• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are the mg42 and svt40 still in this game?

I think it's sad if they introduce all this weaponry that might or might not have been in Stalingrad but pass on the MG42 for which there is proof it was in Stalingrad. Especially for something so petty as balance reasons. It's really fun to use in RO and I prefer asymmetrical balance where the Russians have the superior SMG and Germans the superior MG. Asymmetrical balance is what sparks people to think about tactics.

Well spoken my friend. Hopefully the ppsh small mags for balance etc. are only in firefight mode and territory is like Ost. I'm proud to be part of a community that sees through the bullsh#t that is balance. It's like giving the losing team a trophy ... makes the kids feel less pressure but, the competition is spoiled before it even starts. Or having an adult throw slow balls so every moron with no depth perception can hit a single *cringe*

Reactions: nebsif
Upvote 0
My bet is that if the MG42 makes it into the game it will be the rarest of the Hero weapons.
The MG42 is superb on every category but one of it's best features is it's drawback, the stupidly high rate of fire.
You can shoot a ****storm of bullets but you will run out of ammo very quickly.
Any significant advantages over MG34 expt ROF tho?
My opinion about "balance" is that realism is more or less balanced by default, you dont have to make LMGs fire BB guns if u make them handle like RL (not related to RO) and there's also that asymmetrical balance, Germans have leet LMGs but Russians have the drum mag PPSH rape thingy.

About PPSH "being used" in 2011, MG3 is still being used for real pewpew like.. NOW by many modern armies and its more or less MG42 firing a NATO cartridge as far as I understood from wiki. ^^

Last edited:
Reactions: Krator
Upvote 0
My theory is this:

MG42 is one of the most iconic WW2 Machineguns (and one of the most iconic in the world period)
So I think that they are waiting for the next game trailer or a big reveal. After seeing the VERY sexy MG34, I'm sure the MG42 is going to be jizz in pants adorable.

Adorable being of course a freaking buzzsaw of death.

Upvote 0
The PPsh are better than the MP40 so you don't want it in RO2, too?
The Ppsh with the 35 round mag would be inferior though.

By the way the STV40 is much better than the G41, too
Is this ignoring the SVT's horrible vertical shot dispersion and such problems? Remember the soviets themselves deemed the svt a failure.

The MG42 isn't a super weapon, it has an high fire rate, but that means that you are very fast out of ammo.
Unless it gets its largest belt used in Stalingrad instead of its small belt in RO1.

inaccurate, insta-overheating bullet-lobber MG42, to balance it out around DP28. In RO1 it WAS balanced with DP28. So they probably are going to do this again
And for those who dont believe its balanced with the inferior DP28 in the first RO please try the better coded MG 42 in DH and feel the difference.

as close to the real world equivalent as possible. They didn't spend the effort finding and shooting all the ww2 guns they could get their hands on for ****s and giggles.
I doubt they shot or used an MkB 42, the anti-tank rifles, stielhandgranates, AVT40s, DP 28s, Maxim 1910s, MP40/II or any of the tanks.

the stupidly high rate of fire. You can shoot a ****storm of bullets but you will run out of ammo very quickly.
The Ppsh has this very same problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Regarding the MG42, I have a feeling it will be there, but lets see :)

I doubt they shot or used an MkB 42, the anti-tank rifles, stielhandgranates, AVT40s, DP 28s, Maxim 1910s, MP40/II or any of the tanks.

I'm sure they've fired the StG, which is near identical to the Mkb42. I am also quite sure they've fired an SVT40, DP28, Maxim 1910 and an MP40 (again same deal as MP40/II). As for the tanks, they've probably spent some time inside the tanks featured to make sure the interior is correctly modelled.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Let's all just remember that mistakes do happen, the guys behind this game are human after-all, so have some patience. It is fine we let our opinions be heard, and it is also fine that we point out any flaws that we see, but we also need to have some faith in the guys doing the actual work.

I am sure issues such as those we've seen with the PPSH selector switch, blueing of the Mosin bolts, Pz.IV's driver vision slit etc etc. are all being worked upon by the developers. Heck I'm sure that even my biggest complaint so far regarding tank turret & gun control has atleast been considered, but this is mostly a control issue, and not an historical one so it kinda takes a backseat for now, which I can understand.

The final point here though, is that TWI won't let us down in the end, I'm sure of it, so lets have some patience and not panic as soon as we see a potential mistake. Point it out if you see it and I'm sure the devs will make notice of it.

Just 50 days to go now :cool:

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of MG42 in Stalingrad, let alone the unit cards.
If it's not in release, Tripwire has added weapons post-release for RO1, so I'd expect it to show up after.
What I can recall is the MP41 and G41 both were added much later in RO, and even Killing Floor got many weapons additions post-release.

I hope that Tripwire adds new guns to the game in patches because that would be awesome. I love weapons, and I love lots of them, and I'm confident Tripwire does too.

MG42 is a must, and also I'm not hearing reports of the P08 Luger - that should be in too :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it would be sad and awesome if the mg42 isnt in awesome because i think it will be added in a future update then and that means i have something to look forward to after the realese(i know besides the mods and community maps and.....) okay just realese it (freezes himself like cartman to wake up on the 29 august for a last day of ostfront :p

Upvote 0