• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

We are currently beta testing a new RO 2 patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I'm arguing about hit detection issues at close range, but how is it always the other guy seems immune and turns around to get the kill? How come the other guy never has that problem?
Happens to me all the time. My screen flashes dark and I hear my avatar speak one of the death lines ("he's killed me") or words to that effect. Sometimes I then hear the slow-death grunts and gasps. However I don't see the hit-location indicator come up, and my screen gradually lightens back up, and I keep going with no ill-effects whatsoever.

My theory is that the opponent sees himself shoot me and then I turn around and shoot him back before wandering off just fine. He has delivered what should have been a lethal torso hit (which is why the dying speech and screen flash get triggered) but for some reason the bleed-out just doesn't get triggered so I actually suffer no damage.

If this was fixed (and of course if you actually suffered more of a penalty for getting hit) then 'hit registration / detection' would be less of a problem.

Upvote 0
Well just on the test server I finally noticed this. I was doing that microstutter, not able to move at normal speed etc. Fired three pistol clips into a bot at around 10 meters and nothing, he wasn't even moving. I ran up and bashed him no problem though. Captured the objective and respawned because it was countdown. The stutter was gone and I didn't have the hit detection issue any more.

I wonder if they are somehow related.

Upvote 0
Whether it's real or not, something like sway making it less easy to shoot accurately whilst your weapon is unsupported would make the game-play more measured

this

that kind of "IRL" talk is so nonsense. who ever first used this abbreviation should just... die :IS2:

what about allowing players to jump around while shooting or to mindlessly throw themselves into windows to evade? it's quite doable IRL, yet it ruins tactical gameplay - so does no sway

in my opinion IRL talk should only apply to historical stuff like class loadout and maps where real battles took place

Upvote 0
I've seen it with even 16 people. Stand a couple meters from a guys back who isn't moving. Pop, pop, pop....miss miss miss....then they turn around and slay you.

this.

this is my biggest concern at the moment :(

I played for 5 hours yesterday and almost always using a MP40, it seems like shots sometimes dont register unless you shoot one bullet at a time.

theres times where im running into a building and a guy is 2-3 feet away and i start spraying at him and NOTHING REGISTERS even though its at point blank and im aiming directly at him... sometimes even try to lead very slightly at close range and the bullets just dont register.

Other times it works just fine and it registers when i spray.. its just inconsistent.

@TWI, maybe try setting bullet trajectory to a FIXED (FINAL variable) value that doesnt run through the calculations every time you shoot a bullet... this is what the cause of the problem might be.

So instead of each bullet having to make a ballistics calculation, have a SET trajectory at all times so it doesnt have to make calculations each time.. this is what may be causing bullets not to register, because its taking too much time for the server/client to calculate each bullet so fast?

Just a thought i had, hopefuly you can take a look at this, and i hope my input helps.

plex

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've seen it with even 16 people. Stand a couple meters from a guys back who isn't moving. Pop, pop, pop....miss miss miss....then they turn around and slay you.
this.

this is my biggest concern at the moment :(

I played for 5 hours yesterday and almost always using a MP40, it seems like shots sometimes dont register unless you shoot one bullet at a time.

theres times where im running into a building and a guy is 2-3 feet away and i start spraying at him and NOTHING REGISTERS even though its at point blank and im aiming directly at him... sometimes even try to lead very slightly at close range and the bullets just dont register.

Other times it works just fine and it registers when i spray.. its just inconsistent.

@TWI, maybe try setting bullet trajectory to a FIXED (FINAL variable) value that doesnt run through the calculations every time you shoot a bullet... this is what the cause of the problem might be.

So instead of each bullet having to make a ballistics calculation, have a SET trajectory at all times so it doesnt have to make calculations each time.. this is what may be causing bullets not to register, because its taking too much time for the server/client to calculate each bullet so fast?

Just a thought i had, hopefuly you can take a look at this, and i hope my input helps.

plex

Also wanted to add, when you guys are in the lab trying to replicate this.. try using a server that's 150 to 250 miles away from you. this is about how far i am from Chicago and i am having these bullet reg issues.

one more thing.. is it possible to measure the distance to the object that you are aiming at and completely omit the use of ballistics if it will not have an affect on bullet drop or anything in the first place?

FOR EXAMPLE: if i am aiming at a target that is merely 20 feet away, there is no need to calculate balistics, therefore it can be bypassed and allow for faster and better processing of other, more important information such as bullet reg.
HOWEVER: if i am aiming at a target 150+ feet away then a ballistics calculation may come in handy and would need to be calculated

TWI, maybe you guys can come up with something better than this even, just bring it up in your next meeting or something!

-plex

Last edited:
Reactions: The Beast (nl)
Upvote 0
I agree on distances below 100m it should be just like in other games. (hitscan)
Then you would have no trouble to hit moving targets and this would make the bolts more powerful.

I mean I have to aim ahead on distances like 30-50m, how slow are the bullets in this game?
My ping is usually around 50ms.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree on distances below 100m it should be just like in other games.
Then you would have no trouble to hit moving targets.

I mean I have to aim ahead on distances like 30-50m, how slow are the bullets in this game?
My ping is usually around 50ms.

Yes that seems to be another problem all within itself.. bullets seem to travel very slowly.. that's why i was thinking it has something to do with the ballistics calculation taking so long and slowing the process down.. i would have to look at their code in order to know exactly the cause of the problem..

Should be like: (depending on language obviously)

public double bulletBallistics(double distanceToTarget, double gravity, double speed, double etc...)
{
if(distanceToTarget<=150)
{
<no calculation of ballistics>;
}
if(distanceToTarget>150)
{
trajectory=<calculation for ballistincs here>;
}
return bulletBallistics;
}

im sure its FAR MORE COMPLEX that that.. but im just trying to get to my point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
- Reduced Elite Riflemen and Assault roles on all maps.

I hope this is part of a general redesign of the squad system, i.e. larger squads & less squad leaders or a change in weapons available to the squad leader. If you made the squads larger with more rifleman roles so that in total there are fewer squads in play that would reduce the amount of automatic weapons of all types and would please alot of people. To play on a 64 player server and see that each side has 4 x MG's and 5 x Squad Leaders is just as much of a problem as the number of assault or elite rifle class.

Reactions: NoxNoctum
Upvote 0
Hey people !

Not answering to the general discussion, however, i noticed since the latest patches, and the announcement of a "big patch" that is currently beta tested; the number of players has increased :

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/[url]http://store.steampowered.com/stats/[/URL]

Peak over 1000 players today.

Carry on with the good work TWI ! More people will come back and play ! :IS2:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.