• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sniper Class Suggestions (uniforms ect)

1. There is no real sniper in RO, just a designated marksman. It's a soldier with a scoped rifle. If he can camoflage, then all soldiers should be able to camoflage

2. If you want to make the sniper more like a real sniper (workling alone, camo etc), make it realistic. A spotter that spends 5h to camoflage himself, takes 2h to cross a road, shoots 1 shot from 1 position, then changes positions for 1h, writes a page into a notebook about every shot and the conditions it was taken with.

Upvote 0
This is why we need a better Iron Sight system.

As of now, the sights are always aligned properly, which is quite unfair to long range targets, because the shooter doesn't have to take the time to adjust and align the sights.

That's why we have a lot of the "pop-up" riflemen and snipers, who can simply bring up the iron sights/scope to peek over cover, and toss them onto a target very quickly.

Also, the pivot point for a braced/mounted weapon is not the person's feet, it's the contact point of the weapon itself. So the same principle that the LMG's deploying system uses should also be used when bracing any other weapon.

Some kind of peripheral vision blur should be implemented, because it's impossible for someone's eye to focus on everything that they can see. Perhaps a conditional focus effect that is constantly focused on the centre of the scope, while the other parts that are not at the same distance to the area of focus are blurred slightly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IMO, real men use iron sights and hit targets that the snipers miss. I've got nothing against them, but the fact that you can see farther than I can doesn't make you a better rifleman. Giving the sniper class any more than the aid that sits on top of his weapon would unbalance the game in their favor. And it would only lead to more CS nubs flooding into servers demanding that they get the class.

Scopes in RO could use some of that shrouding you get when moving your aim around quickly though. I remember back in the mod days there was a mutator that added something like that. And I agree it would be nice to be able to use the sights on a scoped rifle, since you would normally be able to anyway. (Not sure about the Kar98 though)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seriously, why do people want the sniper class weakened? There's only one to two sniper class slots per team! It's supposed to be freakin' powerful! :confused: Anyway, the only thing I hate about the sniper class is the person who gets it is the one with the fastest connection, you should earn it by long distance kills or multiple kills without dying as a rifleman. Btw Reise, Mathias Hetzenauer (most succesful German sniper of WW2) used a side mounted scope on his K98.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
About snipers in game.I guess, that already is snipers in game too overpowered(here isn't wind or good blizzard ...or glance of scope...).And two snipers per side on 40+ maps is too many(even one sniper per side on 32 slot map is unbalanced).IMHO.Maybe when in game would be fighting 150 versus 150 men, then one sniper in command would be good....I too think, that in RO isn't "real" sniping.Good example of "real sniping" is three spetznaz-officers killing mission in Operation Flashpoint(maybe someone remember).In multiplayer game is very hard to implementing of mission-based sniping, even in persistent-word-game-WWIIOL.One possible solution -
Special map (something like Steamroller from Americas Army, with WWII milieu),2 versus 2 snipers(playable roles), somewhere beneath on streets opposite bots fight mutually (they are visible and killable, but are not objective to snipers.Objectives is opposing player-snipers, randomly on range crawling enemy connection-soldiers and maybe even some enemy officer, who arrive with automobile to inspection.Is understandable, that such map is very hard to complete....with current RO bots AI that is even unlikely.Again imho.:)

Upvote 0
More sway FTW, because the snipers from the mod had IMO mutch more sway (yeah the mod didnt have the ability to rest your gun, but still....) and when mooving snipers sights you need to allign them. :D In the mod the snipers were IMO harder to use, I know people want the sniper to be a "camp", then "point and click" weapon like in most of the arcade and

Last edited:
Upvote 0
respawn time for the sniper x3 times

respawn time for the sniper x3 times

C'mon, using a sniper rifle on a stationary target IRL is not more difficult than in the game. And snipers have a hard time hitting moving targets. When I am an assault trooper I score much points than when being a sniper. So, I want a better camo for the sniper role.
But the following could be done indeed: make the respawn time for the sniper x3 times of the normal respawn time. So it will be much of an earning for a team to kill an enemy sniper. What do you think of it?

Upvote 0
Snipers were a fact of war & worked to keep heads down & troops unsettled. They do that in this game. It's all about realism imho & if they can cam up then all the more realistic & better for the game. Good idea.
If you don't like being sniped then buy the SIMS or something but don't buy a war game.

Sharpshooters maybe, but real snipers just might sit few hours in stinky swamp in cover in order to wait for some special personel to arrive (E.G. the reason why german officers were NOT allowed to use their 'officer caps' (dunno the correct english term) even near the front, even though that rule was broken sometimes) and shoot him or them.

And by the time they have survived the 'shock' and try to figure out what to do, our 'lil sniper is far far away, possibly just disappeared silently into the night or day and mission complete.

Too bad you can't just implement those in a game like RO. :p

Upvote 0
Well IRL snipers wait and they have to know exactly the wind direction, speed. They dont point and click to shoot at the target, they follow the target and wait for the best shot, not spam away. IRL sniper, that has revelead himself can easily be mowed down by a SMG.

Hate to burst your bubble matey boy but this isn't real life.

Upvote 0
The sharpshooters/snipers/marksmen/guys with scopes are fine the way they are. In my opinion, most people playing scoped rifles are too stationary at the moment (although I appreciate the roleplaying opportunities) and just concentrate on the weapon. For example, on Odessa, the scoped rifle adds far more to the attacking team if used properly. A scoped rifle is a great supporting weapon when attacking both the Tower and especially the HQ Square. This requires that he keeps up with the attack. If he stays back his killzone is too limited. Camo would encourage people to stay put.

Anyway, at the moment the sniper class is almost a game within a game as the scope makes the RO-experience quite different from the other weapons. Adding camo would just strengthen this trend, which I think is a negative aspect.

As a last point, think of the times somebody's complained about getting TK'd for the scoped rifle. Adding camo would make the sniper easier to identify for his teammates when leaving spawn (and would give a handy excuse: "Sorry for the TK, didn't see you behind all that camo").

Upvote 0
I just hate the stuff you get on servers "The sniper is a n00b, he's not doing his job, we're going to lose because of him!"
Seriously, the "sniper" class isn't God, on most maps it's better to have a good mger than "sniper".
It seems that the effectiveness of the marksman is judged by his points, which I find is quite unfair since his is a supporting role, not an objective-taking one, of course most people are going to score higher than him if they're doing what they should be, it's the markman's job to take out priority targets at a distance, not kill everyone on the enemy team seconds after they spawn. "n00b sniper" seems to be the biggest excuse for teams losing atm!
I think markman class is just fine the way it is, even the 2 per side with big servers, we need more really big combined-arms/infantry maps for them to show a real advantage imo. A different uniform would be pretty cool, but that goes for all infantry classes really ;)

I'd like to see the 1.5X optic the germans had, especially on urban maps, I think that would be a little more amusing.

Upvote 0