• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Zoom Poll

Zoom Poll

• Zoom when Aiming Down Sight only. Similar depth as now. ADS zooms, button controls breathing only

Votes: 41 18.7%
  • Zoom in ADS only. Shorter zoom depth. ADS zooms, button controls breathing only

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • Zoom in ADS only. Similar depth as now. Can zoom further than regular ADS mode and control breath

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • Zoom in ADS only. Shorter zoom depth. Can zoom further than regular ADS mode and control breath

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Zoom any time. Similar depth as now. Zoom further than regular ADS mode and control breath (now)

Votes: 71 32.4%
  • Zoom any time. Shorter zoom depth. Zoom further than regular ADS mode and control breath

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • No zoom at all

Votes: 55 25.1%
  • More zoom

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.7%

• Total voters
If they are trying to replicate focus, how about this. Rather than zooming in on the target down range, the target down range should become just a little more clear (his image sharpened). To put your face a foot a couple of inches closer to your rear sight, and to gain a several foot zoom makes no sense. Focus allows you to see things more clearly, it's not bino vision.

The problem with that, is that no matter how great you think you monitor is, it's still limited on how many pixels there are on you screen.

And those pixels are already trying to display as much of the detail as they can of that character halfway accross the map.... that's why you have people talking about "pixel hunting" in the past. That's not good for your eyes, ya know?

.... unless of course, that character on your screen got bigger in order to utilize more pixels on your screen, that could achieve that detail you speak of.

Oh wait...... ;)

added:

I would also like to point out at this time that ineed, this poll is invalid on the grounds that most have no clue wtf each option means, which is why others chooe not to vote, such as myself.

Seriously, you couldn't think of a way to put the options in a more over-complicated nightmare?

again for us slower folk, what the hell is ADS soldier?

While on shoreleave, someone only partly contracted AIDS, thus their eyeballs pop out of their heads so they can see closer?

Are you trying to be funny soldier?

Cuz I'm not laughing..... AIDS is a serious thing you don't make fun of.

Drop down and give my 500 and pray to your god(s) they don't wisked a Russian with a bayo at your head for such offense towards AIDS.
*tisk tisk*

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh Boy!

Look, if you all new anything about vision you would know that your eyes already have a fixed focal point i.e. there is only a small areas in the middle that’s if focus all the rest gets progressively out of focus the father away from that point you go.

Sit about 1/2 a meter away from your screen and focus on the word below, and you will see what I mean.

Look

Your eyes just focus, your brain makes it look more vivid as you are concentrating on that point THEY DO NOT ZOOM IN!!

Lets say there was no blurring or fuzz at all (like RO1) and there was an enemy in a window in the top right hand corner of your screen, your eyes look at him and he is in focus but is the bottom left hand side if the screen in focus? No!

Monitors are 2d they show a flat picture to try and copy this in game is daft because it just spoils the graphics. Which is exactly what’s happened an unclear fuzzy and blurry picture.

Get rid of the Zoom and blurring effects!

Upvote 0
I would also like to point out at this time that ineed, this poll is invalid on the grounds that most have no clue wtf each option means, which is why others chooe not to vote, such as myself.

I wanted people to think about their choice. I don't really want people to blindly pick "change nothing, game is perfect", but I put each option so people can choose what they want. I even put "now" in there for the way it currently is but could have left that off.

Now if I were to do it again I may do it differently, like

"Zoom in Iron sights mode only"
"Zoom anytime"
"Zoom depending on weapon type, zoom in Iron Sights only"
"Zoom depending on weapon type, zoom at any time"
"No zoom at all"

Something like that

Most people know what ADS means, and I even put Aiming Down Sight in the first option

I think an effort was made to make vision in the game more realistic, but have exchanged what some may think as unrealistic, for something else thats even less realistic imo. I don't have bionic eyes. I don't care if its a monitor, I still can't see things so clearly like i'm zoomed in IRL.

The whole method of pressing a button and zooming in just feels wrong and out of place for RO. If it really felt like I was focussing on a target while unfocussing on other things then that could be possible, but not the full on zoom with everything in focus at will like now

Upvote 0
The vast majority of the time, I only use the zoom to find the enemy at distance and help make sure it is the enemy I'm looking at.

I find it easier most times to track and lead a moving target using the ADS view.

Were the current zoom to be taken out, I think it would have a really detrimental effect on gameplay. I prefer it when the players have a tool that gives them a greater chance of knowing what's going on and where they're being shot at from.

Upvote 0
I'd like to be able to put up the ironsights without any zoom at all, but still be able to zoom in like you can now (by controlling your breathing).

While they're are it, remove the breathing sound when you're not zooming and increase the sway of all weapons slightly in the unzoomed mode. Also the ability to slowly walk while zoomed in, which may introduce the need for another key (having it on the same as sprint always felt rather dumb to me). Either that or have ironsighting overriding sprint in terms of priority (quickly sprinting away can still be achieved by going out of ironsights mode while holding shift).

