• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

BattleStar Galactica

The show absolutely rocks. I would not say it is referencing or inferring Iraq as much as any show concerneing an Occupation would. You could say it is referencing Soviet occupation of Afghanistan, German occupation of France and the Netherlands, Japanese occupation of Manchuria. There will be similarities between Occupations wherever they occur and I would not want the show to steer away from this course simply because there is one going on now.

After all, it is not like terrorists are being funnelled into New Caprica from neighboring nation states or that there are multiple groups competeing for power in a developing democratic government.

SPOLIERS AHEAD!!!

Baltar has officially signed his death warrant in the eyes of humanity. He had done enough to justify death several times over but had been able to cover it up weel enough. Now his signature is tied to the deaths of 200 people and others know about it.

It is great to see the divisions developing withing the Cylons. I wonder where it will lead.

The concept of the Cylons attempting to bring God to the Colonists is great. They understand human nature so poorly and make every mistake possible to inhibit the spreading of their religion. The best thing they could do is pull out of the camps entirely, set up missionaries and distribute literature, provide food and shelter regardless of conversion and simply let nature take its course. THey do need to keep humanity there but it should be easy enough to keep them cut off IF they had not direct interation with humanity aside from missionary and aid work. It is their integration of some humans into the the "government" that has allowed the codes to be stolen allowing communications with the fleet.

It is interesting how horrified the Cylons are at suicide missions / human bombs. They have all this faith in their god but at the same time the only time they will encounter an afterlife, if there is one, is if everything goes wrong. Cylons will willingly allow themselves to be destroyed only becasue they assume they are going to come back. Only the Six who had been abused WANTED to die and not be reborn. The concept to Cylons, that humans who have no rebirth as they know it, would willingly kill themselves for an ideal is utterly alien to them. Think about how it appears to a Cylon; what living sentient being would willingly end its existence simply to kill its enemies when there is no chance of rebirth and it is obvious it can never win? That is such a forgein concept I am certain the Cylons are scratching their brains.

What can I say about Starbuck. She woul dhave probably continued to kill that Cylon for years but by introducing the child their is a whole new dynamic. I am a parent of a 4 year old girl and have a boy on the way. When I heard the kid call out and the thud followed by silence my heart stopped. The view of the motionless body on the steps and blood hit me like a sledgehammer as I assume it would any sane parent. It made me want to check on my daughter rigth then and there and it is not surpising that it forced an emotional response from Starbuck. My question is, was it an accident?

Interresting that they had Zarek locked up the whole time. He does know a thing or two about insurgencies. I bet they release him now though. They used him, Roslyn and the others picked up from the camps to witness the execution of the 200 prisoners. The Cylons obviously think the witnessess will spread the word that the suicide bombings must stop and they know both Roslyn and Zarek command loyalty in the camp. I think though that Roslyn is going to move more towards Col Tigh's thinking after the slaughter.

Tigh is Da Man! Keep him off the booze, beat him up some, pluck out an eye and let him go. He has to be one of the best characters in the show because of his combination of faults and strengths and how they play out. God I love watching the guy even if I had wished him thrown out an airlock once or twice.

Lee Adama needs to put down the Jelly Donughts and get his ass on a Nordic Track. When his father told him to get his fat ass out of his office I cracked up. Perhaps Duala (sp?) needs to cut off his "Commander's Privledges" until he drops about 40 pounds.

I must wonder if there is a Cylon Reserection Ship about? If there is it would make a great target, even if just as a diversion.

I can't waite to see where this goes.

Upvote 0
Anyone else notice how it seems to be anti-Iraq propaganda? Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it seems to parallel what's happening in Bagdad right now very closely.

Yes, you are reading too much into it. As horrible as it sounds, any occupation like this more or less requires tactics like this. They horrible, but the only other option is to just stop fighting. Iraq is one, but there's also Afganistan, Isreal, Northern Ireland, Russia, Vietnam. One of the few occupations within the past century that didn't employ these sorts of tactics was Japan after World War II and that was simply because they just wanted peace. When you're occupied by an immortal force that has a massive firepower advantage you fight any way you can or you surrender. It's not commentary on Iraq, it's just a commentary on occupation. Whether it's religion, freedom, a dead wife, or some other cause there are those out there that will be willing to give their life to strike back any way they can at an opposing force.

