• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics "Infiltration" Tactic

Jhaxavier

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2006
This tactic can't be done in large scale games, but in 4v4-8v8 player games its quite possible to pull it off.

In maps like Odessa where Germans or Russians are very good at holding on or persistently attacking territory, get a little band of 2-3 guys together to take the VERY long route around the enemy. I do this tactic in Konig's Platz, too. Any map where you can take a route as far away from the enemy as possible but into enemy lines is valid.

Now, by infiltrating, you can do two things: Cause havoc behind their lines, capture points right after your teammates capture objectives required before their capture, or both.

An example: I was in Odessa with a 5v5 game. The Germans had us held back very good, but when I had the chance I avoided both the apartments and the square, out of the range of Germans. I did a little of both: sometimes I got very very close to their immediate spawn and attacked the building overlooking the square between spawns, killing the snipers inside, or simply went around to the HQ building. So I waited and waited, no one came, so I sat there until my teammates finally capped both objectives. Since I was, alone, sitting in the HQ, I immediately started to capture it, even before the Germans had a spawn established next to it! Then I told them to attack teh tower, then I got disconnected :mad:

A good use of it was displayed in this post. It was all running interference for my buddies, but when they can't find you in a mess of rubble and tanks, STG44s behind them can run incredible damage to their advance.

But the premise is the same: Get your teammates to run a lot of interference on one flank then get yourself or a small band of teammates to go around them to run interference to the enemy from behind, or to capture points directly after the required ones are done. :cool:

You like? C&C welcome

Last edited:
This tactic was discussed in another thread (that I started). To be honest, I find it to be "gamey."

Why?

Because in RO you are limited to 16 players on a side. This means it is WAAAAAY easier to "flank" the enemy and get behind them that it would be in an actual battle.

But the general concensus from my thread (which was a poll) was that most players find it perfectly acceptable to "sneak" around the enemy and cap zones that are nearly impossible for them to defend.

Personally, I play this game to shoot my gun at the enemy. If I wanted to play s00per-ninja d00d... I'd play Thief or Splinter-Cell or some other stealth-based game.

Upvote 0
War is unfair, RO simulates war, live with it.

Are you suggesting that it was common that one guy would go behind enemy lines, take over a tower and prevent the enemy from retaking it after he was killed? I don't have any other problems with unretakable objectives, but they are kinda silly when you can use an exploit like this to take them. Of course flanking and attacking the enemy from behind is realistic and totally acceptable, but using it to quickly take objectives is unfair in maps like Odessa.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
An infiltration to cap is a waste of manpower.. even a confused defensive German team can fall back or advance from spawn to the tower in time to stop it. You may be able to hold the tower and harrass them for a bit is all.. The squad leader has a .5 cap advantage but if you are doing this with a SL.. shame on you.. your smoke nades are needed elsewhere.

The only time an infilitration tactic is not a waste of manpower is if you can possition yourself to stop (or delay) newly spawned enemies from getting to the "front".

Upvote 0
Is it possible for devs to set it up so that an area can only be capped if gets held after some counter attacks?..........it would make gameplay a lot more realistic as opposed to guys being in positions of capping long before it's required.
Most positions were bitterly fought over in the Eastern Front..............no side gave up ground without trying to retake it.

Upvote 0
The cap conditions are scripted then coded into the map by its creator. A good map makes use of both unrecappable and recappable areas.

The map most of this thread refers to and the one .45 is talking about is based on a last ditch stand by basically German clerks and staff against a larger Russian force.. they are simply trying to delay annialation until ships can evac them.. so the caps reflect this by allowing the Russians to advance their spawn point without having to defend it to represet overwhelming force.

Snow Forrest and Kogniplatz are also excellent examples of how a map can be made more interesting through proper cap use by map makers.

You have to think in computer game terms.. a real defending force will fall back when available and then surrender (or fight to death) once trapped.. in a CG this can only truely be reflected in changing spawn zones to represent a force being overwhelmed and falling back to a new position.

Upvote 0
I've often used the 'diversionary tactic' mentioned in the last post. If I'm in a StuG and there's a shootout going on, I'll roll into the middle of it to draw fire and give my teammates a few extra seconds to load and draw down on the enemy while he's (hopefully) concentrating on me; if I can take one or two shots myself along the way I'll do it but I'm very lucky to last more than a couple of minutes.

If I die in the process, maybe I've given my team a few extra seconds to take THEM out; if I can roll in and get a quick kill shot I'm da man.

Upvote 0
Quite frequently this tactic is extremely necessary. Take StalingradKessel for example. A couple rifles and maybe an mg or sniper or two in the admin building can make the map hell for the Russians. You could take rifles up to the roof of the assembly hall, however you're still relatively out in the open, while the Germans have all those nice windows for cover. Or, you could have a single SMG take the underground passage from North Rail to South Rail, sprint up into admin, and clear out all the snipers impeding your progress while putting himself at very little risk.

Again, positioning a man or two in Assembly as Warehouses are capping is a valid and quite useful tactic. I will admit that advancing over an entire map, such as pre-capping the Tower in Odessa is pretty lame though, as once you're past the front, there really is no challenge to flanking.

Upvote 0