• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Who Actually wants to play 'Relaxed Realism'

Who Actually wants to play 'Relaxed Realism'

• No, realism only for me

Votes: 283 68.9%
  • Yes, relaxed realism only for me

Votes: 84 20.4%
  • I'll at least try both modes and make a choice after giving both a fair shot

Votes: 29 7.1%
  • I'll play both modes

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Pfft. F*** relaxed realism!
If I wanted to play a more "accessible" game I'd go play BF or Cod because that's what those games are entirely about! Making the game so bloody easy it practically plays itself. Why would I want the game to tell me where the enemy is? Wtf is up with that? That takes like 90% of the skill out of it already! Remember when games actually took skill and patience to play? Games like Ro1, Ghost recon 1, project reality....I'm sick of devs trying to change the game to help these brain dead morons!
If TWI want to make Ro more retard friendly that's fine, me, I'm going to the most hardcore nasty server I can find! Go hard(core) or go home!!!!

Reactions: Thaelyn and Tweek
Upvote 0
I don't want to force people to play in a certain way, I would simply prefer that the servers are skewed towards the option i favour. I figured a poll like these are useful in giving server runners an idea of what people want to play as.

I think it's more fun to get occasionally shot by your teammates, to be unsure whether to fire at distant blurry objects in the distance. Really the biggest problem with 'realism' games is the Players! I don't mean that in a rude way at all, but getting people to react in an authentic fashion and to react in more authentic ways is basically impossible in pc games where you have no fear of your life.

I feel that having this 'relaxed' mode will make people play it more as a 'game', taking more risks and acting less like a real person might. I personally think that is more fun. Although i am well aware that it's hard to get people to take cover and behave more authentically.

That is why we get a "supression system" and skill levels and heroes. The supression system will sort the "Rambo's" for us.

Upvote 0
I can't see how you can force someone to 'fear' for their characters lives? I mean, short of having someone actually stand next to you with a pistol held against your head threatening to kill you if you die in game, theres no real way to instill that sense of urgency, because everyone knows you can just respawn and try again.

People will play it as a game, well, because it is a game and all the realism options you enforce will not change that. But saying that, when players get used to the game and are not alienated by veteran players who insist that it should be played in a certain way, they will soon come to realise that a thoughtful approach is best, and thats where the realism kicks in.

Upvote 0
I take it that in the interests of realism, all of the realism extremists. Will after their first death be uninstalling the game and never playing again.

As in the interests of realism you have only one life and it is now gone.

That would be hardcore realism.

Me ill play whatever is fun so probably both. With no preference to one or the other until I have played both.

Upvote 0
I woulden't want people to think i want to force people to play a certain way, i would just prefer if Realism mode was what people considered the standard and maybe you had one or two newbie servers (in your area) are soft realism modes for people to learn on.

I want to play RO because it is a more 'serious' shooter without the floating stuff, like the old classic 'realism' games/sims, Ghost Recon, Rainbow 6 etc.

As an example it's like your Arcade flyer such as Wings of Prey versus yoru IL2 Sturmovik, on one hand one is accessible and has a low learning curve and on the other side you have one which is hard to learn but doesn't have things like icons on your screen if you choose.

Upvote 0
I'm quite new to RO so I guess i'll try the relaxed settings first, when I understand the mechanics and such I'll mix up the two :D

^this.
imo the relaxed realism mode is for people who are new to the series and for when players just want to have some casual relaxed fun.

I don't want to force people to play in a certain way, I would simply prefer that the servers are skewed towards the option i favour. I figured a poll like these are useful in giving server runners an idea of what people want to play as.

you don't want to force, yet you want the majority of servers to be as you want it. seems "kind of" contradictory imo.

I feel that having this 'relaxed' mode will make people play it more as a 'game', taking more risks and acting less like a real person might. I personally think that is more fun. Although i am well aware that it's hard to get people to take cover and behave more authentically.

but they will only play it as a "game"(wich it is, i can't see what your problem is) IN those relaxed servers where, as far as i can tell, we won't ever find you in any case! so again, you say you don't want to force, yet you're opposed by a option; opposing options=>forcing things

Pfft. F*** relaxed realism!
If I wanted to play a more "accessible" game I'd go play BF or Cod because that's what those games are entirely about! Making the game so bloody easy it practically plays itself. Why would I want the game to tell me where the enemy is? Wtf is up with that? That takes like 90% of the skill out of it already! Remember when games actually took skill and patience to play? Games like Ro1, Ghost recon 1, project reality....I'm sick of devs trying to change the game to help these brain dead morons!
If TWI want to make Ro more retard friendly that's fine, me, I'm going to the most hardcore nasty server I can find! Go hard(core) or go home!!!!

"relaxed realism"=/=CoD
CoD=BS
to say it with colours, CoD= as black as black can be. realism=as white as white can be. realism mode= a light shade of grey; relaxed realism= a slightly darker shade of grey. it's obvious you think in shades, since you can't hardly believe the RO1 realism mode is as realistic as can be.

also, keep the insults to a minimum. the only preference that shows intelligence is the preference to resort to insults.

I woulden't want people to think i want to force people to play a certain way, i would just prefer if Realism mode was what people considered the standard and maybe you had one or two newbie servers (in your area) are soft realism modes for people to learn on.

I want to play RO because it is a more 'serious' shooter without the floating stuff, like the old classic 'realism' games/sims, Ghost Recon, Rainbow 6 etc.
again, you don't want to force, yet you want only a few servers of the type you dislike. that's forcing that is.
realism will eventually be the standard, let it grow on people, especially those that take RO2 as the gate to the RO-series.

then do so? no-one is forcing you to play on the relaxed realism servers? seriously, what is your problem with a option for the more casual players?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think on pubs i might be playing on relaxed realism, just for the fact that i think it will help facilitate teamwork/tactics in an environment where not everyone will have mics. Hardcore, for me will mostly be played in clans/organized gaming groups for the full RO2 Experience.

Whenever I have a bottle of vodka I will play hardcore.

Upvote 0
Relaxed realism will be what most new comers to the game will play.

I have played COD from day one and played it competitively playing PROMOD.

The game never took off using hardcore settings but when they changed to softcore (relaxed) it went crazy. Every gaming league in the world took cod promod (relaxed) and made a league as the demand was so high.

I for one will play relaxed and realism but alot of new comers to the game will most likely be better suited to relaxed if there background or experience of FPS games is COD or Battlefield which lets be honest are the biggest and most played.

So yes i want to play relaxed.

Upvote 0
I'm not quite sure of the point of relaxed realism in RO. There are plenty of other multiplayer FPS games that offer relaxed realism, I play RO for one reason and one reason only, because it's realistic.

The above quote is right on the money. The only reason Relaxed mode is in this version of the game is to get in newer players. I honestly don't think that mode is for us RO1 vets. Plus i doubt there will be many servers played relaxed mode. I understand getting in new players but...a lot of gamers are inherently complacent , and once newer players are comfortable with the relaxed mode whats the motivation to move over to the real RO2 game (realism).

Upvote 0
Simple Answer.

Simple Answer.

I dont believe relaxed mode is for us RO1 vets. This mode is there to bring in gamers that are new to this frahchise. I personally will never play relaxed mode. If i were going to do that i would just skip this game and wait for BF3.
I never thought that RO1 was all that hard. I think people make out the full version of RO1/RO2 harder then it is. Realism is the true intended game mode for this franchise. Anything other mode is just there to mentor the gaming tadpoles until there big and mature enough to come join us in the deep end.

Upvote 0