• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New gamemode: "historical Realism".

New gamemode: "historical Realism".

• Yes very much, hope to see it soon!

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • yes, its sound ok.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • With a few improvements maybe

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Naaaaaah, not my style really....

Votes: 8 19.0%

• Total voters

Teq

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2006
HISTORICAL REALISM GAMEMODE:

The "HRG" is a gamemode where one team has to win against the historical outcome of a battle.
- Instead of the usual ballansed gameplay where both teams are equal in terms of position, manpower, and equipment, the "HRG" represent the ACTUAL position, status, reinforcements and supplies of that battle.

- In some historical battles the enemy had everything in their favour and won the battle.
In "HRG" the team at disadvantage will MOST LIKELY be defeated/die,
BUT IF YOUR TEAM STAY ALIVE LONGER OR WITH LESS LOSSES THAN THE HISTORICAL OUTCOME, YOU WIN!

The team at disadvantage win if:
1) They stay alive longer than the historical time (befor they die)
2) They loose less reinforcement than the historical outcome.
3) They defeat the enemy (as opposed to the historical outcome)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I resently played a Combatmission historical battle where the a small French foreign company legion defended a fort against HORDS of italian and german troops comming from all angles.

The Elite Foreign legion members was low on ammo, tired and cut off from supplies and reinforcements.

They fought for several hours killing around 800 enemies(!!) until they ran out of ammo and got overrun.

IT would be fun to remake this experience.

Ill make a layout of the gameplay here:

ALLIED SUPPLIES:
Manpower: 50 Respawns
Total Muntions: 15.000 units
Equipment (respawns)
x5 MG's
x20 Boltactions
x10 SMG's
x10 Semi autos
x10 Pistols
Grenades (one nade = 15 Muntions)
x3 Fixed MG emplacements
x2 Fixed 60mm Mortars (1 round = 25 Muntions)
-----------------------------------
AXIS SUPPLIES:
Manpower: 100 Respawns
Total muntions: 40.000 units
Equipment (respawns)
x10 MG's
x40 Boltactions
x20 SMG's
x10 AR's
x20 Semi autos
x20 Pistols
Grenades (1 grenade = 15 muntions)
1 portable 50mm mortar (1 round = 20 muntions)
----------------------------------------------------------

NOTE ON SUPPLIES:
* Each time you spawn the soldier is eqiuped a certain ammount of muntions/ammo. IE if you spawn with 320 rounds, it will drain the Total muntion pool by 320.
* If you run dry and resupply you will further drain the total muntions until depleted.
* If the total muntions are depleted, you will spawn without ammo and will have to scavenge ammo from the enemy.

* If you run out of SMG's you will have to pick up your teammates SMG's or scavenge from the enemy.

Last edited:
I think a good custom map could simulate most of this tbh.

Mhm... But I think it will need some coding as well, implementing limited ammo and classes.

Id also like "Group respawn" instead of "timed respawn".

IE 4 Members have to die to respawn.

If only one die, he must wait for 30-40 secs to respawn, but if 4 dies at once, they respawn as a group imidiatly.

Upvote 0
This would be awesome, but would require some additional realism modding to make it fair. (PPSh has to wlrk right, etc.)

Yes exactly :)
In this game mode you dont need to ballance weapons and give them false accuracy, conefire, extreme recoil or anything like this.

If your team has lack of manpower, equipment or muntions, this is they way things are in war.
one of the major tasks in any war is to attack or cut of enemy supply lines.
- In this way, the enemy might have superiour equipment, but without manpower, fuel or muntions, a tiger tank is just some metal junk posing on the battlefield :D

If you play this game mode you have to keep your supplies in mind.
You dont just make a push if you know you are low on ammo.
If you die and respawn you also waste muntions as well as manpower...

This way, your team might have both manpower and equipment, but have to surrender cause of no muntions, which is offcourse very realistic and fun to look at :)
(imagine the enemy surrenders walking with their hands up haha)

Implementing a squad system and morale into this gamemode would also give it an extra kick.

Upvote 0
Your best bet is designing a stacked custom map.

What about the fact that battles don't happen over the course of 30 minutes, or even a day? Some small skirmishing does, sure, but I doubt you're going to find 'The Great Big Book of WWII Skirmish: Now with Reinforcements, Supplylines, and Armament Availability!'.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, and it *is* a good looking idea. But implementing it looks like something that would take entirely too much work for what will boil down to repeated outcomes every map/game. Few battles in history were fair enough for this to be anything more than a total slaughter, especially given that there are only 32 players *total* to represent the forces involved.

Upvote 0
Sounds like a plan.;)

Another game mode, perhaps not entirely realistic, would be to have the objectives actually count for something. :eek:

For instance:
capturing "The Depot" would gain more reinforcmants, Chain of command would send in more troops, to finish off the job.:)

Also, for instance:

Loosing "The town" would mean all the Sub-machine gunners are gone, until you recapture "The Town.":p

This perhaps would not happen in real life, but it would prmote teamwork/teamplay/cooperation.:D

See where I am getting at? I think it's a cool idea...:cool:

Upvote 0
Personally, I don't think this would play much differently than normal RO because your suggestion is pretty the same the game currently is like. A good custom map would be your best bet. Still, nice idea though.

mmm...
* Can you run out of muntions? No.
* Can you run out of weapons and vehicles Ie SMG's and tanks? No.
* Are the weapons fixed to ballanse the game? Yes.
* Are the teams uneven to match reality ie 14 vs 22? No.
* Does one team have a material imballances (ie you have good equipment but lack muntions or tankcrew?) No.
* Does any map exist to simulate such a gameplay? No.
* Does RO have Morale effects (ie Less suppression effect when close to a squadleader)? No.
* Does RO have a squad system, where you create squads with its own Squad Voip etc? No.

