• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Punkbuster

specta3

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Why do all the top servers not use bunkbuster ????

Maybe i am just bad at this game but i swear there seem to be players with aim bots and speed hacks in this game ???

Are is it just all in my mind)))) Had some strange things happen like floating in the air and moveing backwards when i spawn and droping dead and it then shows i was killed by a enemy .

Also on relaism i put a a clip in to some one at short range with a smg and they run right through it , then turn around reload and kill me with one bullet from a rifle?.Players run like the wind when i shoot them and i run in treacle when they are shooting me ))))

Is it just me are is it the effects from realism mode and the perks other players get compared to newbs ?

Perks really don't matter, I'm about 10 ish hours into playing and I just topped the scoreboard with about 300 points and over 60 kills in a match on mamayev. Some players really are just good with their reaction timing and it seems sometimes people are using aimbots, but with how weapon sway and stamina account into aiming one would be near impossible to make let alone be useful. It happens in every FPS, some people really are just that good.

Players that move faster than others have hero rank on their class, which gives them a slight boost in stamina and run speed.

Upvote 0
Are is it just all in my mind)))) Had some strange things happen like floating in the air and moveing backwards when i spawn and droping dead and it then shows i was killed by a enemy .

What you describe here sounds a lot like bad lag.
Emptying a clip into an enemy coming at you without a kill could also be caused by the same thing.

I have seen this in other games with poor netcode, or when you play with high ping.

Upvote 0
When I first played Ost I thought everyone was cheating lol.Seeing people rack up the kills and I struggled to just get a few.After many months of playing I was being called out for cheating something I would NEVER do.Nighty five percent of the people you think are cheating are not.Yes some have been cought but they don't last long.They get called out by vets who can tell and good admins being a smaller community its hard for them to hide amongst the masses and keep switching servers.

Once a person has mastered a weapon (how to lead targets etc) and puts himself in a good position.Its common for a non commander to get 40 plus kills just by skill and knowledge alone.Commanders can get 100 plus easy with arty.So I can fully understand why new guys think a bunch of people are cheating.

As you know this game has a steep learning curve but when you overcome that curve your rewarded by being a much more effective player.Something many games lack where after a few days you have mastered the game if you played any fps from the mainstream.

Aimbots are pretty easy to spot by their mechanical gun movement where the gun snaps around target to target.Also most cheaters don't care about position or objectives for the most part.Observe a guy you think is cheating odds are he is just in a good spot and is good with his weapon.

Keep playing and one day you will be called out for cheating that means your doing something right (when your not cheating);). That's what I love about RO your always challenged and learning becoming a much better player in the process.In short it rewards time spent much more than arcade games.

I played HoS since beta and in my many hours of play I only spotted one guy who I know was cheating.Even then he didn't last long getting killed out in the open and his aimbot wasn't saving him lol.Cheaters want to totally dominate and never die.That is why there is fewer in Ro than other games smaller community + unforgiving game play gives them a bitter experience.

Upvote 0
What you describe here sounds a lot like bad lag.
Emptying a clip into an enemy coming at you without a kill could also be caused by the same thing.

I have seen this in other games with poor netcode, or when you play with high ping.

I think your right about it being lag , its funny some games they drop and some they dont , guess thats lag.

But there are such fine margins more so than any other games , I am talking about a 1mm shots , like you see a tiny part of the head from a distance , some players pick them of in a second , But i have to compose my aim wait for it to steady then Bang he got me ))))))

But why no Punkbuster ?? why is it not used on alot of servers , could some one please explain ? thanks

Upvote 0
When I first played Ost I thought everyone was cheating lol.Seeing people rack up the kills and I struggled to just get a few.After many months of playing I was being called out for cheating something I would NEVER do.Nighty five percent of the people you think are cheating are not.Yes some have been cought but they don't last long.They get called out by vets who can tell and good admins being a smaller community its hard for them to hide amongst the masses and keep switching servers.

