• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hopes for the full release or a mod

Well it wasn't anything I expected it to be I hoped from the screenshots that Tripwire wouldn't ruin RO2, after all they made RO1.

How could they stuff it up?

Simply put it feels like a Battlefield game in Stalingrad.

The graphics, can we a higher setting so I don't see popping LODs?

Voice acting please a button to turn off random comments. (And of cause the full non-English please which I've heard should happen)

The the weapon zooms etc are silly, and shouldn't be an option it should just be off... Same with FOV why make it changeable just make it good to what is the most realistic. I first set it to 90 and I could see through walls.

I can run through my team mates.

I think everyone just wanted new graphics, new maps, and RO1 gameplay with a few good additional features. I honestly just want to play RO1 now and wait for the Real RO2 Mod. The full version better be nothing like the Beta, if not delay this game please!

The shooting mechanics are what is causing the feeling of doubt in my stomach.

With all factors combined - naturally steadier aiming, the ability to hold your breathe and have ZERO weapon sway, the 2 zooms offered upon ADS and upon holding breathe...

It's too easy to hit the target IMO, and this is what is making it seem so drastically different from RO1.

Upvote 0
guys imagine trying to shoot someone at 1000m on the bigger maps that aren't in the beta.. even with the breath zoom it's not going to help you one bit... I think you all are just over reacting. I'm sure there will be ultra realism servers that turn the breath zoom off or something. But to me I just see it as the guy moving his head a bit closer to the sights

Upvote 0
I'm pleased someone is finding it easy to hit the target because I'm certainly not :D

I'm finding it easy because I'm more than used to accounting for the bullet ballistics. Now, on top of my advantage to a RO newbie in terms of knowing where to aim - I can make my rifle rock-steady with a nice zoom which makes my aiming easier on a two-fold level. One, I'm not fighting with weapon sway like I was in RO1 if not leaning on something. Two, zoom speaks for itself.

Yes, I know why the zoom is there, I accept the argument that in fact, it is more realistic.

All in, however, hitting the target isn't much harder to me than COD/BF. I won't be alone, all RO vets are likely crackshots by default in RO2.

It was the skill involved in shooting that largely made RO1 what it was for me. I feel that all the elements I listed previously have removed this aspect.

Reactions: CCCP
Upvote 0
Rab are you playing on realism or relaxed? Maybe they've got more sway in the realism servers, if not I'm sure they'll tweak it if enough complain.

And it is a bit harsh to compare it to COD/BF, it is far, far easier to aim and kill in those games, they're almost arcade like in comparison for the average gamer :)

Upvote 0
They do seem to have stepped back a little from the hardcore style of RO1, which is a bit of a shame, but hopefully with all the realism settings set up it will be better, and then of course once the full mods come out we will be sorted, but it is a bit of a shame that they have made the game easier.
But the game is still brilliant and fun, just they set themselves so highly with RO1 that people are expecting the best.

Also, in terms of the maps, are these smaller maps? The speed at which you can get to the enemy from spawn seems incredibly quick and it's incredibly hectic. Unlike the vast majority of the maps in Darkest Hour whereby there was a good distance between you and you had to slowly work your way to reach the enemy. It just all seems very rushed, plus with the time limit being for me very short, meaning everyone is frantically trying to push up and it's causing mayhem and a loss of tactical approach.

Upvote 0
weapon sway isn't there because it really isn't all that realistic.. Have you ever shot a rifle? Or an SMG? You aren't swaying your arms all over the damn place, the only thing you're fighting is your breathing and thats why they modeled a full breathing system. Some people are just never happy.

I completely resent that.

No, I've never fired a weapon - this is irrelevant because my argument isn't exactly to do with realism, it's about how easy it is. If you want to go down the realism mode though, then fine - what I do know, is that your arms become tired when in a position of strain over time ( you can be holding absolutely nothing and this will happen). When you hold your breathe in RO, the gun doesn't move at all - even when in a standing position, not resting your gun and even if you have already began to experience weapon sway. This doesn't make sense to me. The breathe holding mechanic seems failry spammable to me so easy shots galore is the message.