Upvote 0
Oh Boy!

Look, if you all new anything about vision you would know that your eyes already have a fixed focal point i.e. there is only a small areas in the middle that’s if focus all the rest gets progressively out of focus the father away from that point you go.

Sit about 1/2 a meter away from your screen and focus on the word below, and you will see what I mean.

Look

Your eyes just focus, your brain makes it look more vivid as you are concentrating on that point THEY DO NOT ZOOM IN!!

Ya.... most of us all already know this..... but you can not make things on your monitor suddenly look more "Vivid" than they already are unless you decide to impliment some visual effect that blankets the entire screen with a blur, thus dumbing down the graphics & detail so that the real detail and graphical effects are only seen when you use a focus action..... and to me, that's an even worse idea.

Lets say there was no blurring or fuzz at all (like RO1) and there was an enemy in a window in the top right hand corner of your screen, your eyes look at him and he is in focus but is the bottom left hand side if the screen in focus? No!
Monitors are 2d they show a flat picture to try and copy this in game is daft because it just spoils the graphics. Which is exactly what’s happened an unclear fuzzy and blurry picture.

Keep it.

Oh and in regards to those people talking about how this zoom makes marksmen useless in the game, that's a very gross exaggeration...... the scope brings in far more detail in one area than using the default zoom effect as a rifleman.... plus on top of that, marksmen can "zoom" in even further while scoped, they can aim in more detail.

I tested this last night in SP.

I started off as a rifleman and zoomed in on a specific area while defending, shooting at some germans. One MG continued to take up the same area almost the entire match. Even when zoomed in, I could see him in the distance and could aim at his shoulders or head...... then eventually I was killed and spawned as a marksman. I took up the same position and focused on the same location with the scope. I could see the same MG in the same spot. When I decided to scope him, I couldn't just aim generally at his shoulders or head.... I could place a round anywhere I wanted in his face, his neck, shoulders, hand.... anywhere I pleased..... and then if I zoomed in a bit more via the focus, I had more options to choose from.

Go ahead and test it out for yourselves. Select the Marksman class, switch between the scope & iron sights of the rifle and "Zoom" in with both and you can see quite a difference between both.

I wanted people to think about their choice. I don't really want people to blindly pick "change nothing, game is perfect", but I put each option so people can choose what they want. I even put "now" in there for the way it currently is but could have left that off.

Now if I were to do it again I may do it differently, like

"Zoom in Iron sights mode only"
"Zoom anytime"
"Zoom depending on weapon type, zoom in Iron Sights only"
"Zoom depending on weapon type, zoom at any time"
"No zoom at all"

Something like that

Most people know what ADS means, and I even put Aiming Down Sight in the first option.

Most people know that IS means Iron Sights, but I still spell it out for those who don't..... I personally never used the term ADS, as IS (Iron Sights) is the same thing and to my knowledge, has been used more often and for longer.

Anywho, my personal choice is to leave it just as it is.

I think an effort was made to make vision in the game more realistic, but have exchanged what some may think as unrealistic, for something else thats even less realistic imo. I don't have bionic eyes. I don't care if its a monitor, I still can't see things so clearly like i'm zoomed in IRL.

The whole method of pressing a button and zooming in just feels wrong and out of place for RO. If it really felt like I was focussing on a target while unfocussing on other things then that could be possible, but not the full on zoom with everything in focus at will like now

When I focus on a specific object, I generally gain further details of that object.... you can not do this by looking at a monitor, as the pixels displayed are constantly at the same level of limited detail, thus the only way to accomplish this limitation, you need to make the monitor remove the surrounding details and use its available pixels to produce further details in what you wish to focus on.... thus it looks like you're zooming in..... it is, but it isn't at the same time, since it's only producing the same level of detail and object size that you'd normally see in real life.

Adding some shadow effect around the edges of the screen or blurring around the screen doesn't do anything but make a lame simulation that you're focusing on the same level of pixelated crap in the distance..... thus you don't focus and at the same time, you lose more detail elsewhere on the screen..... which ends up with you being more blind than you were outside of Iron Sights / regular view.

And you think that's more realistic? :confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think marksmen are completely useless with the current zoom vs scope zoom, I just don't understand how zoomed the scope is suppose to be... it just seem unrealistically less.
That being said, I think it's most perfect for the combat at Stalingrad right now! Lots of close combat and all. Would be nice to have an option for a different scope though...

As for this poll, I vote keep it the same, but I vote other just because I want the damned thing separate from the sprint! Too many of their double/triple keys need the option to have them separate. Yeah.... totally know that's now what the poll was about too XD

Upvote 0
Any choice aside from the way it is now, or removing it entirely doesn't make sense. The game is more realistic for having the zoom, but it is also easier. TBH the zoom is waaaaaay at the bottom of my list of things that bother me. I do believe that people who don't like the zoom should be able to run a server with all forms of FoV zoom disabled. There was a time when you could adjust the default FoV zoom when using ADS, but that time has come and passed, and I miss it.

