• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is there going to be a good melee system?

The new alien versus predator game has a interesting yet simple and effective melee system.

Light melee counters heavy melee
Heavy Melee Breaks Guard/Block
Guard/Block defends against light melee.

Light -> Heavy -> Blocking -> Light

Also in AvP if you light attack immediately after you guard against a enemy's light attack, it will knock them down/stun them.
I think it would be interesting if RO:Hos utilized a similar system, it would add much more depth to melee instead of charge and stab people while running in circles. :D

As much as that sounds good. I think the melee system isn't the most important aspect of RO and RO:HOS. Most combat is ranged and you spend very little time fighting in melee since it usually takes a hit or two to kill someone. It would be fun to have it but I doubt TW would want to spend time on that since there are so many other more important features.

Reactions: Hoak
Upvote 0
As much as that sounds good. I think the melee system isn't the most important aspect of RO and RO:HOS. Most combat is ranged and you spend very little time fighting in melee since it usually takes a hit or two to kill someone. It would be fun to have it but I doubt TW would want to spend time on that since there are so many other more important features.
No way man, I get killed by grenades more than by bullets in RO Ost. Too much emphasis on the nadespam in Ost, sadly.

Upvote 0
It would be nice with a melee system that felt somewhat reliable. That's what bothers me most about it. Melee is not reliable

I feel vulnerable whenever I use a bolt action rifle in close quarters and miss. Which happens a lot. Do I ready another shot? Charge and try to hit him? Or run away? Usually I just run away. I might manage to hit him once, but more often then not it wont kill him and more often then not he shoots me before I can finish.

I don't think melee should be complicated either. A mount and blade combat system sounds excessive for something that is such a small part of the game. And that fighting system takes weeks or months to grasp. When you get caught by surprise you are not even thinking about blocking, much less blocking the right direction.

You shouldn't have to be an expert to be able to use melee with confidence. An idiot like me should be able to kill someone with a bayonet without having a black belt in some martial art or "mad skills". But by all means, better skilled people should still have the advantage.

Upvote 0
It would be nice with a melee system that felt somewhat reliable. That's what bothers me most about it. Melee feels far from being reliable

I feel vulnerable whenever I use a bolt action rifle in close quarters and miss. Which happens a lot. Do I ready another shot? Charge and try to hit him? Or run away? Usually I just run away. I might manage to hit him once, but more often then not it wont kill him and more often then not he shoots me before I can finish.

I don't think melee should be complicated either. A mount and blade combat system sounds excessive for something that is such a small part of the game. And that fighting system takes weeks or months to learn.

You shouldn't have to be an expert to be able to use melee with confidence. An idiot like me should be able to kill someone with a bayonet without having a black belt in some martial art. But by all means, better skilled people would still have the advantage.

Upvote 0
Sorry to up this thread, but i have an idea about the melee system and it would be useless to open a new thread for it i guess...

It is only about the way we aim, how and where we hit.
It is not complicated, but melee is often really fun, but very limited.. (always the same kind of bash etc)

If you know the game Mount and Blade.. you will understand easily what i want to explain ^^

If you aim the middle of the screen, you will just hit the ennemy's stomach :p

Here is a video... couldn't find a good one, but i hope you will see what i mean after you watch this, because it is really hard to explain for someone whose english is not his native language :p
(sorry for the music ^^)

YouTube - M&B Warband Melee Video

Last edited:
Upvote 0
no one suggested the savage 1 system?

people that remember this game from aaages ago might remember the human combat system (then again I rarely saw n00b humies using it) where they had a parry that would stop the beast attacks and stun them for a second, really powerful for the big guys who could nearly 1-hit you in that small time with a quick swing. Was thinking something similar, but with less of a stun eg you see someone charging you, you attack at the same time as he lands his blow (roughly) and you parry his attack, and you can repeat this a bit to have an actual fight instead of a) noticing you're being stabbed in the back and shooting them b) having a really complicated fighting system (rock-paper-scissors does get distracting if you're being shot at) that only half of us will ever use ;)

Upvote 0
M&B does have a kick *** melee system, but thats what the WHOLE game is about. If it could be boiled down to a more simplistic system that could easily be added I would be absolutely in favour. An yes to you shooters, a difference in bayo system is needed, however I wonder if ROHOS will be better because of a newer engine? also the animation blending should make bayoneting easier.

IMO let this topic rest until the beta, give stabbing a try and then bring it back and see if the subject needs work. I suspect it might be fine, or atleast better...

Upvote 0
In an average 50 kill map - maybe 1 of those will be melee, a "good" melee system would be great but it's hardly significant in my eyes.

Agreed. Not to mention that some games are completley BASED around melee, so for HoS to try and make this new cool melee system would be too much work for too little reward = waste of time and effor.

Upvote 0