• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Burst and Sustained DPS

Nanostrike

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2009
I got bored between classes with my laptop, some KF damage files, and a laptop...so I figured I'd check the DPS of everything. All of this is based on Rank 6 perks using their chosen weapons with all bonuses, including clip-size increases, reload speed increases, and damage increases (And in Zerker's case, attack speed increases).

It's based on Average Damage ((Min+Max)/2), keeping decimals. However, I rounded the DPS at a .5 or higher up, and everything at .4 or less down for simplicity. I'll attach my numbers and calculations in a text file in case anyone's inclined to look. Anyway, the numbers might surprise you compared to what the raw DPS are...

First up is burst DPS. This is the damage per second of a full-clip's worth of ammo. For the Zerker, I did the total damage per 4 seconds of sustained attack, as most guns (M14/AA14/SCAR) empty their clips in ~4 seconds.

AA12 = 1200. 4800 total damage per clip.
M-14 = 954. 3340 total damage per clip. However...
-If they're all headshots = 2865. 10320 total damage per clip. Really.
-If even 1/2 are headshots = 1908. 6880 total damage per clip.
SCAR = 1250. 3000 total damage per clip.

Katana = 683, if clicking at maximum speed (Once per .45 second). 2730 total damage.
NOTE: For maximum damage with the katana, you must be clicking at least 2 times per second. Seriously. Spamclicking indeed!
-If attacking at 1/2 the max rate = 357. 1365 total damage. Gotta spam or damage drops...

Flamethrower = 274. 3072 damage per clip.
M-32 = 1697! 3360 damage per clip. Some serious burst damage!

And for reference:
Hand Grenade = 250
Pipe Bomb = 1500

Attachments

• DPSCalc.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 0
Next up: Sustained DPS'. It's basically your DPS after a full clip and a reload. These are factoring in ALL increased clip sizes, damage increases, and reload speed increases (Or in Zerker's case, attack speed increase).

Overall, expect to see a big drop...although some weapons are hit harder than others (I'm lookin' at you, M-32). Note that the Katana doesn't take a hit here as it has no reload time. Most, on average, drop by about 1/2. However, reload speed bonuses DO have quite an effect. Just look at the M-14.

AA12 = 672 (About halved. No reload speed bonuses here...)
M-14 = 710! (Only a drop of ~230. 60% reload reduction makes a difference...see why spam works so well...?)
-IF HEADSHOTS = 2130!
-IF 50% HEADSHOTS = 1420!
SCAR = 691 (SCAR has a LONG reload, but the 35% reload reduction keeps it steady at about half)
Katana = 683 if clicking at maximum speed (Once per .45 second).
-If attacking at 1/2 the max rate = 357
Flamethrower = 239 (60% reload reduction helps keep the sustained DPS high)
M-32 = 285 Reload times are a killer for it's sustained DPS!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Basically, what you can see here is that it looks like Tripwire balanced out the raw DPS pretty well, even for the Katana. However, it doesn't take into account special conditions. For example:

-Obviously, headshots. And it tips the balance. I only factored it in for Sharpshooters, but basically, if you're getting headshots, add roughly 10% to your DPS...plus the huge chunk of damage a decap does if/when you get one (I can't account for that...)

• The M-14/Lever Action does 2x damage on these by itself.
  • Crossbow does (I believe) 8x
  • All other weapons do 10% more (Even nade launchers).
  • Flamethrower and, I believe, at least, melee weapons get no bonus (But can still decap).
  • Flamethrower can't get them at all.
  • Sharpshooters do another additional 50% extra damage at rank 6.
-Multitarget Attacking. Thus many listed weapons could be doing their listed damage many times over.

• All shotguns (Including the AA12), can do huge damage to targets in a line.
  • Though not listed, the Crossbow has limitless penetration, but does less damage for each target penetrated.
  • The Flamethrower does something similar, but onto targets at the sides as well. I suspect that it's DPS was lower to compensate for this, but...well, it didn't work out well. Sucky damage is sucky damage.
  • Grenade Launchers, obviously, do almost full damage to about anything in their effect. So you could potentially be multiplying their damage by a dozen...
-Range. Some weapons are good at about any range (SCAR, M-14), but many aren't...

