• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

You asked about patches...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ghad said:
You know:

I would actually like to pay for extra maps coming from Tripwire.

But please keep things like extra weapons, vehicles, uniforms and the sort free, so that every custom map will be compatible with any copy of the game.

I wouldn't want to see any extra content sold by Steam though. It would mean that many people can't get it (credit cards).
Unless Steam changes or rather adds some other payment options (direct bank transfers would be great)

BOT: Great news!!! Extra content is allways something to look forward to. Bug fixes are even better, specially if those fixes adres the tanks.

Keep up the good work, support and interest in the requests/suggestions!

Upvote 0
The inclusion of the M44 kind of bothers me because it makes me wonder which direction this game is going now.

Why? Because the M44 was only used experimentally at the very end of WWII. Does this mean we will also see things like the German MOUSE tank in the future?

On the good side, the M44 had a round reciever so if it is included I would guess that this means they will finally fix the Mosin PU Sniper rifle by using the artwork from the round reciever M44 to make the PU a round receiver rifle. So this may be a good thing in that regard. Could any developers chime in on this?

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
druid said:
Woooo, 2 new weapons, just like that :).

What role will the m44 fill though? I hope it won't completely supplant the m38 :/.

Well, it is essentially a m38 with a bayonet. One interesting thing about the m44 is that it was intended to be fired with the bayonet fixed, not folded, so it will be interesting to see if point of impact is negatively affected if people forget to fix their bayonet.

GonzoX said:
The inclusion of the M44 kind of bothers me because it makes me wonder which direction this game is going now.

Why? Because the M44 was only used experimentally at the very end of WWII. Does this mean we will also see things like the German MOUSE tank in the future?

On the good side, the M44 had a round reciever so if it is included I would guess that this means they will finally fix the Mosin PU Sniper rifle by using the artwork from the round reciever M44 to make the PU a round receiver rifle. So this may be a good thing in that regard. Could any developers chime in on this?

Any thoughts?

Where'd you come up with that?

Although the Soviet designed Mosin Nagant M91/30 rifle had served with distinction in The Great Patriotic War, the Soviet high command determined there was a need for a shorter and more handy bolt action service rifle for the Red Army. The savage street by street combat in cities such as Stalingrad clearly showed that a carbine length weapon would better satisfy the needs of the Red Army. While the earlier Model 1938 Carbine seemed to fill this demand, the lack of a bayonet was seen as a grave deficiency in Soviet circles. The Soviet Union was winning the war against Hitler with shear numbers of men and machines coupled with mass of attack. While the concept of soldiers with bayonets advancing in gigantic formations seemed antiquated to the militaries of the West, this philosophy was still a key factor in the Soviet order of battle. A new carbine whose bayonet would reflect this doctrine was deemed in order, and the concept behind the Model 1944 Carbine ( M44 Carbine ) was born.

