• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Question about the move from RO to RO2

Why is that? Are the developers using completely new tools that required a rewrite from scratch?

RO2 is an entirely new game on a new engine, if that is what you are asking.

It didn't change much, people just stopped playing RO1 so long ago that they remember it as a rosier picture than it actually was. The gameplay of the two games is very similar.

As someone who played RO1 up to and after the release date of RO2 I will disagree.

Upvote 0
It didn't change much, people just stopped playing RO1 so long ago that they remember it as a rosier picture than it actually was. The gameplay of the two games is very similar.
I was playing RO1 and Darkest Hour right up to the RO2 beta. You're dead wrong in my view - the games are very different.

Upvote 0
It was meant for accessibility, e.i making it more arcade and dumbed down in order to appeal to casual gamers, which means the community that consist mostly of cod and bf-players interested about the game.

Unfortunately it failed. RO2 seems to appeal to none of these audiences. It's away to unforgiving and complex for the casual gamer and to arcade and simple for most of the old ro players along with the the arma community and the Operation Flashpoint: Red River. The effect for trying to make the game more accessible gave the opposite effect it seems. RO2 have created a whole new niche audience which is much smaller than the first one that was 'created' with the release of ro Ost.

It's a shame, really. If you add Roosters, arma, and operation flashpoint: red river community together you've got a really solid niche community.

Personally?

Well, I will just sit with my arms tight and wait for TWI to do something.
I have already payed for the game so I have no responsibility to fix all this up. Besides, I'm not even a game developer.

Upvote 0
RO2 seems to appeal to none of these audiences. It's away to unforgiving and complex for the casual gamer and to arcade and simple for most of the old ro players along with the the arma community and the Operation Flashpoint: Red River.

You completly summed up by toughts.
With such new features that are actualy realistic (like the somewhat bugged cover system) it became much easier to play than RO Ostfront.

Upvote 0
Demanding an ostfront mode is no use because its not going to happen.
Also its a 100% not constructive way of critisism.

You should sum up what parameters should be tweaked in order to make the game better and not demand that all the new gameplay gets completely thrown out.

If they hadnt changed a thing the critisism would be "what they havent changed a thing? 6 years for this? Im not buying ostfron HD for that price and bllalbalba ........................"

Last edited:
Reactions: Devil_Inside
Upvote 0

You should sum up what parameters should be tweaked in order to make the game better and not demand that all the new gameplay gets completely thrown out.

You say that as if people haven't allready done that a million times..

We have, but it seems TWI has to first accept that there is a problem before we can get anywhere with making real suggestions, because thouse have fallen on deaf ears.

The day TWI announces that they will make a propper realism mode, that they are willing to make Lockdown optional and configurable, that they will make the unranked mode independant of the progression system, then you'll see people coming back with all their suggestions. But untill that day comes, we have to first make TWI understand that there's a problem, and one that a handfull of server options won't solve, not the way things are set up now.

Upvote 0
TWI decided to make game more accessible to "wider" audience. In theory it could work, but in practice it's more like that:
- They introduced many new features, but all of them speed up the game a lot, (not enough) to please CoD players. RO players hate it.
- Most of maps are designed for close quarters combat, fast SMG gun'n'run gameplay, but these are still WAY too big for CoD players. For RO:O players it's obviously step back.
- TWI introduced "FireFight" gamemode, TDM for CoD players. Last time when I checked serverlist there was one FF server with 5 people on it. 90% of servers run Territory gamemode.
- About 75% of players have automatic or semi-automatic weapons, again to please CoD players
- Since SMGs are accurate on any range (you can even snipe with PPsH at 300 meters), bolts lost a lot on battlefield
- You can do a Rambo with MG: running, hipshooting and killing enemies at any range. Probably something for M60 lovers from BC2. Since deployed MG recoil is unrealistic (huge), players prefer to use MGs in Rambo mode. Somewhere on a forum is a youtube video that describes situation.
- RO2 graphics are not enough "hollywoodish" and attractive like BC3, so many potential customers decided to not to buy RO2 because "graphic sux!", "looks like game from 200X". RO players don't care much about it, they care mostly about gameplay...
and so on
and so on

List of wrong designer decisions is long and you can find them on the forum (player progression, unlocks, lockdown, simplistic wounding system, bandages working like med kits, etc).

Long story short: They failed in making game more accessible and enough interesting for RO:O players. From unique and award winning RO:O it turned into "another" fps game like Homefront.
CoD players left few days or weeks after release to play BC3/MW3 and not going to come back. RO:O players still are around and have hope that TWI can fix gameplay so they can return back to game that they like. Here it's worth mentioning that Yoshiro posted about possible gameplay changes in future. Ie. reduced number of SMGs in new patch. Sound promising, but it is only small step forward.

So if you want to move from RO:O to RO2 - wait till gameplay will be fixed by TWI or modders.

Upvote 0

I and a lot of people on here were playing it right up until release. I was just playing it 3 seconds ago actually ;).

Going from playing RO2 to immediately playing RO you'll see a huge difference.

Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0

If they hadnt changed a thing the critisism would be "what they havent changed a thing? 6 years for this? Im not buying ostfron HD for that price and bllalbalba ........................"

I have made 389 posts. I have already written at least hundred posts on exactly this subject. Add a few hundred more that other people have written. No one or very few people have demanded 'Ostfront in HD'. People want the game go to go back to it's roots. Going back to ostfont in HD would be going backwards. It's all about returning to the old formula not the old game.

Upvote 0
I have made 389 posts. I have already written at least hundred posts on exactly this subject. Add a few hundred more that other people have written. No one or very few people have demanded 'Ostfront in HD'. People want the game go to go back to it's roots. Going back to ostfont in HD would be going backwards. It's all about returning to the old formula not the old game.

The game's true "roots" goes back to the mod. There have been some who argue that RO2 feels more like the mod than RO1 did.

Reactions: CrossTrain
Upvote 0
People want the game go to go back to it's roots. Going back to ostfont in HD would be going backwards. It's all about returning to the old formula not the old game.
So people want the look and feel of RO2 with pretty much all the gameplay of ostfront.
To me this is ostfront hd with new maps maybe.

They asked for an "ostfront mode" what does that mean to you?

Upvote 0
:eek:
You can?! Wow, you're doing better than me then. The best I can manage with a PPSh snipe shot, i.e., single shot not spray'n'pray, is ~175m (hit ~1-in-3).
At first glance it seems pretty overpowered that anyone could get a 30% hit rate with an SMG at 175m. Then again I've never fired an SMG, only pistols, assault rifles and a couple of light machine gun types. Maybe they're just a lot more accurate and powerful than I've been told.

Upvote 0
So people want the look and feel of RO2 with pretty much all the gameplay of ostfront.
To me this is ostfront hd with new maps maybe.

They asked for an "ostfront mode" what does that mean to you?

No, I am not talking about a carbon copy of RO OST. As I said, I am talking about the formula, or genre if we wish to call it that.

In RO, this means for me a certain criteria in terms of realism and tactical gameplay. There is, by absolutely no doubt a quite big leap from RO ost to RO2. Good or bad. This is a fact because we call all make a list of the diffrences between them and very clearly notice this all this.

The game was hard and unforgiving but when you learned to play it you was very satisfying. You didn't become better because of unlocks, skillpoints or perks, you improved you ability by pure practise. It was all about skill. When you died you couldn

Upvote 0