• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Xbox 360 questions, I need your help!!

xIRiShxBLeNdx

Feb 3, 2010
ok, so i have been recently been saving up and working to buy an xbox 360 elite console and left 4 dead 2. If any of you have an xbox, would you please explain to me some of the best features that the xbox has with it. I currently own a ps3, but most of my friends have the xbox, and i think the xbox exclusives are more multiplayer focussed than ps3 exclusives, such as god of war 3 and uncharted. Plaese reply and thanks for reading!

I'm going to say the ability to play with your friends is obviously a good thing, and depending on how important it is to you what I say next may not matter that much.

But you asked for a cost-benefit analysis, so here goes.

The only Xbox 360 SKU worth paying attention to is the Pro model, which costs $300 American. It comes with a good size hard drive, a headset, and a wireless controller, a pretty good inclusive value.

The real limitation is that it doesn't have wi-fi, so if you have wireless internet, expect to deal with some real pain....the only adapter is made by Microsoft, and it costs $100. If you have wi-fi, I'd suggest against an Xbox 360.

The Xbox 360 has two other major points to consider...the software library and the network.

The software library on the Xbox 360 is very robust. For the current generation of consoles, the Xbox 360 has the most games, with a robust catalog of exclusives relative to other platforms. The limitation is that the Xbox 360 shares a great number of its games with the PC, and more still with the PS3. Given you're on the RO forum, which is a PC exclusive, I'm guessing you have some kind of a gaming PC. Between the Playstation 3 and the PC, there will be very few games for which it will be necessary to have an Xbox 360.

Regarding the network, I will first say that Xbox Live has some of the most robust online service catalogs in the industry. Lots of downloadable movies, TV shows, game demos, etc. Lots of downloadable games to buy.

Next, I would like to talk about how the network operates when you play games. Xbox Live actually requires you to purchase a premium service to even play your games online. This comes in a variety of pay plans, but the only one you're going to want to pay attention to is the $50 per year option. You will be required to pay $50 every year to even play any of your games online on the Xbox 360. Xbox Live integration is supported for every Xbox 360 title, and every game has the exact same core feature set, including achievements, cross game chat/invites, etc. Some games on Xbox Live have dedicated servers, in which case they will be stable, playable, entertaining experiences. Examples include Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Left 4 Dead 2. They are mostly third party titles and are VERY few and far between. There's literally like less than a half-dozen titles on the Xbox 360 with dedicated servers. Every other game, even those published by Microsoft, will operate differently. The network model that Xbox Live uses essentially requires an Xbox 360 user to be the host, which means that he will act as a client and a server simultaneously. This means tremendously bad performance on average. You will experience medium to high latency almost always, and Xbox Live games usually have player counts not exceeding 16 players. Lag will be sporadic, but noticeable more frequent than on dedicated servers. If you've ever played games like Call of Duty 4, Metal Gear Online, or Uncharted 2 on Playstation 3, this is exactly the same thing you can expect with nearly every game on Xbox Live. Alternately, games like Resistance 1 and 2, Killzone 2, and Warhawk on PS3 use the superior hosting method of dedicated servers to deliver their online gaming. Nearly all Xbox 360 games use the same matchmaking and a listen server network model that you find in the PS3 games I mentioned. In my personal opinion, this results in poor network performance and a poor end user experience and there is precisely nothing about this network that should excite somebody who has played games on the Playstation Network or PC platform.

Moreover, consider that they are requiring you to pay $50 annually for an online gaming service either the exact same or inferior to PC or PS3.

The Xbox 360 also has a closed network, which means that there will be no custom maps and no mods. As a result you will be expected to purchase DLC online like map packs and add-ons to expand the life of your software. Playstation 3 has a virtually identical model, but it will be a noticeably inferior system to what you may have experienced on the PC.

My advice is to do some research on exactly what kinds of games you want on the Xbox 360. Make a list of games that you cannot already purchase on an existing platform. Tally up the cost of Xbox Live as well as the system itself. If you have, prospectively, access to enough software on the Xbox 360 that you wouldn't have already to justify the cost, go for it. Otherwise, don't waste your time/money unless your friends mean that much to you :D

Upvote 0
I'm going to say the ability to play with your friends is obviously a good thing, and depending on how important it is to you what I say next may not matter that much.

But you asked for a cost-benefit analysis, so here goes.

The only Xbox 360 SKU worth paying attention to is the Pro model, which costs $300 American. It comes with a good size hard drive, a headset, and a wireless controller, a pretty good inclusive value.

The real limitation is that it doesn't have wi-fi, so if you have wireless internet, expect to deal with some real pain....the only adapter is made by Microsoft, and it costs $100. If you have wi-fi, I'd suggest against an Xbox 360.

The Xbox 360 has two other major points to consider...the software library and the network.

The software library on the Xbox 360 is very robust. For the current generation of consoles, the Xbox 360 has the most games, with a robust catalog of exclusives relative to other platforms. The limitation is that the Xbox 360 shares a great number of its games with the PC, and more still with the PS3. Given you're on the RO forum, which is a PC exclusive, I'm guessing you have some kind of a gaming PC. Between the Playstation 3 and the PC, there will be very few games for which it will be necessary to have an Xbox 360.

Regarding the network, I will first say that Xbox Live has some of the most robust online service catalogs in the industry. Lots of downloadable movies, TV shows, game demos, etc. Lots of downloadable games to buy.