The Model 1944 Carbine was designed with the earlier Russian Model 1938 Carbine as an official blueprint, with the only major deviation in overall design being the addition of some form of bayonet. Bayonet testing was undertaken in 1943, with a specimen designed by N.S. Semin becoming design of choice. The selected bayonet was a permanent side folder and seemed the perfect solution to the Soviet dilemma. The short length of the carbine would not be affected in normal use and the side- folding bayonet could smoothly be extended when necessity arose. The added convenience of a permanently attached 15.1 inch crucifix bayonet was that this was one less item the Red Army soldier would be forced to carry, or lose for that matter. The carbine can be fired with the bayonet folded in place or extended, but it is important to note that the M44 was designed to be fired with the bayonet in the extended position. This design fact means when the bayonet is not extended, the point of aim/impact changes. A small slot, or channel, was carved into the right side of the stock that allowed the tip of the bayonet to rest when not extended. This added groove is the only major stock modification that separates the M44 carbine stock from the earlier M38 carbine stock. Although one source states differently there were indeed "dimples" cut into both M91/30 and M38 stocks. These dimples are located behind the rear barrel band. M38 carbines can also be found in M44 stocks. As the M44 stock will fit both models production of the M38 stock was halted once M44 production was underway, since there was no real reason to produce two stock types when one would do. So M38 carbines made from 1943--1945 might well have been fitted with M44 stocks at the factory.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The initial production of the M44 Carbine began in mid-late 1943 at the Izhevsk Armaments Factory. There were 50,000* of these carbines produced in 1943 and they were quickly deemed a success in field testing. Final approval was given and full production began in January of 1944. Production was undertaken at both the Izhevsk and Tula factories during the war, although the production at Tula was on a limited scale. To locate a Tula made M44 Carbine is quite a find for the Mosin collector, as the Tula production was on such a small scale that many had questioned if Tula was even involved in M44 Carbine manufacture. We now know that Tula production of the M44 carbine only lasted a portion of one year, 1944. The exact number of Tula manufactured M44's is unknown but it is very clear that Tula production was quite small. While more examples of these have showed up in recent years, Tula produced carbines still need to be viewed as at least uncommon finds. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The round receiver was standard on M44 production but one can locate both Tula and Izhevsk carbines that make use of older hex receivers. This is much more common to see in the carbines from Tula but it is not a Tula only trait. It is assumed this was done on Tula carbines in an effort to assist in startup of production, as in 1944 Tula reopened its factory at its original location *Tula had been forced to move during the War due to Nazi advances. As such it seems that Tula was supplied with both round and hex receivers from other stocks to assist in production. One can surmise many of the older hex receivers seen are from rifles that were damaged in the fighting so were given a new life as a M44 Carbine. The use of the hex receivers at Izhevsk seem to point to use in 1945 which might be a result of the Soviets making use of stockpiles of damaged rifles from the War. Since M91/30 production was to be halted the receivers of these rifles were used in new production carbines[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WARTIME ISSUE[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The M44 was issued to a wide range of Red Army soldiers, as the carbine was not designed solely as an issue weapon to artillery, messenger, rear echelon or cavalry troops. Unlike Soviet and Russian carbines of the past the M44 was issued to front line infantry troops, and there is known Soviet war- time footage showing front line infantry troops armed with M44 carbines. In some of this same footage it was also noticed that a small number of the dreaded and feared NKVD blocking troops carrying M44's. The NKVD blocking troops were perhaps the most odious Red Army servicemen of the period, as it was their task to shoot any Red Army troops that attempted retreat without instructions.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The concept behind the mass issue of the M44 Carbine was quite a significant change in the historical Soviet delivery of carbines. In the past only certain troops, such as the artillery or similar troops mentioned above, were issued carbines. Both the Soviet and old Imperial Russian forces had historically theorized the full-sized rifles, like the old Imperial M91 and Soviet M91/30, were the best overall selection for infantry troops. The concept of the M44 Carbine being designed for the whole of the Red Army is quite a shift in this doctrine. For the first time a bolt action carbine was not designed to perform one role for one classification of soldier but was manufactured for all soldiers.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There has been speculation that this transformation in Soviet reasoning could be based in the remarkable success of the Soviet made sub machine guns. These short and handy SMG's had reeked havoc on the German lines, and the M44 was quite possibly assembled with this success in mind. The Eastern Front of WW2 was some of the most barbarous fighting in the annals of mankind, so a robust fast handling bolt action carbine would be appropriate in this genuine "Hell On Earth".[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Due to the late war production of the M44, it was never issued on the grand scale the Red Army had intended. In reality it would be inaccurate to call the M44 a commonly encountered wartime weapon as the fighting ended before a mass issue could take place. All troop reports concerning these carbines appear to have been quite complimentary, as the M44's short length (1020mm) and light weight ( 3.90kg unloaded ) was quite a relief from the heavier and bulky M91/30. The M44 was quite popular with the small number of troops that these carbines were actually issued to. Although the M44 is a bit hefty for a carbine, the bayonet and assembly is not what one would call light, the M44 is still an agreeable weapon for battlefield use. Many shooters feel that the M44 is one of the more natural point-shooting military surplus firearms; however, there are those that find the M44 a bit muzzle heavy.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Not issued en masse, but certainly not "experimental."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
akd said:
FYI to those unfamiliar

MP-41 (odd choice for a "frontline" weapon, although I understand it was in the mod)

M44 (not an odd choice at all, as many millions were made)
m44hardlaminateed.jpg

Yes, millions were made but only *AFTER* WWII. The few experimental M44s in WWII had negligable numbers IIRC.

In any case I *PRAY* that they do not screw up the M44 by giving it an incorrect hex reciever like screwed up the PU Sniper.:eek:

Upvote 0
akd said:
Well, it is essentially a m38 with a bayonet. One interesting thing about the m44 is that it was intended to be fired with the bayonet fixed, not folded, so it will be interesting to see if point of impact is negatively affected if people forget to fix their bayonet.

Where'd you come up with that?

Not issued en masse, but certainly not "experimental."

