• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is there a way to see who is in what squad during combat?

ROII4Me

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
The start screen goes by so fast I rarely get to see who is in my squad.

As a SL I have NO IDEA whatsoever as to how many soldiers are in my squad, unless I am 1st Squad, in which case I get about a two second glimpse.

Is there any way to call up that screen DURING a round, so I can see who is in my squad, what their names are so I can address them and communicate with them effectively?

If not, this had better be added to the game and soon.

Was that some kind of order.
A comment pertinent to this game would be:
Who died and made you the boss? ;)

In answer to your question. I too would like to see this feature.

Whats my answer?
Press TAB - I think the dull green coloured guys are in your squad, the bright green guys are squad leaders and the orange is the commander?

I just wish roles were listed in the TAB screen

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ro2squads.png

You can also select the role slot in the squad screen if you want to be in a certain squad.

Reactions: clambo
Upvote 0
The squad system is confusing to say the least !!
there should definitly be an option to name your squad (Teamwork) to attract tp oriented players, and the ability to kick and close the squads.

All this to give players more "fun"

the color thing is **** ! i am color blind and this system is really frustrating !

the 80 % of the game is so cool and great, it is really just anoying that these things are missing from my favorite game ..
crossing fingers for TW to look into these things :)

Upvote 0
Potential explosives pioneers that are colour blind say the same thing :(

Now that the fire team thing has been explained I unerstand

I am going to pay more carefull attention in the next game. As most of the time I see squad leaders as FT1

Commander
My Squad leader I do not think it is white as the rest of the men in your side are white!
My fire team (FT3 = fire team 3) (MG or Rifles part of squad\section basically)
Other rifle team in my squad\section?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have never really learned what the difference between fireteam and squad is in this game (or in rl for that matter).

Neither of them seem to play any particular role in gameplay, I just work with the players that happens to be around me.

The whole team is broken down into squads, the amount depends upon how many players are on the team. The Commander can give instructions to specific squads or all of them via his communication wheel

Those squads are lead by a Squad leader, his squad is broken down into smaller groups called fire teams, again he can give instructions to a specific fire team or all them at once via his command wheel, for example he can tell fire team 1 to attack the next objective, while ordering fire team 2 to defend the current objective.

The main problem is, the command wheel function is pretty nondescript, when you give orders via it, most often players don't even see the message, and the vast majority don't wish to work in squads anyway. Those that tend to work tactically do so via the voice chat function or TS/ventrillo.

It also doesn't help that the maps are small and the game so fast, you can give an order via the command wheel to defend, and by the time you get through the clunky interface, the objectives have changed, perhaps when the games gets some decent mods and larger maps have been made it will become more useful

Upvote 0
Another way to do it during a game would be to esc to the main menu and choose change role... then choose the squad tab. You should be able to see who is in your squad then and what role they are.

This menu though is the one that causes me most frustration.

EDIT: that menu is shown in the pic above.

Upvote 0
I wondered what those colors meant! I only saw them at the end of rounds and thought it had something to do with who was still alive.

What would help most is the screen that shows on the screen for fleeting seconds second at the start of a map, which shows a breakdown of each squad and what role they have. THAT is what needs to be available DURING a match.

A SL should be able to look at a glance and see he has 1 MG 2 Assault and a rifleman.

Not that people use much in they way of military tactics in these free for alls, but with organized clans it would be a big help when a leader needs to improvise after taking loses, etc.

Upvote 0
the whole squad system in the game is totally useless for both pub and clan matches

if only we had points reward for accomplishing an order...

I'm pretty sure the vote dismiss isn't working as well... why would you care protecting a dumb squad leader who doesn't seem to know how to walk forward, not to mention attack capzones

Upvote 0
Sometimes I see green circles under the feet of my team members. Not sure what they are or how to reproduce this effect. I mapped squad chat to the Tab key so, I'm not sure what the Tab key was suppose to do, anyways.

The green circles indicate that the squad leader has selected that fire team (or all fire teams) for a command (via the x key or the b command menu center button).

What I don't understand is why anyone but the squad leader should see this, as it's a UI helper for the SL and immersion-breaking for anyone else.
Maybe it's a bug or maybe it's to effect squad awareness at the moment a command is given; you can see "hey, these guys are being told to do something, and I'm being told to do something, so these guys must be in my squad!" I would think it's a bug or an oversight of some kind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0