• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Zhytomir 1941

K98-Schütze[GER]

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2012
As the titles says - its about the legendary Zhytomir map from RO1.
I swear, once I played this map, but since than never again and as I forgot the server name - I think I wont ever again.

Where is it?
Somebody knows how to get it, or which server is playing it?

I am curious and hot on this map :p

It was made by a Russian player and was only ever hosted on one of their servers. The server stayed always full for the 2-3 days it was up, Drecks said he was cool about the guy remaking it (from what I remember). Then it was never seen again.

That map was so fun though, I still have some screenshots of it.

Probably had to be recooked... the death blow to several RO2 maps in the past.

Upvote 0
Sorry im glad this map isnt ported into ro2, it was one of the horribliest maps (overplayed streamlined and boring ) in Ro ost. In ro2 this map would be even worser (with superzoom, super accurate weapons with no recoil, no weapon sway and all those full semi auto weapons).

To each his own.

But I'm glad the RO community can pick the fruits of your contributions.
As soon they arrive I will do a review on them.

Upvote 0
Sorry im glad this map isnt ported into ro2, it was one of the horribliest maps (overplayed streamlined and boring ) in Ro ost. In ro2 this map would be even worser (with superzoom, super accurate weapons with no recoil, no weapon sway and all those full semi auto weapons).

I'm sorry, but this is a terrible statement. Because you don't like it, you are glad it isn't ported. What you are saying is because you don't like it, no one else who has ROHOS should be able to play it? You do realize if ever the map were to come up on a server, you could switch servers?

And then I see in your sig that you support (and I imagine play on servers with) the Immersion Overhaul Mutator? Wouldn't that nulify half of your complaints about the map anyway?

I say if Drecks gave his blessing to the person who was porting it, then everything is fine and dandy :D

Upvote 0
Well, it was indeed much played on RO1, but still it is a great map. As somebody in this thread said he is glad that it isnt there in RO2, I can only say:
I would be very glad to play Zhytomir 1941 in RO2 again. Also I could imagine some extended version of this map, with little more sideways and possible open windows and rooms.

Overplayed now is only in my opionion the same 8,10 maps from RO2.

Zhytomir was great, great in atmosphere with the bright sky, the radio which played this nice russian song and structure of level.

I miss it.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but this is a terrible statement. Because you don't like it, you are glad it isn't ported. What you are saying is because you don't like it, no one else who has ROHOS should be able to play it? You do realize if ever the map were to come up on a server, you could switch servers?

And then I see in your sig that you support (and I imagine play on servers with) the Immersion Overhaul Mutator? Wouldn't that nulify half of your complaints about the map anyway?

I still follow this forum now and than but will only post when I'm involved.

That post was a typical example on all what went wrong in this community and game. All the requests for custom content but in the end they all played stockservers. Cool signatures on about custom maps while I hardly seen these players on the custom map servers. Even the Crucible announced events most of the time where deserted......

About this topic. Funny Zhitomir 1941 already has been ported for RO 2. Guess it was the first Red Orchestra 1941 custom map to be ported for the new game. And now a new discussion to port it again. Not bad for a map that ended 5th place in that contest back than. :cool::cool:

Upvote 0
I wish Drecks wouldn't be so cynical. My experience with Crucible has been quite an education. The OGG events are feast and famine. But when they are good, they are very good indeed. Please don't fall into the notion that custom maps are being ignored. Not by a long shot. I was was a big pusher of custom maps when I was a TaT. Today, things are vastly better. Aside from the OGG events, which are helpful, I am having no trouble keeping Crucible in the top 50 according to GameTracker. Anyone that is sour on custom maps needs to do some research. I run NOTHING but custom maps on Crucible. I have acquired an international following that is with me 24/7. If you have any doubt that custom maps are being followed by the international community, put it away. Custom maps are my job. My only job. This is a long way from two years ago. My server is rarely empty. My dreams for the future have already been satisfied. Play the custom maps You won't be disappointed. I'm not.

Upvote 0
I wish Drecks wouldn't be so cynical.

I don't know what you know about me ?

I have valid reasons to be cynical about certain things. Where do you want me to start.

I played as often as I could during the OGG events. I work in shifts so I can't join always. But when I could I joined. Often we had no more than 20 players.

I played the Crucible during the contest maptest where we had a full server including some TWI "Hotshots". During these testgames I learned enough about the maps. It turned out I seen it wrong once again.

Enough is enough ! Had plenty of ideas but motivation dried....

Last edited:
Upvote 0