Upvote 0
If they are trying to replicate focus, how about this. Rather than zooming in on the target down range, the target down range should become just a little more clear (his image sharpened). To put your face a foot a couple of inches closer to your rear sight, and to gain a several foot zoom makes no sense. Focus allows you to see things more clearly, it's not bino vision.

They're not trying to replicate focus.

They're trying to compensate for the fact the eyes resolution is many times greater than any computer monitor.

In order to have a field of view that is anywhere near realistic, things have to be much smaller than in real life.

This means attempts at making weapons realistic would fail, since no one would be able to see stuff that rifles can easily hit (i.e. RO1 pixel hunting).

Zoom is a compromise, albeit an imperfect one, at allowing realistic rifles and SMGs to bother be useful.

Upvote 0
Hate the zoom as implemented and wish it was like it was in RO1. No need for an additional button, or to press anything xtra. Not to mention, why bind it to the same friggin' butotn as sprint????!!!!!

I am for slight zoom only when using Iron Sights, other than that it has no place in this game and I don't agree w/ this "focus" nonsense it feels unnatural. (I hate it in Arma too).

Upvote 0
The people arguing there should be no zoom for the sake of realism are mistaken on a very crucial point: The game perspective is not an accurate representation of the human eye in the first place. With a fixed Field of View (say 70 or 90 degrees for the sake of argument) you are actually giving the game a binocular view, if only through the wrong end of the scope (making everything smaller than it would appear to the human eye.

Zooming is not an elegant compromise to this impossible equation, but it is very close to human levels of situational awareness. I honestly think RO2 has succeeded in this regard. While it doesn't look realistic, it gives you a very realistic and responsive control of your avatar.

Without zoom you are pretty much running around with the reversed binoculars bolted on to your face, still limiting your peripheral vision more than natural eye sight AND making it difficult to make out shapes and colours in the distance. It is reasonable to be able to make out the silhouette and heading of a person moving some 100 meters away. With a 70-90 degree field of vision on a computer monitor or a TV screen, you will only see a dozen pixels with nowhere near the level information your eyes and brain can compute for you in the real world.

As with most games, you have very primitive and control of your avatar in every regard. Moving about is very much unlike natural movement. You can not feel the ground and the air from looking at the screen. You can not use audio and peripheral visionary information to understand events happening around you the same way your body does this in real life. Many times, 3rd person perspectives actually come closer to mimicking the level of control a human has over his actions as this perspective gives you more information about your avatars state and position in the virtual world. Digital games using mouse and keyboard with flat screens and limited audio engines and hardware do not even come close to the mechanics of the human body and mind.

So am I saying realism is impossible to achieve? Certainly not, while our input into the game is limited and reality is far from our reach, the game output can give cause for realistic and immersive experiences and emulations. In RO2 we can peek over low cover and survey our surroundings just as one could do in real life, all thanks to the zooming capabilities that alleviates the incredibly limited vision that comes with the tiny images produced on a computer screen. It makes it possible to aim and operate weapons at their intended distances, thus bringing us closer to realistic combat simulation. The ability to have variable field of view for different tasks in the game allows for a level of control closer to what one would expect from a human soldier, ie the vision is zoomed in for purposes of observation and aiming, while zoomed out for the purpose of navigating and understanding your relative positioning in the world.

Some quick notes in regards to portraying reality with 2D mediums:

Virtually all games operate in terms of PHOTO REALISM rather than eye functionality. The limitations are more similar to that of a camera than to the human eye. Go watch a mountain range, snap a photo and tell me the picture gives the same kind of visual information you get from actually watching the scene with your own eyes. Computer games are exactly like photos. Effects like field of depth is photo realistic, in other words it looks like what you would get with a camera lens. When the human eye looks at objects at different distances it tries to focus on your intended object, and in a healthy eye this happens so quickly everything that is of interest to you is always in focus. While it is artistically appealing to make objects close to the player character's head blurred, it makes no sense if you are using your eyes to watch that part of the screen as anywhere you look on the screen would end up being instantly in focus if this was a scene you observed with your naked eye. Ironsights should never have any kind of blur for this reason as when you use them in real life your eye shifts between the front and back components of the sights alternately to collect the visual information needed to operate the weapon.

In the end this game is not about looking at pretty and compelling pictures. It is about emulating combat experiences where you feel like you're an actual soldier excercising all your training and physical aptitude.. I don't want anything to change in RO2 in regards to zoom levels/field of vision, this is as close to being an actual human being in a first person perspective we have ever seen in a game. The only thing I would like to see is the ability to bind a separate key for zooming in the view.

Upvote 0