• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Vasilli Zaitsef or Major K

Vasilli Zaitsef or Major K

• Vasilli Zaitsev

Votes: 65 69.9%
  • Major K

Votes: 28 30.1%

• Total voters
I bought Enemy at the Gates for $5 the other day at Best Buy. I just couldn't resist.

There are inaccuracies of course, but it's a fun movie. It's like a bastardized, condensed Ostfront primer.

"OK... so let's throw in:

* The little simple but honorable Russian up against the hand-folded-cigarette-smoking German
* Get a little taste of the old Soviet Propaganda spin machine
* Start off with a human wave attack
* Whip out a Maxim MG to mow down the retreating suckers from said human wave attack
* Give those talented Russian female snipers some air (and lovely ass :p) time
* Get some HE-111's doing low level runs (?) over a moonscape-looking city
* Throw in Roger Rabbit's Eddie Valiant as Kruschev.

BAM! Instant Eastern Front!"

My favorite part about the whole thing is seeing the ol' Mosin Nagant get some screentime. Such a pretty rifle.

Inccurate or not, I'm glad the movie exists. A lot of people simply don't know anything about WWII outside of the Pacific and Western Europe. Many grew up thinking the Russians were always "the enemy", instead of an ally aligned against a common foe.

Hopefully the movie inspired some to do their own research and explore the history of that Ostfront.

Upvote 0
They're usually for the casual CS gamer who looked at the Username field and thought of the first war movie that popped into his head.

It's not their fault, they're just not as versed on the era and probably aren't dedicated enough to war games to think of anything else, although I bet in their native game they have a unique and memorable name, but when they hop on a COD or RO server they're all "kekeke I'm a solger man! Die natsies!"

Upvote 0
EvilAmericanMan said:
Luckily there aren't many Kalashnikovs! :D What really gets me riled up is when I see a Pvt. Parts or any retarded variation of that name. I think stale names like those names should be kicked when they join servers.
Those names actually make me laugh. I mean, we've got hilarious names out there, like bacon_flaps, Spork, Omlette, etc.. The more imaginative (or dorkily funny) the better!

However, there are certainly names that don't jive well with other, for very obvious reasons. "Hitler", "Stalin", "JudenKiller" and "Auschwitz" would be booted immediately since they reference real evil people or atrocities. Even if they're not so obvious (like if some screwball comes in named "Babi_Yar" or "Zyklon-B") they should get booted.

Even your own "EvilAmericanMan" rides a delicate line, since it get the blood boiling for people in different countries and cultures with different viewpoints on the U.S..

Upvote 0