• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What is the role of the gunslinger?

Looks to be aggressive, self-focused, and mobility-based (No defensive skills, no team bonuses, and speed boost/level 5 skills).

I think it'll be in between Commando and Sharpshooter as far as damage per shot, number of shots, and ideal target size goes.

Depending on how the weapons work, the Gunslinger could have other unique traits, such as being able to carry more of his weapons.

Upvote 0
To be fair I don't see any roles the old perks didn't fit, so I don't truly see how the new perks will really change anything (well, the martial artist is more melee-based and the SWAT seems like he revolves around SMGs... So what's truly the use of the gunslinger? I guess time will tell if he's more than a close-range sharpshooter!............but that's exactly why he's the perk I'm the least thrilled by)

Upvote 0
Sorry for being off-topic, but what are all the people talking stuff about the SWAT on about? I believe I followed KF2 since launch pretty well, and I have never seen a single confirmed fact about it other than it's name. So what do you mean "SWAT seems to specialize in smgs"? We don't know anything about it yet.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I definitely think Gunslinger will be great against both FPs and Scrakes, especially if you take that consecutive-headshot-bonus skill and have reliable aim to use it...

Also consider their grenade. It shoots nails, and from the short video example we've seen, it sprays a very dense concentration of them in an upwards cone.

That says to me that it will primarily do Piercing damage more than explosive, which will make it lethal on the FP and more effective than most 'nades on the Scrake, especially if you can get one to detonate right under either zed's feet.

Actually, I can't really imagine what this perk's weakness will be. Long-distance precision?

Upvote 0
Sorry for being off-topic, but what are all the people talking stuff about the SWAT on about? I believe I followed KF2 since launch pretty well, and I have never seen a single confirmed fact about it other than it's name. So what do you mean "SWAT seems to specialize in smgs"? We don't know anything about it yet.

Character voice lines

There's even lines about zeds getting frozen

Upvote 0
Actually, I can't really imagine what this perk's weakness will be. Long-distance precision?

No, ammo count. Most of the guns have to reload in 6-9 shots, taking two guns is a way to combat the ammo but you still only have around 16-20 shots. That's why there's yet another skill to let you quick switch between pairs of pistols, so you can unload all your guns rapidly, then retreat and reload. Like a hit and run Commando.

Upvote 0
No, ammo count. Most of the guns have to reload in 6-9 shots, taking two guns is a way to combat the ammo but you still only have around 16-20 shots. That's why there's yet another skill to let you quick switch between pairs of pistols, so you can unload all your guns rapidly, then retreat and reload. Like a hit and run Commando.

Another element and potential weakness to consider is the double-edged sword involved in going double on GS perk weapons. While it increases the fire rate, clip size and lowers the amount of times you have to reload while going through your entire ammo capacity, it will cost you more dosh and add to your inventory weight.

Of course, we don't know for certain the exact weight and cost of the Gunslinger weapons yet in singles or doubles, but let's randomly assume that the Zed Collector trumps the SCAR for being the lightest tier 4 weapon yet at 5 kg. Wielding dual Zed Collectors is going to set you back by 3000 dosh or just under that and also weigh 10 kg, and you'll either get a small increase in total ammo or none at all. You'll also only have 5 kg of space remaining to experiment with, which is probably enough for just one more GS perk weapon and/or double pistols or an off-perk choice.

So going double is great for extra performance but not so great for your ammo, economy and inventory. Pending the individual weight of each GS weapon, going single would not be as exciting but it will likely mean more gun variety, more ammo and some spare dosh to afford them. If the tier 4 revolver is strong enough, I'm tempted to experiment with either all-singles or go single Zed Collector with double Colts or Deagles for backup and mowing down trash.

Upvote 0
It's a division of the old Sharpshooter into two more defined classes. Now people won't flip out if a Sharpshooter isn't only using crossbow & hand cannons as backup (because he won't have handcannons & the other dualies - they now belong to Gunslinger). I think Sharpshooter will go almost all rifles in KF2.

How the Gun Slinger's nail grenade differs from support's fragmentation grenade I find hard to decipher.

I wonder how Gunslinger will earnn it's bonus exp? Consecutive headshots? Scrake kills?

Upvote 0
Our current thinking is that the gunslinger is the more mobile and nimble of the two head shooters, while the sharpshooter is the more powerful and stable of the two.

The nail bomb bounces nails EVERYWHERE! The video I showed had default explosion power on it which is likely to be modified (hurrah first implementation!).

Upvote 0
There are no roles in kf
What? of course there are.

I'd say gunslinger's role will be similar to what support currently does, which is trash collecting (along with most other classes) and stumbling larger zeds. If that perk that knockdowns on leg shot works on fleshpound, gunslinger will fit this roll rather nicely.

Other classes have obvious roles too:
Stumble + medium dps:
- Firebug
- Support
- Berserker
Healing/Supporting
- Medic
- Support (kinda just because of the ammo; hopefully it'll get some more supporty stuff later)
Straight Dps
- Commando
- Gunslinger (on headshots)
Large Zed exterminator
- Gunslinger? gotta see how well that stacking bonus damage on headshots works
- Sharpshooter
- Demoman
Crowd Control
- Firebug
- Demoman

I wish there was more in the supporting role and I'm waiting for large zed killers to come out. Demo can't really kill large zeds that it's supposed to efficiently right now so it might as well not be out... and sharpshooter is just an old favorite. Make the shots and it dies, no matter how big it is.

SWAT will probably have some kind of supporting; I hope it has flashbangs as its grenade that work on people too if they look at them; I'm a bit fan of team coordinated things like that. It'd be nice to maybe have a post release class or 2 too; I'd really like there to be a class that has very low damage but very supporty. I've made some suggestions elsewhere for an electric class that would fit this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The nail bomb bounces nails EVERYWHERE! The video I showed had default explosion power on it which is likely to be modified (hurrah first implementation!).

So the final product could be a nail tsunami? Won't lie, that sounds like that would be epic.

Is there plans to make kills with nail based weapons pin dead bodies to the walls or ceiling?

Upvote 0

Well that makes it sound much more interesting all of a sudden!:p I can already picture myself sending a hail of bouncing nails upstairs on bioloab to clear one of those nasty "all zeds clumped up in one huge ball of death" situations.

I'm really curious and can't wait to see how you guys are going to fit "more stable and powerful" into the game's pace and balance though. Slow/weak burning dot effects and demo's surprisingly low direct hit damage didn't really hit the spot in my opinion!

Upvote 0
Our current thinking is that the gunslinger is the more mobile and nimble of the two head shooters, while the sharpshooter is the more powerful and stable of the two.

Since you mentioned that GS is more nimble, will TWI take a look at the issue that a lot of people have with bullet speed in ZEDtime? Standing still you can miss a clot that takes a single step because bullets are so slow. If I'm running in ZEDtime and firing away, something has to give with how slow bullets move imho.

Also, while I'm asking, Trader voice not being affected during Zedtime: Will this ever go back to how it was pre-patch?

Last edited:
Upvote 0