• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra 40,000

Alright, I have saved that website to bookmarks. Doesn't RO2 run on the Unreal Engine and use UDK, though? Is it all pretty much the same?

Not really - 3DS is a 3D modelling and animation tool. The UDK allows you to build maps from BSP/CSG (simple structures), static meshes ("prefabs" built in something like 3DS and imported to UDK), and other goodies. So UDK doesn't really allow any modelling as such - unless you include the BSP stuff, which is useful but rudimentary compared to static meshes.

If you learn 3DS, it will basically open the door to modelling and animating for almost any engine on any platform - it's the start of your "tool chain"/"production pipeline", and since it can export many file formats, it is usable for pretty much any project.

To work on UDK/UE projects, you need both the UDK, and your choice of modelling tool. And lots of other stuff, but that's beyond the scope of this thread :) hehe

Upvote 0
I would just like to say if done right this could be amazing, and a multiplayer fps set in the 40k universe would be hard to do wrong.
Just make it somewhat balanced and let us start a right an proppa WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
I just wish i could help myself, alas i have no relevant skills.
and this mod would bring additional fanbase from wh40k communities if done right

Upvote 0
No space marines in this mod :D
Thats what makes it great!
While astartes are all well and good (being the emperors angels and all) the hammer of the emperium is under represented.
One suggestion i would like to make though is to encourage teamwork, especially on the IG side.
Some ideas i had on doing this where making your squads name apear a different color than the rest of your team, making SL commands show up on command on everyones screen for a few seconds and on holding T, giving commissars free TKS if orders are not carried out (perhaps mark people straying), SLs should make it harder to suppress nearby squad mates if this isnt already true, giving a healthy dose of points (5 or so) for following an order, also nobs and warbosses should be able to start a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH that makes his boyz faster and hit harder (in melee only) for a while in addition to making them impossible to supress for a smaller amount of time and perhaps a medic class, im sure the IG has medics although im not too familiar with them and mad doks for the orkz.

And you can be damn sure this will get the attention of 40k fans since a IG shooter hasnt been done before to my knowledge.

Upvote 0
Also, people would stop complaining about 'bionic zoom', since space marines have bionic zoom (right?) :p

No space marines in this mod :D

Indeed - but I suppose you can give the Imperial Guard some nifty 41st millennium scope technology! :) And you could give the Orks "dat blasta zoom fing wot 'iz made by da mek boyz" :D

Upvote 0
Indeed - but I suppose you can give the Imperial Guard some nifty 41st millennium scope technology! :) And you could give the Orks "dat blasta zoom fing wot 'iz made by da mek boyz" :D

Why not just 'lookin down da shooty makes da stuff on da udder end bigga!'

No space marines in this mod
While astartes are all well and good (being the emperors angels and all) the hammer of the emperium is under represented.
One suggestion i would like to make though is to encourage teamwork, especially on the IG side.
Some ideas i had on doing this where making your squads name apear a different color than the rest of your team, making SL commands show up on command on everyones screen for a few seconds and on holding T, giving commissars free TKS if orders are not carried out (perhaps mark people straying), SLs should make it harder to suppress nearby squad mates if this isnt already true, giving a healthy dose of points (5 or so) for following an order, also nobs and warbosses should be able to start a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH that makes his boyz faster and hit harder (in melee only) for a while in addition to making them impossible to supress for a smaller amount of time and perhaps a medic class, im sure the IG has medics although im not too familiar with them and mad doks for the orkz.

And you can be damn sure this will get the attention of 40k fans since a IG shooter hasnt been done before to my knowledge.

Upvote 0
Why not just 'lookin down da shooty makes da stuff on da udder end bigga!'

Dont forget that you can play as orks we need relism units for this mod
BIG WARBOSS KLAN!! :D

Upvote 0
Dont forget that you can play as orks we need relism units for this mod
BIG WARBOSS KLAN!! :D
I think warbosses should be the equal to a tank and a ***** to bring down.

Also, discussing this on a forum i frequent i heard some good ideas, the one that stood out the most though was that SLs should be able to place 'bubbles' where anyone inside it gets a small point and morale boost on kills, and the SL gets an even smaller share of the points to encourage him to do it.

I think showing the 'bubble' in the tactical overlay and map is very important, with the squad also getting an audio confirmation if possible on it.
Any way to encourage following your SL and your SL giving good and frequent orders would be nice really.

Upvote 0