• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[MOD] Aliens:KillingFloor

ChangeLog (I might have missed a couple of things)

Code:
Aliens KF 1.1
-Fixed Alien Squad mechanics to bring it inline with TWIs changes. 
-Fixed Alien blood splatter and hit impacts.
-Added Preatorian as a line breaker.
-Added icon to display help identify facehugged players.
-Teaked Alien Lurk behavour.
-Reduced cost of Motion Tracker
-Medic Spawns with Motion Tracker
-Reduced resale value of weapons to prevent suicide cash cylcing.
-Added more xeno sounds to increase veriation. 
-Included Mutator to add aliens to existing zed squads.

Congrats on getting it working and quite a nice update. Thanks for the source too. What exactly you done to stop it working etc?

Upvote 0
Congrats on getting it working and quite a nice update. Thanks for the source too. What exactly you done to stop it working etc?

Cheers and you're welcome, we did say we were going to release it. And we did, so fie on those of little faith.

"Stop it working"? Didn't quite understand in what context you are asking that question.

Upvote 0
Because it relies on a third party keeping it up to date that's why. Mirrors are alternative download sources in case one goes down. As we've not even come close to hitting a cap or limit mirrors are redundant.

If you have a problem with downloading from the host, then tell us and we'll provide a mirror ourselves.

Also this allows us to manage an update without having to wait on you to make sure your files are current. It allows us access to data such as download amounts and what countries/communities the mod is most popular with.

Once all our links are dead and we have stopped giving a **** then it's the time to rehost a file.

Now you know how mirrors work.

Upvote 0
Meh, one could argue you had no good reason to provide a mirror. ;)

Either way thanks for taking it down and allowing us to manage the mod our way. :)

EDIT

What's with this attack on our supposed bloated egos? We simply wish to maintain some control over our mod at least for a while, the sole purpose being to ensure that has the best experience with a working version.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Meh, one could argue you had no good reason to provide a mirror. ;)

Either way thanks for taking it down and allowing us to manage the mod our way. :)

On the contrary, I just removed the link.

With that being said, I average ~700 KB/sec from the server the mod is hosted on where as I get 1.2MB/sec + on my server (My connection is 1.2MB/Sec). I know the server you guys host it on is a fast server simply because when I download it directly to my server I get ~9.1 MB/sec+ speeds. Pretty sure others would have similar problems who aren't located where ever that server is located.

Therefore, it's best to have different mirrors located in different geographic locations so the user downloading can get the best possible speeds.

Additionally, I prevent confusion (even before anything was said) since you guys are using the exact same file name for all versions, I took it upon myself to rename the files with 1.0 and 1.1 at the end; which should prevent any confusion from downloading "old" versions.

But whatever, I took the link down upon request.

Upvote 0
What if we pushed out an update and a person that randomly googles the mod and downloads your old version link. We work on this mod, we provide the links...there is no ego involved. Just a free service of ours that insures the people have the right version.

Spreading links all around will cause confusion on what version is the right one, and we rather avoid that as we have enough problems with keeping up with TWI, let alone keeping random links up-to-date.

EDIT : we can add an american mirror if you wish

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You guys might want to fix the home page on your mod.
Apparently freely distributing the mod isn't so free, it has terms and conditions. ;)

So sue me for forgetting that part. =P Like I said, I just wanted to keep an eye on distribution to get an idea on things to begin with.

Well, given that we've had some feedback. We've included an American host alongside the EU host. And amended the archive name to prevent any confusion which was a slip up on our part. Thank you Skillz for pointing this out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So sue me for forgetting that part. =P

Well, given that we've had some feedback. We've included an American host alongside the EU host. And amended the archive name to prevent any confusion which was a slip up on our part. Thank you Skillz for pointing this out.

I'm not here to sue or blame persons who do work for free. :eek:

Well finally updated my server. Got it started and went to connect to it. Turns out that since none of the files have new names, I now have to update all the files on the redirect.

More trouble than it's worth. Therefore I don't think I will be hosting an Aliens server anymore. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not here to sue or blame persons who do work for free. :eek:

Well finally updated my server. Got it started and went to connect to it. Turns out that since none of the files have new names, I now have to update all the files on the redirect.

