• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PBBans supports Red Orchestra 2

sorry i guess i did mix the two up
pub player and server admin.

thanks for changing the wording Maydax
it took my hotmail account easy
just had to go in my junk folder

wow ... a total of 220,260 cheaters busted in cod4 alone
no wonder the net is full of haters

and if you look at cod2 PB by itself caught almost 14,000
PBbans caught almost 15,000 ... doubling the effectiveness of punkbuster
keep up the good work

Last edited:
Reactions: HSMagnet
Upvote 0
Of course I could, but I dont want to have to keep doing that. I'd rather not have it on my machine unless absolutely forced to, then I'd uninstall it when I'm done.
Actually I believe you can disable the running PunkBuster processes, let me check it out...

Indeed, PnkBstrA normally runs on every startup, but after installing PB you can go to Administrative Tools, Services and disable PnkBstrA if you want to. I just stopped the service and changed the startup option from Automatic to Manual and I believe now it runs only when needed (i.e. launching PB enabled online game) instead of automatically at every startup.

I believe I have had it that way before without having any problems, it just got reset to Automatic after updating/reinstalling PB.

Edit.

Also adding that needing to have the PBBans server DDoS protected (which I believe is pretty expensive) seems to be a pretty good indicator of its success in detecting/banning cheaters.

Last edited:
Reactions: HSMagnet
Upvote 0
sorry i guess i did mix the two up
pub player and server admin.

thanks for changing the wording Maydax
it took my hotmail account easy
just had to go in my junk folder

wow ... a total of 220,260 cheaters busted in cod4 alone
no wonder the net is full of haters

and if you look at cod2 PB by itself caught almost 14,000
PBbans caught almost 15,000 ... doubling the effectiveness of punkbuster
keep up the good work
which begs the question. IF you're both using PB then how did PBbans Find an extra 15,000?

Server admins turning people in?

Upvote 0
I am not sure if I understand your statement. Why have a hack installed on your PC in the first place? There is NO need for hacks of any type in any game.

If people can't play the game how it is supposed to be played, then they should not play it.

People with hacks of any type are taking a huge risk of getting detected.

Remember, even though someone is not using a hack, but has one on their PC, then PB will probably detect that cheat and trigger a violation.
I just like to point out that you will not trigger a violation just by having a cheat file/exe on your PC, if you do run the cheat file when in game then yes there is a risk that you will trigger a PB violation or trigger a silent violation which will kick at a later point in time.

Please Note
Some 3rd party anti cheat sites like pbbans, punksbusted, GGC do run MD5 checks for cheat files in the game folder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd like to thank Tripwire for allowing server admins the CHOICE of whether to use "Punkbuster/PBBans" program or not.

While I 've personally never had any issues with "Punkbuster" let's say, as nicely as I can, that I do not like it and would highly prefer not to use it.

It is a unnecessary solution for a problem that does not exist, especially in the RO community and its protential for problems far outweighs any possible benefit.

I would prefer 1,000 fold the occasional cheater to PB and feel that is the least harmful option if those were the only choices (which is far from the case)!

That being said, I do hope, (not just hope but entreat and implore) that clans, independent server admins and even commercial sites hosting RO2 servers, especially servers hosted by Tripwire itself, will provide VAC only servers for those loyal customers WHO DO NOT WISH TO USE Punkbuster/PBBans.

TW has given a CHOICE. Server admins, RO Clans: please allow us to EXERCISE that CHOICE and keep this unecessary program off your servers.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0