• All shotguns DPS drops to pretty much nothing beyond a dozen yards or so.
  • The biggest one to note is the Katana, which requires you to be at point-blank to even hit with.
-Damage over time. Didn't have any data on this, so I didn't take it into account...

• Flamethrower's your only real one here. Again, I suspect lowered DPS to compensate for damage-over-time. And again...it didn't work out too well...

So, overall, though the DPS' are pretty balanced, some are obviously weaker due to other factors. The Flamethrower, due to sheer damage weakness and reliance on it's area-damage and damage-over-time effects, is pretty sad. And the Katana though it has the advantage of a solid sustained DPS comes out a step underpowered, limited to a single-target attack within dangerous reach of the enemy and (Seriously) is reliant on click-spamming to reach it's full damage potential or even keep a sustained DPS.

While some, like M-14 headshot machine and the SCAR are obviously a step above with their high damage, great accuracy, and big ammo stockpile.

Others are really powerful but balanced. The AA-12, as stated, can hit multiple targets, but is useless at real range. And...well though it's powerful, just take a look at the M-32's sustained DPS!

EDIT: Sorry in advance for the multi-post. I'm trying to keep a "Wall of text" from happening.

Upvote 0
I recall making headshots with it before.

I could be wrong, but as far as I know, it can't decap. Either way, it's damage is so low (Seriously, around 19 per hit for a Level 6 Firebug) that you're not gonna be decapping much. The freaking 9mm pistol does around 35 per hit and even it has trouble decapping from time to time...

I guess I can toss out the average damage-per-hit as well here...again, for Level 6's...

AA12 = 240
M14 = 172
-Headshot = 516!
SCAR = 120
Katana = 325
Flamethrower = 19
M-32 = 560

Rate of fire will affect these. For example, the SCAR and AA12 can hit literally 3 times in the time the Katana can hit once, and the Flamethrower hits about 10 times per second. Still, it's got, by far, the weakest damage.

Also, I didn't factor in enemy resistances. That sick 1700 DPS on the M-32 drops down to ~850 on Scrakes, who shrug off a full 1/2 of it...just like FPs shrug off 1/2 or the damage from the SCAR and M-14 and a large portion of it from the AA12. Everything takes full fire damage, but still...

Upvote 0
According to the wiki, crossbow headshots have a damage multiplier of 6. It was always my understanding that the target penetration with it was limited (effectively) to 6 targets. A commando would be able to see health drop on a 7th target if this wasn't the case. Although the projectile might still "go through" them all to embed itself in a wall, I can't find anywhere to confirm whether a 7+ shot will actually do that. And for reference, since I can't find the damage reduction due topenetration spelled out, empirically, a level 6 SS on suicidal 6 man doesn't do enough damage to headshot a 5th clot. So it's fairly severe. I have a feeling the crossbow is still a contender for highest dps of all weapons assuming chain headshots.

It's possible the crossbow is doing damage less than 1hp to 7th+ targets, and it's also possible that 5+ clot decaps are possible at certain squad sizes.

Here's a question though: Do individual shotgun pellets do individual headshot damage, or is a single headshot pellet giving all shotgun damage a 10% bonus? Or is something else going on entirely?

Upvote 0
According to the wiki, crossbow headshots have a damage multiplier of 6. It was always my understanding that the target penetration with it was limited (effectively) to 6 targets. A commando would be able to see health drop on a 7th target if this wasn't the case. Although the projectile might still "go through" them all to embed itself in a wall, I can't find anywhere to confirm whether a 7+ shot will actually do that. And for reference, since I can't find the damage reduction due topenetration spelled out, empirically, a level 6 SS on suicidal 6 man doesn't do enough damage to headshot a 5th clot. So it's fairly severe. I have a feeling the crossbow is still a contender for highest dps of all weapons assuming chain headshots.

It's possible the crossbow is doing damage less than 1hp to 7th+ targets, and it's also possible that 5+ clot decaps are possible at certain squad sizes.

Here's a question though: Do individual shotgun pellets do individual headshot damage, or is a single headshot pellet giving all shotgun damage a 10% bonus? Or is something else going on entirely?

