• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The "what are you currently playing?" thread #2

Got MvC3, played a bit against one of my friends who's about as good as me. Dante is ridiculously powerful if you can remember his long move list, and I can tell pros will be ripping my head off without trying with Wesker like those horrible human beings who fully master Chipp Zanuff in GG.

For a mediocre player like myself I found Zero backed by Amaterasu and Dormammu effective and fun to use. Their great assists give you a bit of breathing room while Zero is good at keeping the pressure on.

Edit 2/23: Been experimenting a bit more against real players. Really loving Dante, Deadpool, and Doom as my A-team, occasionally swapping Doom for Morrigan just for her hyper building assist. Haggar is great if you're facing a turtle. If you're one of those bastards who plays keep away and spams specials so that only totally proficient players can close with you, Dormammu backed by Amaterasu and Doom/Magneto is just mean.

I've started playing MVC3 too! :D I used to play CVS 2 religiously, tried finding another crossover game and failed, thats until this came out. I'm not a great player but I think its a lot of fun. I like how its not so assist oriented like MVC2 is, and the hit deterioration is a nice little addition borrowed from TVC to help stop those infinite combos.

I mess around with Wolverine, Trish, Akuma (Kind of a bite off of Justin Wongs team) and recently started messing around with Ammy, Storm, Tron.

Most annoying keep away I've ran into, Arthur, Doom, and Sent. Grrr the whole screen is filled with spears, rocks and drones Dx

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bulletstorm. It's actually really funny, the gameplay is very motivating and graphics are brilliant too, although it seems badly optimized to me. Crysis 2 demo and every other game on this hemisphere runs with what feels like constant 60fps, but this game is more like ~30fps(with drops below here and then which make you notice the 30fps). Still playable but not quite as smooth as other games.

Upvote 0
i've been playing swat 4 again which is always fun - and i want to install SS addon.
i play swat 4 unpatched (as i believe the 1.1 patch just added adverts and little else, and in any case most players seem to be on 1.0)

Can any swatters plz tell me - if i add SS, will it convert swat 4 to 1.1 - will i still be able to play 1.0 servers and how many peeps play SS onine - if i lose loads of servers i might install on another pc.

Played SWAT 4 on a LAN party this weekend. Massive fun :IS2:

I think the version check in the server browser is buggy. We all had the patched version and it showed 1.0 in the server browser. There is no reason not to use the add-on. It adds a lot of new and useful weapons and items (like the ammo pouches). And if you want to play the add-on you need the patch. So I recommend using patch and add-on ;)

Upvote 0
Played SWAT 4 on a LAN party this weekend. Massive fun :IS2:

I think the version check in the server browser is buggy. We all had the patched version and it showed 1.0 in the server browser. There is no reason not to use the add-on. It adds a lot of new and useful weapons and items (like the ammo pouches). And if you want to play the add-on you need the patch. So I recommend using patch and add-on ;)

yeah - thing was i noticed that a lot more ppl were playing swat4 version 1.0 than 1.1 - and as SS addon updated the main game to 1.1 i was worried id lose a lot of servers on the old maps - however, fortunately you can play all the exisiting old maps from SS, and theres a fair number of ppl online, so theres no need to run the old game in any case really.

In the server browser i noticed SS is 1.0, which makes sense as it has no patch, but i think if you run the main game exe it should be listed as 1.1
It's pretty unique in PC gaming that both games basically didn't need any patching - as far as i'm aware the origional's 1.1 update was just to add the in-game advertising.

I like some of the new weapons - Swat is a great game the only issue is that i think the weapon recoil and cone of fire is totally over the top. I like my games with weapon sway and that, but i do want the bullets to basically go where the gun's pointing.

They might as well have falling ceiling plaster as yet another non lethal takedown tecnique.

Reactions: DraKon2k
Upvote 0
i was disappointed with the swat4 SS missions - they were no way as interesting or atmospheric as the orgional ones, and the syndicate connection and plot was pretty weak.
And there was only about half a dozen of them.
But the additional features of the addon - weapons and in particular the much needed ability to hold orders, make it a worthwhile addition i guess.

Upvote 0
Is Hearts of Iron II better than III?
Looking to buy HoI3 for a while now (loving EU3, that's why)

I actually don't know; I've never bought HoI3 :p.

However, I do know that HOI2 is extremely fun; granted, you need to know someone who plays it (I know a few of us HoI fans here would help you), due to the fact that the game is not exactly very "jump-on-in"ish.

Altogether, HoI is good fun (however, I've heard HoI 3 is unplayable without the expansion), so I'd suggest it. However, be aware: EU3 may look just like it, but they play wildly different; the style of warfare, which is a lot less "one-on-one" type than EU3, but instead gives the battle to those who know how to use mobility of multiple armies simultaneuosly as well as large-front support-attacking. The peacetime play is also very different, as it's less about diplomacy (although diplomacy is huge), and you can be a little more belligerent.

Upvote 0
Just keep on going! Allthough it's slow to take up pace and quite complex to learn, the X series rewards it with real depth in gameplay. One of the best series ever.

Tried it again, I will probably uninstall it.

Controls are not adjustable (they are awful by default), improper save system, hard to read and blurry text, horribly designed menu system, can not minimize the game without unpausing it and no real training. To top it off, the flight model feels pretty poor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0