OK so If I read this correcty, it was not even issued out until 1944. This means that even if there were a good number of them out there, it would not have been until 1945. So are these going to show up on 1945 maps only then?

And since you seem to be knowledgable about the M44, can you tell me if Tripwire is going to make it with the correct 1944 dated round reciever?

Upvote 0
Captain_Crap said:
When you get drops to 30 fps (Barashka) on a 7900GT SLI system with 2 GBs of Ram... it's time for a patch. I applaud Tripwire for creating a not only an extraordinarily fun game... but a REALISTIC and skillful one as well.

Looking forward to the patch... once Tripwire demonstrates true commitment to the game with follow-up patches... I'll be happy to pay more and purchase additional titles. Let's see whqat they roll-out with before we offer to open up our wallets again. though guys!!!

My main concern is map optimization and refinement of realistic damage models. Of course the ability to MUTILATE enemy corpses after capping them would be nice too... but then again I'm sick like that...LOL!

Here's to what I hope is the next best sim developler next to 1C Maddox and the IL2 series.

Holly crap and you have a 7500GT SLI?? All I have is a single piss-ant ATi X600 PCIe and Barashka runs great.:eek:

Something wrong with your system, seriously.:confused:

Upvote 0
GonzoX said:
OK so If I read this correcty, it was not even issued out until 1944. This means that even if there were a good number of them out there, it would not have been until 1945. So are these going to show up on 1945 maps only then?

-->
full production began in January of 1944

And since you seem to be knowledgable about the M44, can you tell me if Tripwire is going to make it with the correct 1944 dated round reciever?

No. How could I? Even if I could tell you that, I could also tell you that some M44s were made with hex receivers, as can be read above (but obviously the majority were built on round receivers).

Upvote 0
druid said:
Woooo, 2 new weapons, just like that :).

What role will the m44 fill though? I hope it won't completely supplant the m38 :/.

It will never supplant the M38.

The M38 was used throughout the entire war.

The M44 was only used in small numbers in the very last year of the war.
This is why I am puzzled by it's inclusion as there are many other weapons used throughout the war that could have been included.

My guess is that the M44 is included because it may have been easy to throw in there due to existing artwork from M91/30 and M38 which means that it will most likely have an incorrect hex reciever. I certainly hope they do not do this.

I would have prefered they use the time throwing together the M44 to fix the PU first. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
akd said:
-->

No. How could I? Even if I could tell you that, I could also tell you that some M44s were made with hex receivers, as can be read above (but obviously the majority were built on round receivers).

Do you know how many? Have a picture of one?

Show me a man that owns a WWII issued Hex Reciever M44 and I will show you a rich man. That is how extremely rare they are.

This is why I am bothered by it's inclusion. I thought that ROOST was about realism. How realistic would it be to see an entire squad of 1942 soldiers carrying 1945 dated super-rare hex reciever M44s?

I really hope I am wrong about the hex reciever part. Honestly I am. If it turns out to be hex then I would be afraid that the game was taking a different turn in development than what the mod was originally intended for. The M44 was produced roughly from 1945 to 1953 so in essence Tripwire is including a post-war / cold-war weapon into ROOST. That in itself is bad enough, but if they make it a hex reciever that would make it totally unralistic IMHO. And the weapon wold only show up (or should) in 1945 dated maps like Berlin. How many 1945 dated maps does ROOST have?

What's next? An SKS? I don't like where this is going but that's just my opinion. An AVT would have been a wiser choice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
GonzoX said:
Do you know how many? Have a picture of one?

Show me a man that owns a WWII issued Hex Reciever M44 and I will show you a rich man. That is how extremely rare they are.

This is why I am bothered by it's inclusion. I thought that ROOST was about realism. How realistic would it be to see an entire squad of 1942 soldiers carrying 1945 dated super-rare hex reciever M44s?

I really hope I am wrong about the hex reciever part. Honestly I am. If it turns out to be hex then I would be afraid that the game was taking a different turn in development than what the mod was originally intended for. The M44 was produced roughly from 1945 to 1953 so in essence Tripwire is including a post-war / cold-war weapon into ROOST. That in itself is bad enough, but if they make it a hex reciever that would make it totally unralistic IMHO. And the weapon wold only show up (or should) in 1945 dated maps like Berlin. How many 1945 dated maps does ROOST have?

What's next? An SKS? I don't like where this is going but that's just my opinion. An AVT would have been a wiser choice.

You do realize we filter what weapons you can use by the year of the map right?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.