• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Zoom Poll

Zoom Poll

• Zoom when Aiming Down Sight only. Similar depth as now. ADS zooms, button controls breathing only

Votes: 41 18.7%
  • Zoom in ADS only. Shorter zoom depth. ADS zooms, button controls breathing only

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • Zoom in ADS only. Similar depth as now. Can zoom further than regular ADS mode and control breath

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • Zoom in ADS only. Shorter zoom depth. Can zoom further than regular ADS mode and control breath

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Zoom any time. Similar depth as now. Zoom further than regular ADS mode and control breath (now)

Votes: 71 32.4%
  • Zoom any time. Shorter zoom depth. Zoom further than regular ADS mode and control breath

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • No zoom at all

Votes: 55 25.1%
  • More zoom

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.7%

• Total voters

melipone

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2006
The overall aim is to see what people think of the current implementation of sight focus/zoom with regular weapons, and if it could be improved using currently available methods. I didn't do more options to try to keep it simple while covering most bases (hopefully). Try to vote for the one that matches closest to what you think even if its not exactly worded how you want.

Its not about separating zoom and breathing buttons, I've tried to keep that open in the options.

If they are trying to replicate focus, how about this. Rather than zooming in on the target down range, the target down range should become just a little more clear (his image sharpened). To put your face a foot a couple of inches closer to your rear sight, and to gain a several foot zoom makes no sense. Focus allows you to see things more clearly, it's not bino vision.

Upvote 0
If they are trying to replicate focus, how about this. Rather than zooming in on the target down range, the target down range should become just a little more clear (his image sharpened). To put your face a foot a couple of inches closer to your rear sight, and to gain a several foot zoom makes no sense. Focus allows you to see things more clearly, it's not bino vision.
They are not trying to replicate focus but the fact that stuff on computer screen with large FOV looks much smaller than it does IRL. So when you "zoom" the FOV decreases and stuff becomes normal sized. Look out of your window and see how big a man looks from 100m distance. You notice that without "zoom" in this game man at 100m distance looks much smaller on your computer screen than IRL.

Upvote 0
Polls should never have that many choices. If you took a research methods class in college, you would know why.

By the way, I love the zoom as it is. It's not that different from Arma2 or WWIIONLINE. It turned RO1 from a pixel hunting garbage to RO2 being damn fun and much more realistic feeling experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: nebsif and aop
Upvote 0
I want it:

1. Same zoom as now or more. (because it is not yet beyond the abilities of the human eye).

2. Always accessible regardless of weapon posture. (because it is a natural feature of normal eyesight, nothing to do with weapons).

3. Separate zoom and breathing from the sprint key. (because I have severe problems with being in zoom mode constantly in order to see properly, then when only wishing to slightly adjust my position a bit, my character gets up at great haste, then throws himself into prone, for all to see).

4. Urgent Request: The level of zoom be integrated into all weapons and apply by default when aiming without needing to press any buttons. The sprint key can still double as a 'hold breath' button, for shooting. (because presently I have aches in my left hand from having to hold the shift key for probably 3/4 of every game. It also screws up my shooting, because I can't hold my breath when I really want to. It is already 'exhausted' due being in zoom mode for the purpose of spotting enemies. I also have no need for less FOV than this when shooting weapons. When they get so close that I do, hip-fire is in order anyway).

Upvote 0
My God.. woops I ment :IS2:.. I dont even..
Is it so hard to understand that with zoom people look as big as they you see them IRL and that even if "bino vision", or zooming in and out isnt realistic we cant walk around with perma zoom coz your monitor is too damn small?

I can already see people write articles that healthbox tanks are better for XYZ reasons, that bullet penetration is too realistic/unrealistic or just gets Bob killed too many times and should be removed, or perhaps that weapon resting isnt implemented realisticool enough and should be removed, too.

Upvote 0
Gah I can't stand anymore talk about the freaking zoom. As far as I'm concerned anyone who is still complaining about the zoom is just looking for things to complain about in order to show everyone how hardcore a realism nut they are. (This is not aimed at OP, I know this was meant to be more of a survey) This is made especially absurd by the fact that:

a-this is actually a realistic feature

and b-There are a few ACTUALLY unrealistic features that said realism nuts should be focusing their efforts on instead. (Current implementation of bandaging for instance)

Reactions: Garabaldi
Upvote 0