Once a person has mastered a weapon (how to lead targets etc) and puts himself in a good position.Its common for a non commander to get 40 plus kills just by skill and knowledge alone.Commanders can get 100 plus easy with arty.So I can fully understand why new guys think a bunch of people are cheating.

As you know this game has a steep learning curve but when you overcome that curve your rewarded by being a much more effective player.Something many games lack where after a few days you have mastered the game if you played any fps from the mainstream.

Aimbots are pretty easy to spot by their mechanical gun movement where the gun snaps around target to target.Also most cheaters don't care about position or objectives for the most part.Observe a guy you think is cheating odds are he is just in a good spot and is good with his weapon.

Keep playing and one day you will be called out for cheating that means your doing something right (when your not cheating);). That's what I love about RO your always challenged and learning becoming a much better player in the process.In short it rewards time spent much more than arcade games.

I played HoS since beta and in my many hours of play I only spotted one guy who I know was cheating.Even then he didn't last long getting killed out in the open and his aimbot wasn't saving him lol.Cheaters want to totally dominate and never die.That is why there is fewer in Ro than other games smaller community + unforgiving game play gives them a bitter experience.

Thanks for the feed back Gunther , and good advice,

Starting to get the hang of it.Notice players use a style to breach a building to counter people like me ,Think they spint in and wait for players to shoot thier load so to speak , then they pick them off .Alot of recoil on the SMG have to learn to tap it softer, the russian one seems far harder to control recoil wise than the german smg , which is true to life i guess ))
I am like a drunk man peeing up a wall with it some times ))))

Suppose some times when i die i just think thats not possible there was no angle , how, were, no way etc , i had the drop on him .
All them things i guess make you some times think he must be cheating ,But as you say its more to do with experiance and knowing the places and time to be in them places ))

When its good its very good but when your getting owned it can drive you up the wall )))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But why no Punkbuster ?? why is it not used on alot of servers , could some one please explain ? thanks

Their is a few reasons number one is punk buster sucks Vac is better IMO.It kicks people for false positive cheats and then fails to detect the actual cheaters.Personally I never have been a fan of PB for the simple reason it mostly fails at what its intended to do.

Another problem is from what I have heard it gives a performance hit on the servers as it hogs up net code and hurts fps.There are some who cannot even play on a PB server not for cheating but a glitch that want even allow them to join.

I never had any problems running on a PB server besides a small fps hit.Wouldn't mind it if more ran it but there is some problems people have running it (people with low fps mainly). The reason I don't mind them not running it is its not very effective anyway like I said IMO VAC is better.

Upvote 0
Their is a few reasons number one is punk buster sucks Vac is better IMO.It kicks people for false positive cheats and then fails to detect the actual cheaters.Personally I never have been a fan of PB for the simple reason it mostly fails at what its intended to do.

Another problem is from what I have heard it gives a performance hit on the servers as it hogs up net code and hurts fps.There are some who cannot even play on a PB server not for cheating but a glitch that want even allow them to join.

I never had any problems running on a PB server besides a small fps hit.Wouldn't mind it if more ran it but there is some problems people have running it (people with low fps mainly). The reason I don't mind them not running it is its not very effective anyway like I said IMO VAC is better.

Thanks, so Vac does all bunkpuster does , But with out the negatives .
I wonder why people run Vac and punkbuster together then .
Interesding to know for a PC gamer newb like me)))

Upvote 0
Thanks, so Vac does all bunkpuster does , But with out the negatives .
I wonder why people run Vac and punkbuster together then .
Interesding to know for a PC gamer newb like me)))

Yes VAC stands for Valve Anti cheating and its standard on all servers.
The idea of using both was for double cheat protection it was a good idea on paper but in practice it has its troubles.

Upvote 0
Maybe i am just bad at this game but i swear there seem to be players with aim bots and speed hacks in this game ???
In this game it's hard to me to say if someone is using aimbots or speed hacks, because much depends on where you are, where the enemy was, on personal abilities regarding aim, etc.

