• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Axis / Allies balance ?

D3nTe

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 5, 2011
Hi, I've been playing beta for a couple of days, and it seems sides aren't balanced.

First of all, axis mp40 is way too accurate, you can empty a full clip and still aim easily. It should be balanced to fit ppsh efficiency. It doesn't matter if the real mp40 was the best in WWII, red orchestra is a game, and as a fps both sides should be balanced.

Except for GrainElevator maps are easier for axis. Baracks is a good example, the map should be balanced since it's not 1 team defending and the other one attacking, but it's not. Axis can easily spawnkill allies.
Appartements isn't balanced either. A and B are too easy to capture, and C and D too hard. A/B should be a bit harder, and C/D a bit easier ( Add more places for attackers, currently allies can only use a couple of way for attack, it's a dead end. )
I don't like fallenfighter so I can't tell about balance, I didn't play a lot on this map. But maybe objectives shouldn't be in the middle of nowhere surrounded by building ...
RedOctoberFactory seems quite balanced, except for the allies reinforcements bug .

I don't really play tank maps, so I can't tell for sure but aren't axis tank better than allies tank ? Same as before, it's FPS, not WWII, balance is the key.

I've seen lots of game where players don't join allies and wait to join axis ( It's not 1 or 2 players, I've seen an entire server doing that. They waited for someone to join allies and were spaming 'join axis' button ... )

So, what do you think about it ? A FPS can't go on if sides aren't balanced.

ok, you come in here with experience from "a couple of days" of beta and start making assumptions on how maps are biased towards axis, the guns are way overpowered (even though realistic) and that Tripwire should change the game?

The maps are fine, the balance is quite alright (in my opinion there are not enough bolt action riflemen, too many semi-autos) and this game has a potential to be my favorite game for years to come.

Don't forget the Pa-Pa-Sha will get giant drum magazines which will have more than double the capacity of the MP40 as a standard. The Pa-Pa-Sha is also really accurate at the same range as the MP40, much higher rate of fire, which makes it a more effective close combat weapon (the role for which SMGs are intended) and you can handle the recoil nicely with practice.

This is similiar to saying that the Soviets should get little to no recoil on DP28 machine gun to balance the rate of fire of the MG34, which is a much superior machine gun.

Reactions: vbloke
Upvote 0
on a side note - the german tank has better penetration vs the t-34, which isn't too bad since most engagements (eg FallenHeroes, RedOctober) are at only a couple hundred metres where it balances out. The real problems are on eg the countdown maps where the allies spawn right out in the open, the germans come over the first hill and have a relatively easy time wiping out the allied lines from >800m away. As someone said in the main thread on this, axis on gumrak is like playing the allies on arad :IS2:

Upvote 0
I only play as the Allies right now and I wasn't for this "inbalance" at first. I was growing very tired of the "awesomeness" of the MP40 and felt like I was being picked off from rather far with it. But after a while, I began to feel like my fear for that weapon was adding to the depth of the game. I mean, this and the MG42 are iconic german weapons, and there are reasons for that. I think that in time, once the games player base is established, the tactics developed will make up for the advantages. I wonder sometimes though if numbers would be better represented by offsetting the reinforcement numbers.

Reactions: AeneasXI
Upvote 0
I really don't get the moaning about the supposed superiority of the MP-40 over the PPSH.

In this game the PPSH is the ultimate weapon. Its speed is unparalled in close combat, it has plenty of ammo supply (even without the 71 clip) and has a surprisingly good accuracy on medium to long distances. Until the MBK it is without a doubt the best all around weapon in the game, a sort of pre-assault rifle.

Yes I know the rifle and semi-rifle is for the vets and all that, and I do prefer them, if for nothing else than to show off leet skills against noob smg sprayers. But it still doesn't change the fact that you can get an insane amount of kills with the PPSH on most maps (Fallen Heroes not included), simply uncomparable to anyone other guns.

Upvote 0
Hi, I've been playing beta for a couple of days, and it seems sides aren't balanced.

First of all, axis mp40 is way too accurate, you can empty a full clip and still aim easily. It should be balanced to fit ppsh efficiency. It doesn't matter if the real mp40 was the best in WWII, red orchestra is a game, and as a fps both sides should be balanced.

Except for GrainElevator maps are easier for axis. Baracks is a good example, the map should be balanced since it's not 1 team defending and the other one attacking, but it's not. Axis can easily spawnkill allies.
Appartements isn't balanced either. A and B are too easy to capture, and C and D too hard. A/B should be a bit harder, and C/D a bit easier ( Add more places for attackers, currently allies can only use a couple of way for attack, it's a dead end. )
I don't like fallenfighter so I can't tell about balance, I didn't play a lot on this map. But maybe objectives shouldn't be in the middle of nowhere surrounded by building ...
RedOctoberFactory seems quite balanced, except for the allies reinforcements bug .

I don't really play tank maps, so I can't tell for sure but aren't axis tank better than allies tank ? Same as before, it's FPS, not WWII, balance is the key.

I've seen lots of game where players don't join allies and wait to join axis ( It's not 1 or 2 players, I've seen an entire server doing that. They waited for someone to join allies and were spaming 'join axis' button ... )

So, what do you think about it ? A FPS can't go on if sides aren't balanced.

You seem to have totally misunderstood TWI's goals, and philosophy. Making the MP40 "the same" as the PPSH "for balance"? Madness. They've designed the weapons to behave as they would in reality. You should probably have tried RO1 before 2. The PPSH in RO1 has strong recoil and a huge drum mag, and the MP40 is just the MP40. When used in the right way - both have their weaknesses and strengths - that is the balance.

And you can't really say a map like Apartments is unbalanced, as it is one team assaulting the other - it's not supposed to be balanced. What it is - is fun.

At the end of the day how well one side does on a map is entirely down to the calibre of players on that team. I've been on teams where the axis have been steamrolled on Apartments, and on Barracks, similarly I've been on teams where the allies have barely passed the bridgehead.

Given that many people are still learning the game I wouldn't put much weight into "how" the maps are playing at the moment - in the initial stages of the beta with experienced folk playing eachother with the devs the balance on the maps felt good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong. I love the PPsh. It's the best CQ weapon in the game. But, the MP40 has a lethal medium to long killing potential. At least it feels that way rather often.

The PPSH has as well, since its higher rate of fire makes up for any slight inaccuracy in comparison with the MP40. In those long halls at Grain Elevator you can easily headshot those riflemen hiding at the other end of the room, or peering out of windows in open ground (although of course they have the advantage if they spot you first). Well, I have at least.

Upvote 0
No, RO2 is not about realism. It is realistic on the most part and balanced tho.

You realism nutjobs are really annoying.

It -is- about realism. All the weapons in game are modeled after real life counterparts, they spent months researching German and Soviet weapons, tanks, equipment, uniforms, and such, visited the actual battlefields where these wars were fought, and have done their best to provide an accurate representation (as accurate as you can get in video game world) of the real Eastern Front.

The PPSh kicks the MP40s butt due to it's low recoil and blistering RoF (which is why the Germans were so keen on re-appropriating them from the Ruskies), but the German LMG totally whips the Soviet LMG.

The real world is pretty well balanced, believe it or not. Everyone was working with the best technology they had at the time, and any weapon or tactic that didn't work well was quickly thrown out. Any one that DID was quickly copied or reverse-engineered.

Welcome to the arms race.

Last edited:
Reactions: grothesj2
Upvote 0