• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Finland school gunman kills nine

DraKon2k

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Vienna, Austria
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7630969.stm

****ing unbelievable :mad:

just because some son of a ..... with no life and no friends is a damn psycho he kills 9 other students. I mean wtf if he's such a retard he may just commit suicide but NOT KILL 9 OTHER STUDENTS. Bah just imagine you're on of those 9 students' parents and you have to hear your son/daughter was shot by this psycho freak.

He then shot himself in the head but actually didn't die :/ I say if he survives imprison him for life in a single-cell, since death sentence isnt available in finland.

Thats NOT funny murphy...

This is really sad, and why does this keep happening in Finland of all places? Its pretty damn shocking to us fellow Scandinavians, until you read that Finland has the "3rd highest gun ownership rate" after the US and ... Yemen, according to the BBC. I wasn't even aware of that, and apparently they're not all hunting rifles :(

Wake up Finns, change your laws! :mad:
(will probably get locked soon anyway...)

Upvote 0
Yeah, this is sad and it's ****ing unbelievable how this gun ownership works in here :mad:

And yes I have to admit that I just checked the news and was like " no, not again" and then I found this little news topic where it said that police had interigated the shooter last friday, because he had made a video of himself shooting a gun and released it on youtube. The chief of police said they had no real proof of him being a freak who is going to use the weapon for a school massacre, but this is the reality and what really happened... way to go... I'm scared of going to school myself, after the first school shooting here in Finland teachers asked us in our school if there are students in our school who are depressed and might do the same thing. And to be honest I believe there's one guy in our school who has the same symptoms as Auvinen had.

Sry for the typos, I wrote this in a hurry because I'm so pissed off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A couple of years ago some kid in Belgium started to shoot random people in Antwerp, gun laws were changed immediatly. Now people get stabbed here but it's still an improvement.

Biggest difference; you can run from a knife but not from a bullet.

But anyway keep politics at an extreamly low level or you all know what will happen with the thread.

This is a tragic event, like all events of this kind no matter where in the world.

Upvote 0
Thats NOT funny murphy...
I'm sorry.
I've grown desensitized over this matter over the years and I feel more annoyed about the inevitably ensueing discussion about the causes between self-proclaimed experts who seem to have no insight into the life of the perpetrator or the subject they blame it all on (rock music, videogames, ...) than I feel compassion for the wounded, the families who suffered losses, or the shooter.

You might think it's unfair that I do not mourn the losses because in my eyes it was "just another school shooting", but let me say that it is unfair to every other crime victim who is NOT mourned because they were NOT shot in school. They don't deserve any less mourning or compassion but they are getting less because no one cares about ordinary crimes.

Let's face it: If 9 kids had died in a bus accident we would not have a topic about it here but their deaths would be just as horrible and just as senseless as the deaths of those who where shot in Finland. This leads me to believe that this isn't really about the victims but about the environment of the crime. Why did it happen? Why did it happen where it happened? Could it have been prevented?
And we had the exact same discussions over the last few school shootings.

I will participate in this one as well, as in the next one and the one after that, but with each one I will care less because I know it's all just hollow talk to gather some more votes.

I did not mean to offend anybody with my cynical remark at the expense of the shooter though and I specifically did not mean to offend those who suffered from this crime, either directly (losses in the familiy, wounds) or indirectly (scared to go to school, etc.).

Upvote 0
No civilian should have the right to carry fire-arms PERIOD! Its not just about murders, its also about accidental deaths and suicides! Remove the weapon and those deaths WOULD NOT HAVE OCCURED!

Killers arent always psychos. It could be yourself or a family member!

Especially in a (relatively) peaceful country like Finland of all places! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No civilian should have the right to carry fire-arms PERIOD! Its not just about murders, its also about accidental deaths and suicides! Remove the weapon and those deaths WOULD NOT HAVE OCCURED!

Disclaimer: I'm an American and I own several rifles.

Keep in mind in a Finland, a very significant portion of the populace goes on to become military reservists; and I think it's ingrained in the Finnish culture to maintain a militia.
Limiting firearms to 'only Civilians' in Finland would probably only take a few guns off the street. Esp in a nation that strikes me as paranoid against Russian Invasion (and not unwarranted either mind you, based on historical accounts).

There's numerous factors that play into shooting incidents, including but not limited to:
- State of mind of the firearm user (being it a Drunk Guy cleaning his rifle, or a kid that got picked on to much and snaps)
- Availability and security of firearms
- Training and Education (more a factor in accidental shootings)

Although I am a US Firearm Owner; I do realize that it's less likely to harm a greater quantity of persons with something not a firearm. Therefore I do recognize that imposing stricter gun-control may create a good chance of reducing the number of extraneous causalities in firearm incidents.
I also believe that proper education and media portray of firearms stands the same chance.
[IE: if all the 'gangsta' movies started using knives and icepicks again; you might see a higher rate of assaults with said weapons]

However;
I will argue that if someone really wants to kill someone; it's nearly impossible to stop them. A pencil can be deadly. That said, if the kid's dad worked in a mine, would the kid have pilfered some dynamite? Who's to say.
Unfortunately the same can be said with suicide, and I know it's a touchy subject since more then a handful of well known and respected RO formers have passed on in that manner. But again, if someone really wants to off themselves, they can just as easily OD on pills or slit their wrists, or if they are really-motivated, step in front of a subway train or jump from a building. Sad I know.

---
All of that said and done; it is very unfortunate that the event happened. My condolences to the families.

Upvote 0
Guns don't kill people, that's true, If some kid goes nuts he will harm people no matter what
but if there are no guns available "mass murders" like this will not happen.
If the guy had a knive he probably would have killed or injured, but I think it is easier to stop a guy with a knife then a guy with one (or more) guns. at least you would have a better chance

I don't think I would ever feel safe in a country where everybody has the "right" to have a gun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But again, if someone really wants to off themselves, they can just as easily OD on pills or slit their wrists, or if they are really-motivated, step in front of a subway train or jump from a building. Sad I know.

Great post Drax. But may I say one more thing about the whole suicide thing!

I strongly believe that individuals who wish to harm themselves (with a firearm) are too weak minded to chose a 'harder' way out. A gun makes it all too simple!

They will otherwise seek help and find the counselling they need. In the UK, people who eventually kill themselves are usually diagnosed as being manic depressant. In other gun liberal countries it always seems to 'come out of now-where' ie they snapped and they killed (themselves)!

No diagnosis, no nothing. Just shock!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Throwing yourself in front of a subway train is really the worst because it's not only the train driver and all the people on the station being shocked for their lives(you ahve to imagine what happens to the body) but also just a cheap and coward way. If someone is so sure he wants do commit suicide then not on costs of somebody else. Or not be a ****ing pussy and seek a doctor.

Upvote 0