Also on relaism i put a a clip in to some one at short range with a smg and they run right through it , then turn around reload and kill me with one bullet from a rifle?.Players run like the wind when i shoot them and i run in treacle when they are shooting me ))))
Small caliber is less likely to kill than single rifle bullet of larger caliber. Sometimes you can wound them, but not enough to kill or make them bleed to the death. You can even miss if you are not aiming down sights or not leading your target sufficiently enough.

Run speed depends on the place of the wound, I guess (not sure if it's the same for Realism as it's for Classic), and if you take bullet in your leg you'll be forced to walk very slowly for a while.

Is it just me are is it the effects from realism mode and the perks other players get compared to newbs ?
It might help, but still everything depends on the player.

Upvote 0
I enebled pb a few days ago on my both 64ers and had to disable it when players started complaining about lags. It happens with full load. So this is a reason why pb is disabled. I meet cheaters very rare tbh. 99% of cheating accusitions are created by unexperianced players.

Good call, performance is most important.

On an unrelated note, your avatar looks like Anders Breivik :D

Upvote 0
Why do all the top servers not use bunkbuster ????

EXCUSE ME??? Most ALL the servers use PUNKBUSTER! In fact, they use PB and VAC together. Trying to ensure fair game play.

A select few do not use PB and one must wonder why...
Lag & Hitching are often blamed on PB. That's nonsense! The lag and hitch problems blamed on PB is due to the PB config file being poorly managed. Nothing more. We have yet to experience LAG on *ANY * of our RGN Servers for any reason let alone PB anti-cheat service. We run PB full boat and will keep it that way. We've done so for years with all our PB serviced game servers.
Some use weakened PB, some go for full strength. Most however do use Punkbuster and for good reason.... there ARE cheats and exploits out there and they are in use.

Any server not using PB is courting the inevitable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
excuse me??? Most all the servers use punkbuster! In fact, they use pb and vac together. Trying to ensure fair game play.

A select few do not use pb and one must wonder why...
lag & hitching are often blamed on pb. That's nonsense! The lag and hitch problems blamed on pb is due to the pb config file being poorly managed. Nothing more. We have yet to experience lag on *any * of our rgn servers for any reason let alone pb anti-cheat service. We run pb full boat and will keep it that way. We've done so for years with all our pb serviced game servers.
some use weakened pb, some go for full strength. Most however do use punkbuster and for good reason.... There are cheats and exploits out there and they are in use.

Any server not using pb is courting the inevitable.

+1

Upvote 0
EXCUSE ME??? Most ALL the servers use PUNKBUSTER! In fact, they use PB and VAC together. Trying to ensure fair game play.

A select few do not use PB and one must wonder why...
Lag & Hitching are often blamed on PB. That's nonsense! The lag and hitch problems blamed on PB is due to the PB config file being poorly managed. Nothing more. We have yet to experience LAG on *ANY * of our RGN Servers for any reason let alone PB anti-cheat service. We run PB full boat and will keep it that way. We've done so for years with all our PB serviced game servers.
Some use weakened PB, some go for full strength. Most however do use Punkbuster and for good reason.... there ARE cheats and exploits out there and they are in use.

Any server not using PB is courting the inevitable.

I have no problem with PunkBusters but it does give a fps hit 5-10 fps sometimes even more depending on the server.

What bugs me is paranoid admins who ban anyone for doing good ...this does happen often and there is no cheat involved just skill.

Upvote 0
I have no problem with PunkBusters but it does give a fps hit 5-10 fps sometimes even more depending on the server.

What bugs me is paranoid admins who ban anyone for doing good ...this does happen often and there is no cheat involved just skill.

FPS hits are not necessarily the fault of PB but the hardware the server is running on. That sort of thing, as with most Server trubs, usually happens with inexperience and/or inadequate resources for the server.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
FPS hits are not necessarily the fault of PB but the hardware the server is running on. That sort of thing, as with most Server trubs, usually happens with inexperience and/or inadequate resources for the server.

True some servers should not be 64 players as well the ones that can handle it its fine.Some takes a big hit when its full plus with PB it hurts them performance wise.

I do like the idea of double cheat protection because cheating is the lowest of the low in any pvp if you ask me.

Upvote 0