• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

News from the Crosshairs interview

Why would your screen desaturate? That doesn't make anysense... black and white for a suppression effect?... I think the whole wizzing of bullets and blurriness is all that should be. Bullets going by you didn't make you see in black and white...

they said they were doing it because of the complaints about blurriness being really annoying, whilst still maintaining that feel about you being under fire.

also, they said it's only desaturating a little, eg from ro2 colours back to ro1 colours :IS2:

Upvote 0
they said they were doing it because of the complaints about blurriness being really annoying, whilst still maintaining that feel about you being under fire.

also, they said it's only desaturating a little, eg from ro2 colours back to ro1 colours :IS2:
great compromise

thats the reason i hardly ever play DH because i start to get really annoyed by the never ending snapping noise...

i can appreciate why it makes sense, but for me it just sucks the enjoyment out of it when it is that intense

Upvote 0
When the loader is killed other AI will move to the loaders position.

There will be no 3d Voip chat.

My feedback on both of those:

This is a partial fix, but penalizes full human crews ( team tanking ) as they have the no one to replace the loader, even though they have people who would be willing to do so.

The purpose of 3d chat is not to force everyone to use TS, it is meant to add flavour to the game. Yes forcing people to use only 3d would make many players go to TS. However dismissing 3d voice chat because of that is stupid. Have both. Define a radius where underneath that radius players on both teams will hear speech and it will be clear, over that radius only your team hears the communication and some audio effect is added to tell them that it is from a distance. ( some radio garbling, a squak, whatever you want). Players could then bind another key to 3d chat only, or perhaps double tap their chat button to use the radio and 3d chat.

The benefit of 3d chat when you KNOW that the voice is local is that you can say things like "grenade" or , "to the right in that high window", or any other sound byte of information that would not work AT ALL in ROOST.

Like Ramm said, there is no point in having the 3d voip at all, something anyone can circumvent in two seconds, simply not worth it. You'll still have the pre-defined voice commands, that should be enough when it comes to that.

Upvote 0
The purpose of 3d chat is not to force everyone to use TS, it is meant to add flavour to the game. Yes forcing people to use only 3d would make many players go to TS. However dismissing 3d voice chat because of that is stupid. Have both. Define a radius where underneath that radius players on both teams will hear speech and it will be clear, over that radius only your team hears the communication and some audio effect is added to tell them that it is from a distance. ( some radio garbling, a squak, whatever you want). Players could then bind another key to 3d chat only, or perhaps double tap their chat button to use the radio and 3d chat.

The benefit of 3d chat when you KNOW that the voice is local is that you can say things like "grenade" or , "to the right in that high window", or any other sound byte of information that would not work AT ALL in ROOST.

But colt, that would be a rational design option!

I didn't get much of an opportunity to watch the podcast so I cant imagine their reasoning for dismissing such an idea, hopefully somebody can summarize the highlights of it.

Like Ramm said, there is no point in having the 3d voip at all, something anyone can circumvent in two seconds, simply not worth it. You'll still have the pre-defined voice commands, that should be enough when it comes to that.
Did you read anything in the post you quoted?

Here's the key points:

Have both.
How is there any counter-argument to this? It's a feature every shooter should have, it simply makes the gameplay better. If people want to use squad channels then simply add a feature like arma wherin you can toggle your voice channel to talk to specific groups of people (IE people in vehicles, or your officers). But when you're duking it in a street, it's a pain in the *** to have to voice a tiny tidbit of information such as "look out" or "grenade" to the entire team. Likewise it's a pain to have to reach over and hit one of your complicated numpad configurations to blurt out a "general command" that cannot be directed at any particular person. Why should anybody need to memorize a complete numpad commutation scheme when they can instead just press N and speak to people like a normal human being.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vyllis
Upvote 0
....how?
Its a lot easier to control a gun, especially for ranged shots when it is on single shot. The only reason I don't like this is that single shot should be a stock option not an unlockable....

i think thats the point single shot should be for everyone, but so long as it does not take ages to get.

edit, I wonder if the unlocks will be an option to use, also think that drums should use stamina faster

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I swear, sometimes people read, and dont understand a word.

The idea is NOT to force everyone to use 3d chat. But to ADD it so that players in the vicinity of other players KNOW that the speaker is local. By doing this you could yell "grenade" and the teammates around you would know to haul ***. Players would still be using squad/team chat, however there would be some indicator if that voice communication was coming from a distance greater then regular voice travel range. Why would someone want to circumvent something that gives them a large advantage?! * commences to smacking head on keyboard while mumbling about the million monkeys on a million keyboards *

as an edit I would like a button for 3d chat, or single tap the talk button is local, double tap is global.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I have not listened the interview yet but if he truly said that then he is just plain wrong. I bet Ramm has just convinced himself that this is the only possible outcome of the 3D voip so they don't have to worry about implementing the system.