More trouble than it's worth. Therefore I don't think I will be hosting an Aliens server anymore. :(

Wouw...just amazed at this. Serveradmins bailing because of a fastredirect. Haha :)

Upvote 0
Wouw...just amazed at this. Serveradmins bailing because of a fastredirect. Haha :)

Actually, that's only part of the reason as I just tested this theory myself.

I updated all the files on the redirect + server.

Connected to the server and BAM, file mismatch.

Thus meaning in order to continue working with the Aliens modded server any clients that want to play on it must update locally as well. Granted that's what the Steam Workshop is for, not everyone, including myself, wishes to use that.

Additionally, someone who played on the server previously will now be confused as to what to do since they are all of a sudden greeted with a "file mismatch" without knowing they either subscribe to the mod in the Workshop or delete the files from their local client and download them again.

Although after ~30 days, by default, it will fix itself since the cache will be purged.

Still, you guys are talking about creating confusion like it's a big issue.

Upvote 0
Actually, that's only part of the reason as I just tested this theory myself.

I updated all the files on the redirect + server.

Connected to the server and BAM, file mismatch.

Thus meaning in order to continue working with the Aliens modded server any clients that want to play on it must update locally as well. Granted that's what the Steam Workshop is for, not everyone, including myself, wishes to use that.

Additionally, someone who played on the server previously will now be confused as to what to do since they are all of a sudden greeted with a "file mismatch" without knowing they either subscribe to the mod in the Workshop or delete the files from their local client and download them again.

Although after ~30 days, by default, it will fix itself since the cache will be purged.

Still, you guys are talking about creating confusion like it's a big issue.

I try to stay out of arguments.. but, I'm lost on what your saying there... I updated my servers this morning before I went to bed... and I have people playing on them with no problems. :confused: I first installed the update on one server, which i kinda use as my test server first, and all went well... Oo I thought it was a very easy and quick update... All I had to do, was use the update, copy the files over, and not have to worry about any name change. As long as they updated the same files to the work shop, the files should auto download to the client from steam, when the user logs on to Steam, just as with any game update.

Now I'm not a fan of Steam work shop, because a file mismatch cannot be taken care of by itself, as it can when clients download straight from the server... I have had issues with clients and server perks.... and the only file I have changed on server perks is the serverperksp file, and yes, i changed the name of it but it still causes problems with the steam work shop.. I'm guessing its because of the serverperkmut file... i didn't rename it, but i thought it was server side only??? So, i go through issues having to explain, how to unsubscribe to it on the workshop and then having to go and delete the files manually... I'm sure some people never make it to my server because of this... but, nothing i can do, until Steam makes their files like the servers when they are downloaded, cache and not regular system files... But, anyways lets get back on track... :D

Now as long as they updated the Steam workshop with the same files they have on the download link, no issues should happen. Again, i was able to add the files to my server and my redirect, and connect to it with my gaming system, with no problems, and as I type this, i'm watching others connect to my servers with no problems. Ever thing should go smooth as long as the same updated files are used on the workshop as they have listed on their website. I'm not for certain why yours is not working, if you are not using the workshop especially. When I connected to my server, it downloaded the new files from the redirect, and I never got a mismatch message.

Now I cannot say 100% for people that use the work shop... again, not a fan of the work shop, until how it handles files is changed... but, i would think everything should go smooth either way... I really confused on how your getting a file mismatch? if your not using the steam workshop especially. Was you logged into KF while you was updating your server, and then try to connect right after you updated without starting your KF game? I'm just trying to figure how your getting a file mismatch :confused:

As for not changing the version... Yes, that is not good in a way. But, it's not the end of the world by no means. I can understand why they didn't put a version number on it... they would have had to go through the entire source to reflect the version change... which with this amount of source files, your looking at an hour to hours doing it by yourself.. or close to it. that gets old in a hurry... I know some of my perks i made... i have halted the updates, because I just don't have time to go through and change the version number... I however don't use the steam work shop for the perks I made, so I don't have to worry about keeping that updated also. But, i'm about done with version numbers also, if there is to be any more updates to the perks i made... I just don't have an hour or so, to set and change the version number for a few updates. But, with no version number change, the problem comes when people start hosting the files on 3rd party download servers. That will really cause issues, because in time, 3rd party servers usually lacks on keeping the newest files available.