Next, I would like to talk about how the network operates when you play games. Xbox Live actually requires you to purchase a premium service to even play your games online. This comes in a variety of pay plans, but the only one you're going to want to pay attention to is the $50 per year option. You will be required to pay $50 every year to even play any of your games online on the Xbox 360. Xbox Live integration is supported for every Xbox 360 title, and every game has the exact same core feature set, including achievements, cross game chat/invites, etc. Some games on Xbox Live have dedicated servers, in which case they will be stable, playable, entertaining experiences. Examples include Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Left 4 Dead 2. They are mostly third party titles and are VERY few and far between. There's literally like less than a half-dozen titles on the Xbox 360 with dedicated servers. Every other game, even those published by Microsoft, will operate differently. The network model that Xbox Live uses essentially requires an Xbox 360 user to be the host, which means that he will act as a client and a server simultaneously. This means tremendously bad performance on average. You will experience medium to high latency almost always, and Xbox Live games usually have player counts not exceeding 16 players. Lag will be sporadic, but noticeable more frequent than on dedicated servers. If you've ever played games like Call of Duty 4, Metal Gear Online, or Uncharted 2 on Playstation 3, this is exactly the same thing you can expect with nearly every game on Xbox Live. Alternately, games like Resistance 1 and 2, Killzone 2, and Warhawk on PS3 use the superior hosting method of dedicated servers to deliver their online gaming. Nearly all Xbox 360 games use the same matchmaking and a listen server network model that you find in the PS3 games I mentioned. In my personal opinion, this results in poor network performance and a poor end user experience and there is precisely nothing about this network that should excite somebody who has played games on the Playstation Network or PC platform.

Moreover, consider that they are requiring you to pay $50 annually for an online gaming service either the exact same or inferior to PC or PS3.

The Xbox 360 also has a closed network, which means that there will be no custom maps and no mods. As a result you will be expected to purchase DLC online like map packs and add-ons to expand the life of your software. Playstation 3 has a virtually identical model, but it will be a noticeably inferior system to what you may have experienced on the PC.

My advice is to do some research on exactly what kinds of games you want on the Xbox 360. Make a list of games that you cannot already purchase on an existing platform. Tally up the cost of Xbox Live as well as the system itself. If you have, prospectively, access to enough software on the Xbox 360 that you wouldn't have already to justify the cost, go for it. Otherwise, don't waste your time/money unless your friends mean that much to you :D

i have a wired interenet on my ps3 already, so i will just use that if i get an xbox. and this xbox 360 pro you were talking about, is it the same thing as the elite, or a different console.

Upvote 0
The 360 has inferior graphics but a more active online gaming community IMO.

Unfortunately you do need to pay to play online but it's worth it if you have friends who also have Live. As for the Pro, it's basically just like the Elite except it's not black and has a smaller harddrive. Another cool thing that the 360 has, is the indie game channel. You can buy a lot of decent indie games for only like a $1 each if this is available in your region.

Upvote 0
i have a wired interenet on my ps3 already, so i will just use that if i get an xbox. and this xbox 360 pro you were talking about, is it the same thing as the elite, or a different console.

Sorry, I forgot, they actually changed the Pro so that it's called an Elite. Effectively, everything I said about the Pro applies to the currently available Elite. The Pro has been discontinued.

The Elite on the market comes with a 120 gigabyte hard drive, just like the old Elite, except that they axed the HDMI and component cables. It's $300 USD. HDMI cables are easy to get a hold of so this is not an issue. Do NOT buy the Microsoft branded HDMI cables. You should not spend more than $20 USD on HDMI cables.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry, I forgot, they actually changed the Pro so that it's called an Elite. Effectively, everything I said about the Pro applies to the currently available Elite. The Pro has been discontinued.

The Elite on the market comes with a 120 gigabyte hard drive, just like the old Elite, except that they axed the HDMI and component cables. It's $300 USD. HDMI cables are easy to get a hold of so this is not an issue. Do NOT buy the Microsoft branded HDMI cables. You should not spend more than $20 USD on HDMI cables.

yes sir

Upvote 0
this probably isnt what you want to hear but i would either just stick with the PS3 or have neither and just play pc.

why? cause xbox360 is a ****ing joke. anybody who buys that thing when it has an over 50% failure rate is a sucker. then add all the scams like $100 for a wireless adapter (really?!) and having to pay for xbox live and your basically paying to get raped in the butt.

ps3 is a better choice all around providing you dont care about halo, the 360's arguably better controller, and the fact that all your friends have 360 (i know the third part is a big one). it took years but the exclusives are much better than 360 by now. you get free online service. you get a system that isnt a complete piece of ****. you get wireless out of the box. and you get a system that is capable of more advanced games because of its power.

still, PC owns both of them (maybe not in the dark days from 2006 - 2009 but better games are starting to filter out now). pc gives you mods, indie games, more adult minded games with more complexity, better controls, cheaper games, the ability to download all your games instead of keeping track of discs (if you like Steam etc.), better graphics, better communication with players, more software to suite your gaming needs, and the ability to tweak.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
excuse me sir, but it seems that you are implying that i have no life. I do actually have a life. I do have many friends, i am athletic, and i ocassionaly play video games in my free time. I do not sit around in the basement playing video games.:D

No.
It simply was a joke about PC gaming and it's typical stereotypes.
I.E: I was suggesting you should dump those crappy consoles and play real games. On a PC.

Upvote 0
machoman1.jpg

This man games on PC. So should you.

Upvote 0