I wonder if they see as well that there is no point of implementing video options to the game cos ppl with CCC will override them... :)

Even without the 3D voip, half of the players will be using some other voice comm system anyways or not using one at all cos team-all-talk-brain-walkie-talkies don't really allow the peace of conversation. It really doesn't make sense to explain to the whole team where one enemy soldier is positioned when you just need to inform the guy next to you. When you start describing this kind of detailed info to a team-all-talk or to even squad-all-talk, it literally sucks the immersion out of the game.

Once again we have to wait some mod-team with balls to implement realistic 3D voip cos mainstream teams don't have the guts.

Upvote 0
I have not listened the interview yet but if he truly said that then he is just plain wrong. I bet Ramm has just convinced himself that this is the only possible outcome of the 3D voip so they don't have to worry about implementing the system.

I wonder if they see as well that there is no point of implementing video options to the game cos ppl with CCC will override them... :)

Even without the 3D voip, half of the players will be using some other voice comm system anyways or not using one at all cos team-all-talk-brain-walkie-talkies don't really allow the peace of conversation. It really doesn't make sense to explain to the whole team where one enemy soldier is positioned when you just need to inform the guy next to you. When you start describing this kind of detailed info to a team-all-talk or to even squad-all-talk, it literally sucks the immersion out of the game.

Once again we have to wait some mod-team with balls to implement realistic 3D voip cos mainstream teams don't have the guts.

They aren't a mainstream team. I've played Battlefield 2/2142 for over 2 thousand hours, and I can tell you straight up that I've never cared about having 3D VOIP.

Upvote 0

Again its useless and in my opinion and surely many others a waste of resources especially from what you get out of it which is nothing.. It's not hard to be on ts in a structured manner with up to 30 people, and as far as i know didnt we get a system in which you can point the direction of the enemy and the direction will show up on the map?

Comparing video options to this is just bs dude.. not the same thing.
We'll have vehicle chat, team chat and public chat and it works in RO1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They aren't a mainstream team. I've played Battlefield 2/2142 for over 2 thousand hours, and I can tell you straight up that I've never cared about having 3D VOIP.

TWI is now taking the mainstream route on voip.
And you playing bf2 and not caring for 3d voip is supposed to convince us all that this is all good :) Have you even played any game with 3d voice chat?

Bf2 didnt have the balls to implement it so PR did it.
Same will happen with some RO2 mod as well... at least i hope so...

Again its useless and in my opinion and surely many others a waste of resources especially from what you get out of it which is nothing...

If immersion is no concern for you then, yes, you probably will get nothing out of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If immersion is no concern for you then, yes, you probably will get nothing out of it.

Umm, immersion is a big concern for me, however not having 3d voip does not vobble my sense of immersion. Project Reality is a mod, its not a commercial product and I mean dang its not about balls its about the reasoning behind it and if its worth devoting any resources to it.

They've simply come to the conclusion that its not worth it at this time and I agree 100%, if you wanna call them cowards so be it but TW are currently releasing sdk & tools, dedis, tons of client/server side options with already mods in the works etc.. what more could you possibly ask for. If its that important to you leave it up to the mod community or the group that enjoys 3d voip to implement it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only people who could possibly speak against 3D voice are the people who've never used it in a game they like. I imagine if they had used it then there wouldn't be any argument about the "purpose" of such a system since it simply makes the game more fun to play, and makes the atmosphere of it all more immersive. Aside from the "fun" aspects, it also propagates teamwork.

Umm, immersion is a big concern for me, however voip does not vobble my sense of immersion. Project Reality is a mod, its not a commercial product and I mean **** its not about balls its about the reasoning behind it and if its worth devoting any resources to it.
In battlefield 2 all the voip is done with your squad, there is no annoying "teamside" voice options. I suppose this is acceptable, but there's no doubt 3d voice audio is better, especially when speaking to people that are not in your squad. I'm beginning to doubt you've used it in a good game, so I can't imagine you have much base for your opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only people who could possibly speak against 3D voice are the people who've never used it in a game they like. I imagine if they had used it then there wouldn't be any argument about the "purpose" of such a system since it simply makes the game more fun to play, and makes the atmosphere of it all more immersive. Aside from the "fun" aspects, it also propagates teamwork.

In battlefield 2 all the voip is done with your squad, there is no annoying "teamside" voice options. I suppose this is acceptable, but there's no doubt 3d voice audio is better, especially when speaking to people that are not in your squad. I'm beginning to doubt you've used it in a good game, so I can't imagine you have much base for your opinion.

It's not a matter of using it in a "good" game, i simply dislike it for what it is whenever i try it. Its something that could be used for a niche community but nothing that would benefit teamplay in public matches it would just cause even more issues. I dont mind them throwing it in as an option, options are great but i also think its reasonable that they're not devoting any resources to it at this point.

Having squad,vehicle and team based voips == more than enough.

Upvote 0