So no version number, yes there will be some mismatches at first. but, as long as updates are posted here on the forums, its an easy and quick fix for server admins. That is why file downloads should be kept in one place, to keep version mismatch to a minimum, and will allow server admins one direct place to come to for the most up to date files, and one direct place to keep check on for updates.

So, I can understand why they are asking for the file downloads to stay in one place. Because if they are not going to use version numbers, then you would want the download links to come from the source of the files, and keep 3rd party links out... Because if they do an update... and something doesn't work... i as a server admin, knows to come here, to this thread and the updated files should be here on the link provided. Now if there was a 3rd party link, and if they released an update, until the 3rd party link was updated... there would be confusion. because server admins would be downloading from that link, thinking they where getting the newest files, when they where still getting the same files as before.

Again, maybe I missed something, I still don't understand how your getting a file mismatch, especially if your not using the work shop, other than when you updated your server and redirect, you connected via your client without restarting KF. But, I know you already know that, because your a vet on here, not coming across negative when saying that, stating a fact there, but, I'm just confused on how your getting a file mismatch :confused:

Again as for clients downloading the files from the work shop... i'm guessing that direction would go smooth also, as long as the same files where used on it as the link they have for the download, all should go smooth... that's the only way i could think a file miss match might happen and have problems fixing...

However, it just hit me, did you say you changed or added a version number to it? How did you do this correctly? You would need to go into the source to make the changes also for the new version listed on the files. I didn't think they were allowing people to decompile the files, that is why others was waiting for a source release. That might be where your getting the file mismatch. Again, i'm just trying to think of things to why your getting a version mismatch, especially since your not using the work shop. :confused:

However, I'm not running the mod strictly as a alien server, i'm only using the aliens from the mod, and using them in my sandbox servers with several other mods running, and I haven't has any issues yet. But, I still don't understand how your getting the version mismatch, unless its one of the two ways i have listed above :confused:

As for the mod and update. Thanks again for the mod and work you all have put into this. As for the ego thing... no it's not ego, its your work, and you all have every right to share and ask how it is shared as you please. There is a reason your asking people to not start hosting it on 3rd party mirrors, and the above is the reason as i listed, and I can totally understand that, and that is why it should be kept in one place. :) I know it probably won't... but, as a server admin, i'll only be using the links you provide, to download the files, and will come here to keep check as often as possible for updates :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I try to stay out of arguments.. but, I'm lost on what your saying there... I updated my servers this morning before I went to bed... and I have people playing on them with no problems. :confused: I first installed the update on one server, which i kinda use as my test server first, and all went well... Oo I thought it was a very easy and quick update... All I had to do, was use the update, copy the files over, and not have to worry about any name change. As long as they updated the same files to the work shop, the files should auto download to the client from steam, when the user logs on to Steam, just as with any game update.

I never said it would prevent 100% of the people from joining. However, if one person installed the Aliens mod manually last month, then attempts to join a server now they will be greeted with a mismatch until they update those files. Now if they know how to install the mod manually, one could argue they'll know how to update/fix the mismatch by;

1. Deleting the files off the client.
2. Downloading the new package and installing it.
3. Subscribing to the Steam Workshop and letting it update the files.

Now I'm not a fan of Steam work shop, because a file mismatch cannot be taken care of by itself, as it can when clients download straight from the server... I have had issues with clients and server perks.... and the only file I have changed on server perks is the serverperksp file, and yes, i changed the name of it but it still causes problems with the steam work shop.. I'm guessing its because of the serverperkmut file... i didn't rename it, but i thought it was server side only??? So, i go through issues having to explain, how to unsubscribe to it on the workshop and then having to go and delete the files manually... I'm sure some people never make it to my server because of this... but, nothing i can do, until Steam makes their files like the servers when they are downloaded, cache and not regular system files... But, anyways lets get back on track... :D

You should never modify a mod without renaming it entirely. That would have prevented your issue.

Now as long as they updated the Steam workshop with the same files they have on the download link, no issues should happen. Again, i was able to add the files to my server and my redirect, and connect to it with my gaming system, with no problems, and as I type this, i'm watching others connect to my servers with no problems. Ever thing should go smooth as long as the same updated files are used on the workshop as they have listed on their website. I'm not for certain why yours is not working, if you are not using the workshop especially. When I connected to my server, it downloaded the new files from the redirect, and I never got a mismatch message.

