• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Kill tally on your gun.

I figured it would be possible on tanks because you spawn with the tank, so at each spawn the tanks textures could be updated, or at the beginning of each round the new texture would be generated based upon kills....

ahha this is different to what i was getting at - dug up from a while back.....

I thought it would be a nice effect to see black and white bands appear on the barrel of your tank representing tank kills - I know certain Germans tankers did this, not sure about russians doing something similar.
The bands account for what the tank itself does in it's lifetime- not the crew in the round, and they are visable from both the gunner's optic and others outside. I just think it would be nice to see how well tanks are doing......However the deafening silence this idea met when I suggested it last year tells me I may be in a minority of one with this opinion....

indeed back then some people didn't realise i ment the markings represented what that individual tank itself (and that particular crew, because when you respawn you are in effect coming back as someone else) had achieved in that battle.
So they kinda rightly suggested that the scoreboard would suffice.
However...

Hold on mate, it wont be displaying the same information as the scores...........I've had good runs in a tank where I've forgotten exactly how many enemies I've taken out- and sometimes I'd like to see a tally. And if there was to be an indication, this would be as good as any.
I believe in a minimal amount of hud when it's possible to have a more realistic visual indication of what's going on........
.......it's just a silly little idea, and I'm hardly offended if people aren't blown away by it.
That said, had it been coded into Black Day July for example, I recon a fair few would have complimented it as an imaginative touch.

..so it's basically as close as (i hope) this game will ever get to displaying a 'killstreak'.

Now, i appreciate that tanker's didn't get out mid battle and start dawbing thier armour with paint as they got kills, and in game these markings will 'magically' appear as you get kills.
However i feel that it's a small suspension of disbelief in return for subtle, useful and immersive detail - rather than an outrageous realism breaker.

As to how it would be achieved, i figure you would keep just one base unmarked texture and then either -
create a band texture for ger and say a small star with an alpha background for russ, and code the tank so these are overlayed in appropriate postions for each kill ie. 1st kill a band appears a foot from mantlet, 2nd kill it is applied a few inches forward, while the 1st texture stays in place and so forth.

OR

create a number of similar sized textures, all of which would be applied to the same position on the tank, but each one has a different number of bands/symbols on it. (up to what is considered the highest possible number of kills in a single life)
Then just overlay the corrisponding texture over the tank, with the 1 kill texture updating to the 2 kill one etc.

The latter may be a good idea since i tend to think the germans adjusted the thickness of the bands as the kill counts increased, so the bands on a 3 kill texture would be thicker than on a 10+ kill one.

Just to add and sorry to those who know - but because the background (non symbol bit) of the textures would alpha (transparent) ,all you would see on the tank is the appropriate number of marks, the rest would not be obsured.

Upvote 0
I got here another picture of the so called "Siegesstreifen" this time on a Jagdpanzer Hetzer

Jagdpanzer_38_Hetzer_Sins_1.jpg

Upvote 0