So I must say, this game mode will be quite different from what you are used to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
mmm...
* Does one team have a material imballances (ie you have good equipment but lack muntions or tankcrew?) No.
* Does RO have Morale effects (ie Less suppression effect when close to a squadleader)? No.
* Does RO have a squad system, where you create squads with its own Squad Voip etc? No.

So I must say, this game mode will be quite different from what you are used to.
You can set a limit on vehicle respawning and also restrict classes for one side so they can only have set amount of players. Those 2 are possible.

Upvote 0
Teq said:
mmm...

I like how people say LESS GAMEYNESS FOR GOD'S SAKE COME ON THIS GAME IS SO GAMEY.

But at the same time, they're pushing for an "aura of influence" that gives players less suppression effects when near a squad leader.

What?

You can run out of ammo in game. It's quite easy, in fact. Just shoot all of your ammo off.

You can run out of reinforcements, which simulates running out of munitions. Unless you want people respawning without guns, and I'm fairly sure fresh reinforcements weren't sent to battle without weaponry.

The weapons are fixed to balance the game because I'm pretty sure the Russians wouldn't want to deal with a realistically-modeled German MG42 stalking Stalingrad Kessel in the assault stance.

I'd say Konigsplatz is a pretty good map with one team having material imbalances. Two tanks versus one, only one team having artillery, the Germans having less overall reinforcements...

See the above rebuttal.

Morale effects? What the hell is this, an RTS?

A squad system? It's called sticking together and using the local channel. Unless you want "squadmates" to show up on your in-game map, both of which would be (and are) horribly unrealistic.

So, yeah. I guess my conclusion is that most of the people who want a "realistic" RO don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Upvote 0
I like how people say LESS GAMEYNESS FOR GOD'S SAKE COME ON THIS GAME IS SO GAMEY.

But at the same time, they're pushing for an "aura of influence" that gives players less suppression effects when near a squad leader.
What?

Gamey ? :D
In those days, if ur close to a Field HQ or squad leader you will feel connected and safe, IE not as an individual against hords of enemies.
This will influence your morale.
Having high morale you are less likely to experience fear, panic, cluttered thinking and prolonged tunnelvision.
While on the other hand, disconected from your team, you are much more likely to become pinned down or paniced.

(See Combatmission 3 at battlefront.com for more details)

In present RO everyone runs around by them selves, disconnected and rambo like.... If you say this is realitic, I will like you to try this in real life under fire...and send me some footage...
------------------------------
You can run out of ammo in game. It's quite easy, in fact. Just shoot all of your ammo off.
This is not individual ammo, but not the collective ammo for the company.
If you completely run out of ammo but still have manpower you might scavenge from the enemy to avoid depleting your own supplies. if you do run out of supplies you will be slaughtered. (or become POW)
I like this part cause it gives the game another dimmention, where supplies is more important than just running around capping victory locations.
What if you spawn with only 2 clips... Now you will have to think different.
----------

you can run out of reinforcements, which simulates running out of munitions. Unless you want people respawning without guns, and I'm fairly sure fresh reinforcements weren't sent to battle without weaponry.
WHen you are out of SMG's you respawn with more common weapons like bolt actions.
There is mostly allways enough bolt actions.
And if you want other weapons you may scavenge from the dead.
If you run out of tigers, you have to be happy with cheaper tanks.. aso.
this will force players to be careful with the rare and effective equipment and not just waste it by driving into the capzones filled with AT soldiers...

The weapons are fixed to balance the game because I'm pretty sure the Russians wouldn't want to deal with a realistically-modeled German MG42 stalking Stalingrad Kessel in the assault stance.
Yes in fact I would like to experience that....

I'd say Konigsplatz is a pretty good map with one team having material imbalances. Two tanks versus one, only one team having artillery, the Germans having less overall reinforcements...
Yep, its good that way...
As long as it's representing the historical facts, and does not balance too much I am happy.
If you arent , well you are not...

Morale effects? What the hell is this, an RTS?
Morale effects = increased suppression effect when away from teammates.
IE. Cut off from team = 100% suppression blur.
1 teammate at less than 50m = 90% suppression blur
2 teammates at less than 50m = 80% suppression blur.

A system like this will give teams that stay connected some advantage over disconnected units.
Additionally I would like to implement "Group respaws" combined with "time respawns"
so you very seldom spawn alone.

A squad system? It's called sticking together and using the local channel. Unless you want "squadmates" to show up on your in-game map, both of which would be (and are) horribly unrealistic.
A squad system means that you join a squad. Either a tank squad or infantry squad. Team A or Team B.
In this squad you have your own Squad Voip so you dont need to be disturbed by 16 players talking at the Local voip at the same time.
you will also see team tags and Voip icons to illustrate what you would know in real life by recognizing peoples appearances...
in RO all have same face and you can tell the difference, and also its hard to track sound sources in game, so VOIP icon might help to improve teamwork.

So, yeah. I guess my conclusion is that most of the people who want a "realistic" RO don't know what the hell they're talking about.
Sorry but I disagree with you.
RO like its played now, is completely nothing compared to real life.... and feels much like CS or any other game really.
I beleive you have to give people some lack of control and clear visuals for them to understand the meaning of teamwork....
Unless ofcourse you are playing in a clan or squad.

Cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0