• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Expanding the Beta testing...

Well at least we can look on the bright side, it will be interesting to hear of noobs experience and thoughts on the mod if they get the beta key. :)

Anyway, it's only for server stress testing. I just hope the thing is released mid March not the end of the month. The wait has been aggonising and I'm dying to get UT off my Hard Drive. Also better to have noobs sneeking a peak at Ost F than vets cause it will level the playing field when the final software is released. I'd hate to get on a server where a Vet has had some play time advantage and is owning everyone :p

Upvote 0
Oleg said:
Making the *serious* stuff like beta test into some sort of ultra lame Internet lottery is, well, lame. And this whole project is being lead by some sites I, quite frankly, have never even heard about untill today (it's not like this "beta lottery" is run on Gamespot or somesuch, so that it can be explained as smart pseudo-makreting move). It's just lame.

"N00bs" do not matter as such - as in "RO n00bs" but since whole thing is just a lottery obviously they will also get "beta test n00bs" ie bunch of guys who know nothing about how the serious, proper beta test is run, perhaps even guys who know nothing of RO as such (just signed cause they had nothing better to do. Would you want them as betas? It is quite obvious most posters here see the whole idea as just the opportunity to play the game before others, and brag around in front of their online friends (which, in itself, is understandable, but has *zero* to do with "beta testing" which is serious business). :cool:

So this is sure to make both veterans and n00bs (such as myself) not pleased. Veterans have every right to assume they should be IN, instead of some n00b who won the lottery.

But that's just my opinion, totally insignificant as it might be. More serious issue is that they talk about beta testing and "stress testing the servers" like couple weeks before the game is about to be released. I also noted (though I may be wrong) beta subforum on this site was opened like a week or so ago. What they were doing by now? March is already there, I have 1,8 GIG of RO stuff on my disk, serious beta testing should have been over loooong ago by now, leaving last couple weeks just for minor polishing.

Strange move, and that's all, now lets carry on as if nothing happened :D

O.

Stop talking out of your ass. The 1up beta keys are only being given away to the people who give the best reason. No lottery there. The tripwire team have had a proper beta team since there was a beta. This is just them trying to be nice to the whingy people out there who just can't hold on for another 2 weeks. Then how do you thank them for offering you this? You whinge. I can't take these forums anymore. They really are going downhill fast.

Upvote 0
Just so everyone understands, all of the 1UP keys have been given out. The editor who made the post, EGMShawn, said

EGMShawn said:
First round of winners have been notified--check your personal page messages. Note that I don't expect every winner to get back to me, in which case I will pick alternates on Sunday. Thanks for playing people!
Shawn Elliott
CGW
But, people kept posting and posting and it was pushed down.

You might still have a chance if some people didn't notice they got it, of course. With his message not visible, and they probably expecting an e-mail, there might be 2-3 we can get. However, it wasn't a matter of best arguemnt for getting the beta, one of the winners is a site veteran and said first:

daniel564 said:
And I would love to try it out come on shawn pick me
And shortly after
daniel564 said:
I really want this, I think it would be cool to test it and it sounds intresting from what I have read.If you choose me I will really enjoy it *Winks and editors*

:)
A matter of loyalty to subscribers, I suppose.

Upvote 0
No - there are more keys working their way out into the world over the rest of the weekend... and Mod DB aren't finished yet, although I gather they've taken quite a pounding. I think we may have underestimated just how keen people are to get their hands on the Beta!

And for those who think it is all "lame" and stuff, why haven't we worked through the biggest sites and all... well, we tend to work with those who work with us. The sites that are being offered keys are those we have worked with before and have good relationships with. Part of the reason is simply finding expedient ways to get this done: we don't have the budget to employ people to manage this sort of thing ourselves - and as devs we certainly don't the time right now.

Genuinely sorry if some people feel pissed/aggrieved at the hand-out. But we don't have the time and budget for anything big and smart on this! Hell - the game should be in everyone's hands in a couple of weeks anyway... :)

Upvote 0
malice said:
all your conclusion are based on opinions or guesses so we really dont know whats going on. Also there are 31 days in March so if beta testing started (which is didnt) on march 1st there are still 30 days of testing left and the game can go to steam the same day they finish testing. They have had a "core" beta testing group for a long time and I imagin that the new forums were added for the stress testing part of the beta. Also I'm not sure why you think serious beta testing should be over. I mean large game developers dont finish beta testing a game then sit on it for a month and just wait. Beta testing goes right up until the gone announcement which we have not seen yet.

Well I certainly hope you're right, and that this "core" test group did 99% of the job already. Most beta teams actually last long into "patch zone". I am still an active member of beta team for the game that was released more than a year ago (we still discuss improvements for patches etc.) But I was also a member of that same beta team like a year before the game went into distribution.

Upvote 0
Comon man

Comon man

Sleby said:
What do you mean you need to wait for your cc bill before you can fill in the steam bill? It only asks for your cc number, expiry date, name and some other things I can't member. Regardless, all that information is actually on your piece of plastic. I don't see what you have to wait for? :\

Dude...Dont be a rage whore.

It asks you alot of stuff have you actually preoreded?
Gameplanet asks you for cc number, expiry date, name but steam asks you for "some other things I can't member"-You and if you cant remember all those little things then it dosnt accept so go practise soilders cause your not that hot.

Upvote 0
THG repo said:
Dude...Dont be a rage whore.

It asks you alot of stuff have you actually preoreded?
Gameplanet asks you for cc number, expiry date, name but steam asks you for "some other things I can't member"-You and if you cant remember all those little things then it dosnt accept so go practise soilders cause your not that hot.

How was that raging? What do you mean go practise soldiers? Do I know you or something? :\

Upvote 0