• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Damage and Death

AKA

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
I'm sure this will be in some way possible to implement, though maybe a bit tricky.

This is not a suggestion about bleeding, however, i think the system of death in RO could be improved a bit. What I suggest is say, that a player has taken a rifle bullet or 4 smg bullets, whatever would be considered to pretty much incapacitate the player, instead of having the player die straight away, have a sliding scale of death. So if a player is shot in the head death is instant, but a rifle shot to the stomach would start an invisible 'death timer' so the player has 5-20 seconds or whatever is deemed sensible, where his vision and ability to move and perform tasks is greately reduced.

I think it is slightly unrealistic when i am shot in thigh by a rifle man and i instantly die.

This is not bleeding so injuries that are deemed non lethal will not start any death clocks. If the hitbox system were more accurate then say a rifle shot through the heart would incapacitate instantly, whereas a glancing shot to the chest would not do anything.

Any comments will be appreciated. sorry if this has been mentioned before.

I'm sure this will be in some way possible to implement, though maybe a bit tricky.

This is not a suggestion about bleeding, however, i think the system of death in RO could be improved a bit. What I suggest is say, that a player has taken a rifle bullet or 4 smg bullets, whatever would be considered to pretty much incapacitate the player, instead of having the player die straight away, have a sliding scale of death. So if a player is shot in the head death is instant, but a rifle shot to the stomach would start an invisible 'death timer' so the player has 5-20 seconds or whatever is deemed sensible, where his vision and ability to move and perform tasks is greately reduced.

I think it is slightly unrealistic when i am shot in thigh by a rifle man and i instantly die.

This is not bleeding so injuries that are deemed non lethal will not start any death clocks. If the hitbox system were more accurate then say a rifle shot through the heart would incapacitate instantly, whereas a glancing shot to the chest would not do anything.

but if you were shot in the thigh by a rifle you would be considered combat ineffective and might as well have died.

Upvote 0
Kind of a neat idea...though I dont wanna be shot by half-dead enemies...

I would instead like to see more of a death animation/scene. Like when your shot, you drop your weapons (or at least cant use them) and blur out but can possibly still move very slowly until you fall/slump over and die with the screen gone black.

Would be nice, too cuz it would slow down the gameplay a bit. But I wouldnt look for either of these things anytime

Upvote 0
The idea isnt bad, but I guess that would result to a lot of people probably going at kamikazi attacks after being hit or being pissed off because they died although they "made it" into cover.

I'd prefer it if a bullet hit would actually be a heavy trauma for the player, including a heavy tumbling view (which would prevent accurate retaliation fire after being hit), maybe colors fading away slightly, plus some blur or the screen fading nearly black for half-seconds here and there (blink your eyes slowly "half" to get my idea). Oh, and a leg-hit would throw you down.
From a non-lethal hit the player would recover graduadly, how long it takes depends on the bullet and the hit location.
If it was a deadly yet not instantly killing hit, the effects would get worse quickly and maybe after 2-3 seconds the player would die as he does now (ragdoll takes over).

This would also add a lot of immersion imho, because currently the WWII guns shoot with mosquitos... "Outch! Dammit, another bit me! *BANG* I'll get you for that! *BANG BANG*" :p

Upvote 0

I like it. We could also put a medic class in there, he doesn't restore you to fighting fitness, but if he gets to the incapacitated soldier (whose death clock is ticking away) in time, he'll be able to stop the bleeding (which could take several seconds, to make sure late medics don't save everyone instantly) and the soldier will be OK, but with about the speed of having a shot leg. Possibly the medic can fail to stop the wound (randomly happens) and the guy dies?

And to bring it further, if the wounded soldier hits the roof on the stanima (or near it), the bleeding will start again. >=D

Upvote 0
howaboutnot, the bleeding wouldent be what was killing the soldier at that point. an besides medics of that time dident really have very good tools to use. what a medic should do is be able to "save" the guy by pressing his use button on that person , and the guy would be killed and re entered into the spawn que without the loss of a spawn credit. thats about the maximum i want to see medics in this game. if a shot will kill you 20 seconds after your hit, there isnt a frikken thing a medic, or even a whole er teem could do fer you.

Upvote 0
Also keep in mind when they had things like limping in the mod days people tended to kill themselves rather then walk around the map. If you died a slow death I can picture people killing themselves to skip the 30 seconds it would take to die.

