• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server How do I run a second server?

Nocturnal7x

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Currently running one server, but it fills up and me and my buddies can't get in. Thinking of mitigating this by starting a second.

Is there an easy way to do this? Can I just start up another one specifying different ports when launching it in command line?

I just wonder if that changes values set in the ini essentially killing the first. IDK I have no idea what Im talking about.

Thanks!

The only thing you need to host a second server is to use separate configs and ports pretty easy to do actually. This is what I use to start mine one .bat file for each start line.
Code:
start .\Server\KF2\Binaries\Win64\KFServer.exe KF-BioticsLab?AdminName=XXX?AdminPassword=XXX -Port=7777 -QueryPort=27015 -WebAdminPort=8080 -ConfigSubDir="KF2Server #1"
start .\Server\KF2\Binaries\Win64\KFServer.exe KF-BioticsLab?AdminName=XXX?AdminPassword=XXX -Port=7779 -QueryPort=27016 -WebAdminPort=8081 -ConfigSubDir="KF2Server #2"
"ConfigSubDir=" Creates and reads settings from a sub directory under ./KFGame/Config which allows you to configure .INI settings on a per server basis.

Upvote 0
I found it easiest to create the instances (bear in mind multiadmin doesn't just copy to the new one, for what ever reason) and then once its created them just slap the port(s) in, the -port=XXXX is useful for first instance, if you dont want to hunt around in ini's, but as has been said, it doesn't beat putting it in the ini's

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok got two working. Ive had an issue where I have to join from LAN, the game won't let me join from the server browser. But now with two servers only one shows up on lan.

They both show up in the server browser for everyone but I can't join both as for some reason I can't join from the server browser.

Any way to remedy this? Either make them both show up in LAN or fix it so I can join via main browser? I'm guessing that's a bug though.

Upvote 0
Ok got two working. Ive had an issue where I have to join from LAN, the game won't let me join from the server browser. But now with two servers only one shows up on lan.

They both show up in the server browser for everyone but I can't join both as for some reason I can't join from the server browser.

Any way to remedy this? Either make them both show up in LAN or fix it so I can join via main browser? I'm guessing that's a bug though.

That's not a bug, that's how it's supposed to be.

I know it's confusing, I was confused by this 'bug' too when I started my own server.

But think of it like this: if you are joining your own server, you are joining on a local network (because the server and the client are running on the same machine), hence 'LAN'.

Upvote 0
But think of it like this: if you are joining your own server, you are joining on a local network (because the server and the client are running on the same machine), hence 'LAN'.
That didn't make sense, Local and Internet use the same system of IP:port, although I know what you mean, it only recognizes different machines, not different ports.

OP: Its annoying, luckily mine are X's so I just filter the internet results by <50ms, no custom, no pass and descending order, or you can just "open 127.0.0.1:7777" or what ever in the console.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't exactly know what you guys are talking about but I run 2 servers on my LAN and both show up in the LAN tab without any problem.

Server #1: Local IP=10.0.0.10:7777, QueryPort=27015
Server #2: Local IP=10.0.0.10:7779, QueryPort=27016

I did notice PeerPort=7778 so I jumped over it even if it has no use.

Upvote 0
PeerPort is just +1 on your normal port, similar to how the 27015 is for 7777 and 7787 is 27025, 666 is 19904. So you'll be using 7778 and 7780 and your automatic QueryPorts would of been 27015 and 27017
I know that if you change port 7777 the QueryPort will jump the same amount unless you manually set it.

I was just wondering if PeerPort was even used or if it is an extra port that was left over because I see a lot of ports in the config that are not used.

Upvote 0