• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design KF-Tao Beta Release

-KF-TAO BETA 1.0 DOWNLOAD-
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K51IFD7Thttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=K51IFD7T

DEVELOPMENT STATUS: ~85%
- Bathroom door opens past surface
- 2 out of 3 Trader locations complete
- Interiors need furnishing
- 1 door missing
- Inaccessible doors need indication of being inoperable

Alright, I can't seem to find my original thread, but no matter. At least now I have something to show for all my hard work, and after so much lack of sleep I don't really care to go digging for a thread.

Annnnnnyway...

KF-Tao was a map for the mod version of Killing Floor, created by Kyben (the original author of KF-Prison, which Alex ported a few days back). KF-Tao was a map that really stood out to me in the mod version of the game, and I just had to see it revamped for the retail version. :p

This is my first time working in any video-game based SDK. I basically sat myself down and started applying tutorials I found on the web into what I wanted the final outcome of the map to resemble.

A major problem was, this entire map needed to be retextured. Every building, every street, every little surface needed to be covered. Beyond that, I wanted to include elements that the original map never contained, such as weldable doors and enterable buildings. I also rethought the entire specimen pathing and placement, to the point that, while other specimen will pound on the welded catwalk doors, the Crawlers exclusively will leap the gap just to pursue you (terrifying if you aren't ready for it, haha).

Along with that, the original map used blocking volumes to keep players from straying too far. It seemed rather ridiculous with invisible walls and such, so I caused some... erm... car accidents?

Anyway, some screenies for your enjoyment:

screen14.jpg

screen13.jpg

screen12.jpg

screen10.jpg

screen3.jpg

screen4.jpg

screen5.jpg

What else? The combat music is a shameless plug for my internet-collab group, StellarSkies (www.purevolume.com/stellarskies). ;)

Anyway, hope you all enjoy it. If you find any errors or the like, post 'em here (hopefully there aren't any, but I know there will be).

Last edited:
Hazard: I definitely get what you're saying. I have yet to go all out with the static meshes, and once I get my second wind, I'll be doing everything from street lights to sewer caps, right down to windows on the buildings. It's all just a matter of time.

I also need to come up with a few more creative specimen spawn locations (some that surprise the player, rather than just having them trickle into the map from every corner).

Bravo: Thanks man, hope you enjoy it. :)

----

On another note, today my friends and I played this map just to see if we could find any kinks. On Wave 10 we got cornered by FP's and lost. On Normal mode. It feels very strange to lose at a map you had a hand in creating. :p

Upvote 0