Simple, make killing yourself cost two or three. So everytime you kill yourself(or even kill an ally) you lose a certain number of points.

Upvote 0

These kinds of alternate death type ideas come up once in a while. All sorts of discussions and ideas come up, some good. The reality however is that the general player base won't want things to get complicated so that it's easier to just kill oneself.
I think the current system models fairly accurately the effectiveness of a soldier after they are hit.
When hit you pretty much become ineffective to combat, likely in shock, scared, bleeding out perhaps, losing consiousness etc. THe game models this by making you die. Very minor wounds in real life and you can keep going, the game does this as well. You go red in the leg for example if wounded there and slow down for a few seconds.
Medics would be unrealistic as the medics from both sides would only get you to an aid station where you'd recover for weeks or be sent home (and yes, they did have them, both sides as someone suggested that they did not. Germans and Russians both had Red Cross protected medics just as the Western allies did). In game this would be silly.
I'ts fine as it is, and as realistic as possible without compromising gameplay. They have a lot better things to add and tweak up for us.

Upvote 0
Also keep in mind when they had things like limping in the mod days people tended to kill themselves rather then walk around the map. If you died a slow death I can picture people killing themselves to skip the 30 seconds it would take to die.

implement a suicide-option, although some people would think this is too far, you would shoot yourself, killing you instantly but you would loose some points, and make it so if you type /suicide in console you would also loose some points.

I think you should have a blurred vision with no sound, just you breathing, or maybe that "tweeeeeet" sound like when you're too close to an explosive.

Upvote 0
Kind of a neat idea...though I dont wanna be shot by half-dead enemies...

I would instead like to see more of a death animation/scene. Like when your shot, you drop your weapons (or at least cant use them) and blur out but can possibly still move very slowly until you fall/slump over and die with the screen gone black.

Would be nice, too cuz it would slow down the gameplay a bit. But I wouldnt look for either of these things anytime

Yeah, I agree with you :)

Upvote 0
Just not to get side tracked, I'm not suggesting medics here, im not suggesting having people be invincible. All i was suggesting was that to perhaps cause some fatal wounds to take a few seconds or more to incapacitate. Definately not for most kills, but say your lung is punctured by bone fragments or your stomach ruptures, you are going to die/pass out from pain and or blood loss, but maybe you'll be able to stand up for a few seconds before you pass out.

To me it seems unrealistic the scale of which injury incapacitates the player. Either he is slowed for a few seconds then is fine, or is instantly killed. I don't think some middle ground is unreasonable.

say you can't hold a rifle straight but you can at least pull the pin out of a grenade or something. More functionality for more time with lesser wounds and less functionality for lesser time with more serious wounds. A soldier with a bayonet wound to the stomach should be able to be 'combat effective' for at least a minute or 2. Wounds that would not affect a soldier during the normal life span of a RO player would not be taken into acount. I find it hard to believe that my player was hit in every body part including the head and I did not notice any significant impairment in abilities.

Under this proposed system players would not be wanting to kill themselves because if a wound would cause the player to be incapacitated for such a long period of time it would count as a kill so having a players legs shot to hell wouldnt result in crawling around the map, but having a players stomach pierced by shrapnel might say, knock the player down from the power of the puncture but not be so severe that the player would not survive for 10-20 seconds

I'm not talking about bleeding or anything, I think once a player has been fatally wounded he should die, just maybe not instantly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like it. We could also put a medic class in there, he doesn't restore you to fighting fitness, but if he gets to the incapacitated soldier (whose death clock is ticking away) in time, he'll be able to stop the bleeding (which could take several seconds, to make sure late medics don't save everyone instantly) and the soldier will be OK, but with about the speed of having a shot leg.

Please, make it stop...

Do some research on what shock does to the body, and you'll see why this is such a silly idea.

Upvote 0
I'd like for some more traumatizing deaths is all really. Like how has been stated about the screen sort of fading to black and such, maybe with the ragdoll skeleton slowing decreasing its rigidity in some instances so the person appears to be standing but going through a sort of death stagger before finalling slumping over and dying (if its possible, I'm not entirely clear on how the system works). Would also be nice to get some gut wrenching gurgling (shot/stab in the neck?), desperate wheezing, or screams of pain like in the latest trailer as well

Upvote 0