BSG isn't commenting on Iraq, it's blurring the lines between the 'good' Colonials and the 'evil' Cylons.

Tigh is Da Man! Keep him off the booze, beat him up some, pluck out an eye and let him go. He has to be one of the best characters in the show because of his combination of faults and strengths and how they play out. God I love watching the guy even if I had wished him thrown out an airlock once or twice.

Yeah, this season really adds new depth to Tigh. You see it in the opener, when he orders the decks sealed off. You see it the episode where they're boarded by Cylons. And you see if when Adama is shot and he's in command (and desperately doesn't want to be). In the middle of a fight to the death, with the gloves off and no one to rein him in, he's in his element. He knows what needs to be done and he does it, no playing around.

What can I say about Starbuck. She would have probably continued to kill that Cylon for years but by introducing the child their is a whole new dynamic. I am a parent of a 4 year old girl and have a boy on the way. When I heard the kid call out and the thud followed by silence my heart stopped. The view of the motionless body on the steps and blood hit me like a sledgehammer as I assume it would any sane parent. It made me want to check on my daughter rigth then and there and it is not surpising that it forced an emotional response from Starbuck. My question is, was it an accident?

There's another element to this. Also we know that she had an abusive parent, and from the dvd commentary, we know that it's her mother, who was a Sgt. Major in the Colonial Military, who did it. So now she's in the military and she's got the child, that she should loathe, but can she repeat what her mother did to her? Even more, for Kara, who could never please her mother, wouldn't the ultimate revenge consist of being a better mother than her mother was to her? Or perhaps just living vicariously through her daughter's childhood?

Although, I am still skeptical. I don't fully trust the Cylons (or writers) so I'm not fully convinced about the child's lineage. It might be Kara's, but was the father really Leoben? Or was it just another human survivor? Until I see a DNA test back on Galatica I'm going to be taking this with a grain of salt. Until then though, Kara at least seems to believe that it's her's, so how she acts will be interesting.

ok..

Season 3? on Sky One?

in the uk?!...!

been waiting for this

Not sure how the broadcasting is going in the UK (Space up here in Canada got off their behinds and is showing it Saturady nights), but you can get them via the internet. I know that iTunes, for one, has them.

Upvote 0
Here are the commonalities between "New Caprica" and Iraq:

1. The occupying force considers itself "benevolent," even though the occupied peoples resent them (for the most part).
2. The occupying force is recruiting members of the other side to police/patrol the population
3. The "natives" are using bombs and explosives to dissrupt the occupiers activities. This escalates to suicide bombing where they target people who have been recruited by the occupying force.
4. (This one seems to be a political statement) The occupiers round up people at random and place them in prisons without any habius corpus.
5. The president of the occupied forces is simply a puppet of the occupiers. The difference is, Baltar was already president (I can hardly see the cylons replace him with anyone worse though).

I realize that most of these things could happen during any occupation. But I find it a bit surprising that suddenly the show goes in a TOTALLY new direction (During the season finale I thought I had a stroke or something in the last 10 minutes) during an election year. Maybe it's the black helecopters circling my house... :)

Still, the number of similarities is surprising. I feel like the show is trying to get me to sympathise with the Iraqi people... It's weird.

Interestingly, I find the show annoying (not talking about the occupation, but in general). It is better than most shows, but the entire concept of a show based on finding something (Earth) and we know that once they do, the show will be over, is kinda lame. Gee, I wonder if they'll find earth next episode... Probably not or the series would be over. I also don't care for how long they're stretching out the Cyclon's plans. We're in season 3 and we still don't have the slightest clue what they're trying to accomplish. Only now are we even aware that they decided their original plans have changed.

