any other company I've seen, but the fact is we're never going to see everything we want in the game. It is inevitable that they will be shifting more and more attention to their next game in the future, and I'm saying there's other things I'd rather have while the developer's focus is still on Ostfront.

Back to the orginal topic for a moment... The 1895 Nagant, despite being historic and made in mass quantities, was really a wretched design. Ballistics somewhere in the neighborhood of a .32 ACP, slower loading than contemporary revolvers, and a double action trigger pull that's pushing 20 pounds. If it was going to be realistically depicted, you'd have to give an accuracy penalty for the ridiculous trigger pull, and even if you get hits it has less power than the Tokarev. Basically, if it was realistically depicted, it would be just as bad as in reality, and very few people would use it over the Tokarev.

I don't think they should make spend the time to put it in over other content that could actually be realistic and useful (and I'm sure the guys at Tripwire have plenty of good ideas they're kicking around). If they added the Nagant directly out of the mod and the animations, model, etc. were up to snuff then I'd be happy indeed, but I don't think TWI thinks everything from the mod is up to their current standards. If I remember correctly, they did choose to redo almost all of the game during their switch to a retail game.

How can you say you advocate realism and then not want TWI to put the Nagant in the game. You are contradicting yourself.

No, the Nagant was not the best but it's what they had. And it worked. And that is the entire point of puting it in.

And like I posted before, You would have the choice of the Tokarev TT33 so you can't ***** about the weaker Nagant. Why? Because nobody is going to force you to use it. Simply stick with the TT33. What is so hard to understand about that?

Again, your gripe about the Nagant is not even relative because you will have a choice of pistols and by default you will get the TT33 so you won't even notice the Nagant unless you look for it or get shot by it.

Are you SERIOUSLY telling me you would sacrifice the Nagant being in this game just for some better SMG animations? Are you for real?

Upvote 0