I'm not flaming TWI, they have done a great job. I'm merely pointing out that what was once difficult to master, is now pretty easy once you learn to accomodate for muzzle velocity and bullet drop.

If you're going to make high-horse comments such as, "Some people are just never happy", then don't bother responding.

Upvote 0
Rab are you playing on realism or relaxed? Maybe they've got more sway in the realism servers, if not I'm sure they'll tweak it if enough complain.

And it is a bit harsh to compare it to COD/BF, it is far, far easier to aim and kill in those games, they're almost arcade like in comparison for the average gamer :)

I said it was almost COD/BF like, which in all honesty it is. I don't think I'm being harsh at all. You can easily hold you're breathe and completely steady your gun. The only thing you then need to account for is muzzle velocity and bullet-drop.

I know it's not exactly like COD or BF, but imo it is closer to both of these, than it is to RO1.

EDIT: I was on a realism server. I can't imagine ever willingly playing on a relaxed realism server.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your criticisms aren't anything big at all, definitely not enough to write off an entire game. The game feels great to me personally and a few tweaks to the Hardcore Realism setting will be enough for me to never go back to RO1.

Spark, I'm not writing off the entire game. I never said that.

I'm on the fence and will be giving it more time. It could well be a settling in period.

However, this will not change the fact (whether I grow to love it or not) that from this moment on, hitting the target has never been easier. I just wish it were more difficult, but I'm not willing to gimp myself in order to do it.

Upvote 0
Spark, I'm not writing off the entire game. I never said that.

I'm on the fence and will be giving it more time. It could well be a settling in period.

However, this will not change the fact (whether I grow to love it or not) that from this moment on, hitting the target has never been easier. I just wish it were more difficult, but I'm not willing to gimp myself in order to do it.
I was actually responding to the topic creator. You bring up an interesting point that should be taken into consideration by the developers for the Hardcore Realism mode.

Upvote 0
I was actually responding to the topic creator. You bring up an interesting point that should be taken into consideration by the developers for the Hardcore Realism mode.

Ah, sorry.

It's definitely a tricky one for the devs. I understand the argument for zoom, but as I've said before, all factors combined - hitting the target imo is too easy.

Upvote 0
Well it wasn't anything I expected it to be I hoped from the screenshots that Tripwire wouldn't ruin RO2, after all they made RO1.

How could they stuff it up?

Simply
The the weapon zooms etc are silly, and shouldn't be an option it should just be off... Same with FOV why make it changeable just make it good to what is the most realistic. I first set it to 90 and I could see through walls.

I can run through my team mates.

I think everyone just wanted new graphics, new maps, and RO1 gameplay with a few good additional features. I honestly just want to play RO1 now and wait for the Real RO2 Mod. The full version better be nothing like the Beta, if not delay this game please!

I agree in full. This doesn't feel like RO in any way, shape or form.

The rounds are way too short, a good RO1 game would easily last an hour without having to "swap sides" and what not. Tanks feel like they are toy cars and using the mouse to aim ruins it furthermore.

Something isn't quite right about RO2 in it's current state, apart from it being a beta.

I'm thinking about cancelling my deluxe preorder and maybe pick it up in a bargain bin sometime next year when there's hopefully a decent mod out.

That being said I want to give TW the benefit of the doubt and hope that they'll somehow save this from being another generic twitch shooter for kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagemandbagem
Upvote 0
I would say its like RO1 but without this awful stiff feeling player movement. Its like all new shooters, the movement feels smooth and has a flow. The stiffness (dont know if it is the right word) didnt made RO realstic, it just sucked

Gameplay is the same imo.
Go into the open without smoke or cover -> youre dead
Try to take a building with a bolt rifle -> dead
Try to be Rambo -> dead
Not having a good leader -> your team loses
No Teamplay -> your team loses
and so on

I have played only 4 or 5 houres and that is how it feels to this point.

Upvote 0