Finally, I find the whole "Personality upload up death" concept to be rather stupid. I'm sure given enough technological advancement, it would be possible. Just, as a plot device, I find it as an obvious method for the main characters to kill cylons only to have them show up a week later. Blah. It's too powerful. The only way the writers are going to get around something that can beam a soul lightyears away is with some OTHER stupid plot device.

Oh, and Baltar was able to get away with what he has so far because everyone else on the show is a moron. "Here, take this nuclear weapon. We won't ask you about it again ever." "Hey, you keep talking to yourself and acting otherwise completely strangely... Not only are we going to ignore this completely, we'll put you in charge of the only operation to identify who the cylons are. By the way, you'll need no assistants who might catch you doing your evil bullcrap." and "Hey, I just realized you've been colaborating with the cylons, but I'm not going to tell anybody because you're the president now..."

The entire series could have been resolved by someone realizing that Baltar was a nutjob (at the very least) and removing him from the ship. Via airlock.

Upvote 0
Yeah, this season really adds new depth to Tigh. You see it in the opener, when he orders the decks sealed off. You see it the episode where they're boarded by Cylons. And you see if when Adama is shot and he's in command (and desperately doesn't want to be). In the middle of a fight to the death, with the gloves off and no one to rein him in, he's in his element. He knows what needs to be done and he does it, no playing around.

When Tigh tells off Roslyn I thought it was great. To paraphrase "There is no difference sending a man out on a suicide mission with a Viper strapped to him or a bomb and I have done both." The man needs to be locked in a glass case that says "Break in Case of Cylon Attack."

Upvote 0
I remind you in the original series they did find earth
and then there was an entirely new galactica series and several movies about their advantures in earth which still was in its early 80s
adama going flashdancing
woot

and this political hijacking for scifi series
its not the first time it happens, wont be the last time
startrek enterprise anyone?

Upvote 0
I remind you in the original series they did find earth
and then there was an entirely new galactica series and several movies about their advantures in earth which still was in its early 80s
adama going flashdancing
woot

and this political hijacking for scifi series
its not the first time it happens, wont be the last time
startrek enterprise anyone?

Damn you for bringing that up! That series was horrible. They took everything good about the original BSG and flushed it down the toilet when they reached Earth. The show's budget was a fraction of its former size, most of the cast had fled and the only episode worth anything was the flashback episode which had Starbuck stranded on some planet after getting shot down with a Cylon he rebuilt for companionship.

One thing people always forget, the orginal BSG (not the Earth episodes) was only on for ONE SEASON. I don't know about any Earth BFG movies.

Once again, the current BSG has not done any political hijacking. So, there is an occupation. Its similarity to anything going on at present is minimal at best aside from it being an occupation.

Upvote 0
I also don't care for how long they're stretching out the Cyclon's plans. We're in season 3 and we still don't have the slightest clue what they're trying to accomplish. Only now are we even aware that they decided their original plans have changed.

You are wrong here.

We have gotten to know why the cylons attacked the humans. On several ocations during season 1 and 2 it has been clearly stated that they cylons want to extinct the humans because they (we) are a inperfect creation. Preatching forgivness and kindness with one hand and killing each other because of greed and power hunger with the other.

But as said because of the stir of emotions within 2 (well 3 if we count the other Sharon (yay <3 Grace Park she's hot! :D ) ) the plans have changed.

Well tbh I doubt the plans have changed for the cylons except for these 3 of them.

And I agree with the people saying you are reading to much in to this when drawing simmilarities to Iraq. This seems to me, to be a more general depiction of a people under ocupation by a force superior in arms.

EDIT:// And GOD do I feel nerdy for typing this much about a SF TV series ^^

Upvote 0
Yeah, this series has just started being aired in Sweden..we're on Season 1, so I just decided to ...eh..buy season1 and 2 :) Instead of waiting to see one episode each week :)

The pilot is just...awesome! It's better than Lost, which is getting weirder with each episode, they just keep adding more and more questions and leave alot of loose ends :(

Upvote 0