• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Making new weapons out of existing weapons

C_Gibby

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
I'm not sure if I made a thread on this before, but I know I've mentioned it several times within other threads where it gets lost.

Basically I'm thinking that it'd be hella easy to create "new" weapons out of weapons that are already in-game. It's largely changes to existing code, models, and textures. Think of the Mossberg 12 that one member of the modding community made. It was an edited version of the pumpshotty, same animations with alterations to its code and existing model/texture.

K lets start.

Commando - MP5A3 (Altered MP5M)

Could be named MP5A3 as opposed to MP5M to avoid confusion. It would have to look different to the MP5M to not only make it feel new, but also differentiate it much more from the MP5M.

Here's what it'd look like, which is omgsoclose to what the current MP5M looks like:

400px-MP002M-1.jpg

The changes/features are as follows:

• Removal of Medicy-bits
  • Removal of fancy sights
  • Activation of the already-modelled flashlight
  • Due to the flashlight, it remains fullauto
    • The "doubleshot" and sound looping bugs need to be fixed from the MP5M
  • Change the greenish parts of the texture to black
  • Cut off the stock
  • Put the weight up to 5 or 4, instead of the MP5M's 3.
  • Massively slash the price of the gun, putting it to the bullpup's level.
  • Give it the bullpup's ammo pool of 500.
  • Animations/sound would be the same as the MP5M.
  • Slightly reduced fire rate, as to not outshine the bullpup.
  • It has greater recoil than the bullpup due to the lack of a stock, recoil that is more noticable whilst moving.
  • Apply usual commando bonuses
    • Recoil reduction
    • Discount
    • Damage increase
    • Mag size increase (from current 32 round base)
    • Reload speed increase
Now the damage of the MP5A3 may be a pinch larger than the 'pup, but its lack of the fancy sight enables less accurate/easy aiming, and the user will find themselves having to reload much more often. As opposed to the 'pup's lovely sight that provides a clear aiming point in all conditions, the MP5 provides visibility instead.

It's also not as accurate as the 'pup so it's more of a hipshooting kind of gun rather than the headshot machine that is the 'pup. It's essentially a low-tier sidegrade that like the 'pup, can see use in later waves by providing something that the higher-up guns do not. Think of the differences between the AK and M4, but placed on a different tier. It's also friggin' cheap.

Commando MAC10 (Altered Firebug MAC10, comes with alterations to Firebug MAC10)

This is essentially the exact same MAC10, but it has its silencer removed and commando bonuses applied. It calls for more changes to the Firebug's MAC10 instead.

• The Firebug version of the MAC10 is more expensive than the Commando MAC10. The Commando MAC10 will take the spot of costing

Last edited:
tbh, I was kinda surprised that the Hunting Rifle and MP5 variants by BrainDead were not considered for inclusion. Especially as in my humble opinion the HR was a better choice than the M99. But I digress.

The modders have created some variants. For example everything you suggested apart from the dragons breath shotgun (although that was kind of done) has been made.

Moss12 - Hemi, BD & Benjamin
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=51784

MP5 Variants - BD
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=73260

Unsilenced MAC10 - YoYoBatty
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=48150

Maybe they were looking for something drasticly different. I do think it's high time for a new zed. The Brute or Shiver would be perfect. I'm worried that KF is moving to far from the gritty feel of it's early days. Nothing wrong with some polish, but the weapons have gone from being what you could find scattered about to some very high end military gear.

But yes, I like your idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd like to see the hunting rifle make it in-game, tbh. But I feel an Enfield (or that Mosin they seem to be working on right now) would fit the role better.

Though the Moss12 is pretty over-the-top powerful from what I've seen of it (I love it though) and the Unsilenced MAC10 by Batty doesn't have many changes on it to speak of, save for the look.

But I do like BD's MP5 pack, very much! But code/balance-wise, I think it needs some heavyish reworking. While the stuff you showed me is certainly very cool, it doesn't fit into what I'm intending with this suggestion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All that is left is a simple tweak of the code and we have what you are looking for. Which is what TWI would have to do before bringing it into game and why I linked/suggested those mods.

Moss12 is powerful, that could easily be brought back in line.
The Unsilenced MAC10 is a little more powerful than the silenced version.
MP5s would just the balance treatment.

Upvote 0
All that is left is a simple tweak of the code and we have what you are looking for. Which is what TWI would have to do before bringing it into game and why I linked/suggested those mods.

Moss12 is powerful, that could easily be brought back in line.
The Unsilenced MAC10 is a little more powerful than the silenced version.
MP5s would just the balance treatment.

Well if you put it that way, yeah, great stuff. :D At first most of the work was done, and now even more of the work is done!

Upvote 0
As for some more ideas...

Sledge Hammer - Axe
Scar without scope and maybe a flash light. (Maybe redundant with 'mando vision)
9mm auto pistol.

Umm.... I'm somewhat stuck as I'm not much of a gun person.

A SCAR-H with a laser, always on, with select fire.

Would that make the M14 obsolete?

Or we could polish the other FAL and put that in.

Upvote 0
I prefer a torch, a light that's always flashing off and on would be distracting and not really useful IMO.

whu

Do you think I mean something else? :confused: I'm talking about a red dot like the M14's to be used for aiming. But yeah if there's people who'd prefer a torch over a pointer, at least we know that the laser 9mm won't make the torch 9mm obsolete.

Upvote 0
whu

Do you think I mean something else? :confused: I'm talking about a red dot like the M14's to be used for aiming. But yeah if there's people who'd prefer a torch over a pointer, at least we know that the laser 9mm won't make the torch 9mm obsolete.

A laser sight would be good, however i'd prefer that on (all?) dualies as means of making them less than useless.

But i agree with you on the laser over torch thing. :eek:

Upvote 0