• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HC FPS gamer here, a few suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I've never mentioned weapon balance. :confused: Other than on my first few posts (please read) I've only asked for some sort of "Run and Gun" style of game with a open weapon class. Example FFA. Listened to Jon Gibson interview and I'm really excited about the game. Good interview.

www.10-78.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26100

Check out www.10-78.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=244 they have a lot of info about the game.

Honestly, I don't see what the big problem with FFA is. Not my cup of tea, but neither is 24/7 Danzig. Obviously, some people seem to like that.

My main issue, which Knighted and Wahoo4 seem to be pushing (which I seriously doubt TWI would seriously consider) is to balance the individual weapons.

I and most RO players probably prefer to have each weapon have it's realistic strength and weakness, and balance with load-outs and maps.

So, I don't know how that would work on an FFA server with or without class limits. All I know is I'd want a tank.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now I know I am picking on pretty much everyone today, but - now it is your turn :)

And just why do you think we would be dumb enough to produce that sort of gameplay?

How about... an intelligent spawning system which doesn't dump you in choke points or in areas where everyone is already dying? How about protection around the spawn locations? Maps large enough that you DON'T spawn right in someone else's gunsights. It can be done, ya know!

I can see you guys want to make this game which is a good fps with a little sim mixed in, more like COD. That reminds me of what happens to most new MMORPG's. People say "Make it more like WoW!!!" and they do because that's what they hear on the forums. People play it for a while, until they say "This is just like WoW... why don't I go play that instead"? Especially when a new expansion comes out, everyone is gone because they were all looking for a fix of WoW until the next one came out. Now they are barren and empty. I can see this happening with RO2, everyone will want features that exist in COD right now. Then the next COD: xxxxx comes out they will all get the new one and never play that "WW2 COD clone" ever again. Why not just leave the game as it is/was planned to be for the people who actually played and still play the first one, for the reasons that made it the great game it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well they are fixing a lot of the problems I have with RO. In the interview he talks about a slight increase in run speed, a true/realistic sight picture, and improving distance shots with the rifles. They are going to reduce the recoil of SMG and increase it on the MG based on their own real world testing. You want realistic, well you got it. It's a very good move. They address all the issues I have with RO, otherwise I love it. I think the key is slight changes here without compromising much of the original RO. Guys just trust them, they are going to improve on RO. After hearing the interview they seem to want to really make a great game. They will please both the hardcore RO fans and give new people a taste RO realism. I don't think either side needs to worry. Original RO guys will have a huge advantage. I trust they are going to make a FUN and challenging game for all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well they are fixing a lot of the problems I have with RO. In the interview he talks about a slight increase in run speed, a true/realistic sight picture, and improving distance shots with the rifles. They are going to reduce the recoil of SMG and increase it on the MG based on their own real world testing. You want realistic, well you got it. It's a very good move. They address all the issues I have with RO, otherwise I love it. I think the key is slight changes here without compromising much of the original RO. Guys just trust them, they are going to improve on RO. After hearing the interview they seem to want to really make a great game. They will please both the hardcore RO fans and give new people a taste RO realism. I don't think either side needs to worry. Original RO guys will have a huge advantage. I trust they are going to make a FUN and challenging game for all.

YouTube - Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen

Upvote 0

See, now we're getting on the same page :)

Upvote 0
To wahoo4's credit, he's been trying awfully hard. We've had him on TS with us a couple of times now. Problem is we were on the 24/7 Danzig server. Joined another one later and Lyeskrovy was the map. :cool:

Still trying to get him to stick around for a Kreigstadt or even a Basovka (to get the arty experience) map. Something a little more "RO" and a little less run n gun. So far its been pure torture for him.....

Try the DH mod, wahoo4. We'll jump in with you there if you'd rather.

Reactions: Dr. Pierre Chang
Upvote 0
lol Now, I still want a FFA game for instant action and to help learn the basics. :eek::)

I think the new Firefight (TDM) gamemode will accomplish that just fine really, it's all the shooting and none of the objectives, simple and straight forward, but it still also teaches new players that teamwork can really help them survive in the game, and helps train them in recognizing freind from foe, an important skill in the other gametypes.

And if anything, i have allways found TDM to be more newbie freindly than DM, because DM tends to attract a very competitive crowd, and a lot of thease players tend to get very good at it, so they are rarely very fun to come up against for new players.
This is not as big a problem in TDM, new players usually have more of a chance in team games.

And on that subject, it's also worth rembering that Ro2 will actually have a worthwhile singleplayer practice mode, they have put a ton of work into the bots of HoS. Ro:Ost also technically has it, but the bots in Ost where never any good, so the whole thing was a bit of a waste really.

So with that in mind, new players can allways practice playing the different classes in HoS offline, and i think that can make a lot of difference, bots can allways be set to easy, real players.. not so much.

Upvote 0
On balance:

We won't mess with weapons to make them all neatly balanced with one another. Ain't going to happen. The different weapons are, well, different. The PPSh is a brute - but you can empty a mag very quickly. Eats ammo. MP40 is slower-firing, which is both good and bad. They are different. We like it that way :) MG34 can overheat way more easily than the DP28. Etc...

The balance comes from map design - and the players' skill.

On perks, heroes etc:

Any "benefits" people gain will be small - and they will often apply to the TEAM, not to the individual - morale being a point in question. We also work to the principle that you should die because someone is better than you at that moment, was smart enough to get the drop on you - NOT because he has spent 130 hours becoming a Lvl6 Berserker...

You should try not contradicting yourself if you're trying to make a point. You want people to die because someone is better than that person, and you want skill to be the determining factor. Then in the same post you say you don't care about weapon balance. So which is it? Do you want it to be about skill, or about whos packing the boss.

You aren't going to be attracting any competitive cod/cs players(I would know) with awkward gameplay mechanics. I'm not talking about making weapons cookie cutters either. You can easily make the ppsh do less per hit than the mp40, which would force the player to require more skill, and wouldn't effect the realism in any way.

Upvote 0
Ok, alot of the skill comes from playing each weapon/class properly, and not playing like all weapons are equal. It is not all about who has the quick and twitchy skills, although that does come into play as well. Skill involves more than that, such as smarts and tactics.

EX: If you are a rifleman, running thru an open field against an mg = DUH! Use your head and spot your target and work with others to overcome it. That is the smart way to play and requires skill in itself.

Play to each weapons strengths, and coordinate with your teammates. That requires practice and skill.

Reactions: Grobut and Knighted
Upvote 0
You should try not contradicting yourself if you're trying to make a point. You want people to die because someone is better than that person, and you want skill to be the determining factor. Then in the same post you say you don't care about weapon balance. So which is it? Do you want it to be about skill, or about whos packing the boss.

You aren't going to be attracting any competitive cod/cs players(I would know) with awkward gameplay mechanics. I'm not talking about making weapons cookie cutters either. You can easily make the ppsh do less per hit than the mp40, which would force the player to require more skill, and wouldn't effect the realism in any way.

What do you think realism is, pretty graphics?

Thought you might be interested in this: http://www.usacheckers.com/

Reactions: Frostedfire
Upvote 0
IF there would be FFA in RO2, I could imagine it being that everyone spawns with rifle and that you have to pick up other weapons out on the map (that are placed out in a logical/""""realistic""""" say). With the right amount of player so that you can spawn in safety, I would probably play it now and then. Spawn with same non-rifle weapon over and over again jsut feels wrong in FFA.

Or spawn with handgun as handguns are many times better than rifles. Handguns are easier to use at least, more newbie friendly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.