Probably because I manually installed version 1.0 prior to version 1.1 being released. Therefore the files were not just in the cache directory. Granted if someone manually installed the mod, then tried to use the mod locally it wouldn't work so they would have to download it again anyway.

Now I cannot say 100% for people that use the work shop... again, not a fan of the work shop, until how it handles files is changed... but, i would think everything should go smooth either way... I really confused on how your getting a file mismatch? if your not using the steam workshop especially. Was you logged into KF while you was updating your server, and then try to connect right after you updated without starting your KF game? I'm just trying to figure how your getting a file mismatch :confused:

Because I manually installed the mod during version 1.0.

As for not changing the version... Yes, that is not good in a way. But, it's not the end of the world by no means. I can understand why they didn't put a version number on it... they would have had to go through the entire source to reflect the version change... which with this amount of source files, your looking at an hour to hours doing it by yourself.. or close to it. that gets old in a hurry... I know some of my perks i made... i have halted the updates, because I just don't have time to go through and change the version number... I however don't use the steam work shop for the perks I made, so I don't have to worry about keeping that updated also. But, i'm about done with version numbers also, if there is to be any more updates to the perks i made... I just don't have an hour or so, to set and change the version number for a few updates. But, with no version number change, the problem comes when people start hosting the files on 3rd party download servers. That will really cause issues, because in time, 3rd party servers usually lacks on keeping the newest files available.

They have ways to use the "replace word or phrase" function across multiple files at one time, without the need to edit each one individually. So changing say v10 to v11 could be just a few short clicks away and be done in under 10 minutes.

So no version number, yes there will be some mismatches at first. but, as long as updates are posted here on the forums, its an easy and quick fix for server admins. That is why file downloads should be kept in one place, to keep version mismatch to a minimum, and will allow server admins one direct place to come to for the most up to date files, and one direct place to keep check on for updates.

If the archive name had a version hierarchy attached to it, it would prevent confusion if you're getting the wrong version or the correct one. They have already done this by adding v11 to the archive file name.

So, I can understand why they are asking for the file downloads to stay in one place. Because if they are not going to use version numbers, then you would want the download links to come from the source of the files, and keep 3rd party links out... Because if they do an update... and something doesn't work... i as a server admin, knows to come here, to this thread and the updated files should be here on the link provided. Now if there was a 3rd party link, and if they released an update, until the 3rd party link was updated... there would be confusion. because server admins would be downloading from that link, thinking they where getting the newest files, when they where still getting the same files as before.

Again, read the above solution. Adding a hierarchy to the archive name would solve that.

Again, maybe I missed something, I still don't understand how your getting a file mismatch, especially if your not using the work shop, other than when you updated your server and redirect, you connected via your client without restarting KF. But, I know you already know that, because your a vet on here, not coming across negative when saying that, stating a fact there, but, I'm just confused on how your getting a file mismatch :confused:

Not explaining it again.

However, it just hit me, did you say you changed or added a version number to it? How did you do this correctly? You would need to go into the source to make the changes also for the new version listed on the files. I didn't think they were allowing people to decompile the files, that is why others was waiting for a source release. That might be where your getting the file mismatch. Again, i'm just trying to think of things to why your getting a version mismatch, especially since your not using the work shop. :confused:

I changed the name of the archive, (the zip) not the name of the files themselves.

However, I'm not running the mod strictly as a alien server, i'm only using the aliens from the mod, and using them in my sandbox servers with several other mods running, and I haven't has any issues yet. But, I still don't understand how your getting the version mismatch, unless its one of the two ways i have listed above :confused:

Already explained it.

http://www.mostimpressive.nl/AKF/

We had a bit of a hickup with the :

AKFHUD_T.utx file

Redownload the update, and it should have it in the texture folder.

After that it wont give you the mismatch again.

Next time say wich file is fcking up so we can help you guys faster.

The name of the file I was receiving a mismatch on was AliensKFXenos.utx. I know why I received the mismatch, simply because I was trying out a possible scenario.

Manually installing Aliens 1.0 and not manually installing Aliens 1.1 would result in getting a mismatch should you join a server now. Totally the fault of the client and not the fault of the modding team, however it is possible for this to occur.

As for the ego comment, I had a really long day at work last night and was rather frustrated; took it out on the further frustration I had and put it into words here. My apologies. For the record; my job sucks and as soon as I find a way out, I'm gone.

Upvote 0