As much as I know crossbow kills EXACTLY 20 clots on suicidal which are standing in a line i found out this on a nice leveling map where theres 400 clots standing on same place and the crossbow kills 20 with a single headshot (KF levelup or somthing)

Upvote 0
As much as I know crossbow kills EXACTLY 20 clots on suicidal which are standing in a line i found out this on a nice leveling map where theres 400 clots standing on same place and the crossbow kills 20 with a single headshot (KF levelup or somthing)

According to the wiki, some specimens' head will be removed on any headshot, so fractional or "0" damage shots could decapitate a specimen. However after the level up patch changes to headshots it's clear that single 9mm, bullpup, various other low damage attacks, no longer automatically removed a specimen's head. It would appear the crossbow can no longer satisfy the damage requirement for decapitations after 4 penetrations in this build of KF.

Edit: On 6man suicidal clots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Individual pellets. So if you shoot from a distance, only a few pellets might hit the head, but at point-blank, it's very possible to have ALL of them hit the head. Personally, I tend to shoot straight-ahead at the chest-level so I can hit things behind my main target...

Personally I think all perks should have a headshot bonus. Regardless of whether you are commando, support or SS, you should get more damage if aiming for the head.

They do. Every headshot does an extra 10% damage. If that damage is more than a certain amount (Officially, it says it's "at least 1/15th of it's health, if the specimen is below half health", but this seems to vary a lot...), it pops a specimen's head clean off. This is harder to do with some. A 9mm shot that OBVIOUSLY doesn't meet the damage requirements can still decap a clot or bloat, for example. Obviously 1 9mm shot isn't gonna do 1/15 of a bloat's health in damage...nor is the bloat anywhere near 1/2 health...

While some specimens have to be under 10% health and take the 1/15th it's health in damage to lose their heads (Sirens, Scrakes) which means they almost always die when decapped.

The effects of this include dropping it's health by a huge amount, having it start bleeding out, making it take extra damage from subsequent hits, and having it outright die after about 5-6 seconds of headlessness regardless of health.

Upvote 0
Individual pellets. So if you shoot from a distance, only a few pellets might hit the head, but at point-blank, it's very possible to have ALL of them hit the head. Personally, I tend to shoot straight-ahead at the chest-level so I can hit things behind my main target...

They do. Every headshot does an extra 10% damage. If that damage is more than a certain amount (Officially, it says it's "at least 1/15th of it's health, if the specimen is below half health", but this seems to vary a lot...), it pops a specimen's head clean off. This is harder to do with some. A 9mm shot that OBVIOUSLY doesn't meet the damage requirements can still decap a clot or bloat, for example. Obviously 1 9mm shot isn't gonna do 1/15 of a bloat's health in damage...nor is the bloat anywhere near 1/2 health...

While some specimens have to be under 10% health and take the 1/15th it's health in damage to lose their heads (Sirens, Scrakes) which means they almost always die when decapped.

The effects of this include dropping it's health by a huge amount, having it start bleeding out, making it take extra damage from subsequent hits, and having it outright die after about 5-6 seconds of headlessness regardless of health.

I appreciate your research. I always admired the mp7... it is better than switching to the syringe in a lot of situations. However its power is really defensive and support fire (shooting crawlers that sneak up behind someone's back) rather than beign solo.

Of course the recoil is bad along with the reload time, but nothing is really stopping you from buying another perk's gun (which a medic should do) or switch to the 9mm when things really get bad.

But the burst damage pleases me.

Upvote 0
I appreciate your research. I always admired the mp7... it is better than switching to the syringe in a lot of situations. However its power is really defensive and support fire (shooting crawlers that sneak up behind someone's back) rather than beign solo.

Of course the recoil is bad along with the reload time, but nothing is really stopping you from buying another perk's gun (which a medic should do) or switch to the 9mm when things really get bad.

But the burst damage pleases me.

I can do some of the DPS for other weapons later. Some that I might do include:

• Handcannon/Dual Handcannons with an L6 Sharpshooter (Reload speed and damage will likely make these DPS powerhouses!)
  • Crossbow in the hands of an L6 medic. Reload speed will make the DPS suck, but we'll see...
  • MP7 in the hands of an L6 Medic. Higher clip size should up the DPS a bit.
  • M-79 in the hands of an L6 Demoman.
Maybe a few more too. Who knows. Depends on how much spare time I get...

Upvote 0