• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Zed spawning system

vealck

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
I would like to discuss the zed spawning system in KF2. Can we know something about it at this point?

I guess I'll point out here the main issues that we have in KF1 to make sure they are being addressed in the coming sequel.

Line of sight check

Well, let's face it, spawning system in KF1 is just utterly broken. Zeds appear in places that they should not be able to reach, for example in a closed room/corridor without any entry points or right behind the corner you were looking just the second ago. Upon rapid turns, you can actually see them appearing mid-air out of nowhere two meters behind you. Simple line of sight check just doesn't cut it, as even crouching behind a barrel or a mailbox enables zeds to be spawned just on the other side of it.

I understand that spawns happening outside of the main spawn areas (and by main spawn areas I mean behind barricades or in places that players cannot see / access directly) are supposed to add more fluidity and difficulty to the combat, but I think that things described above cannot be really justified in the current-gen games, for the sole reason of game-world consistency. Not to mention putting an unfair disadvantage for players that check their backs, see totally clear area going for half a mile, turn away and get slashed by surprise 4 gorefasts two seconds later that just dropped from clear skies or plain concrete ceiling behind.

I guess some kind of radial area around players would work better than los check, also, some kind of an accessibility check would be needed. For example, before spawning zed squad in the given area, program should check if there is an unobstructed path from the nearest main spawning point to the said location.

Falling from heights

Next issue is drops from above. Crawlers and stalkers spawning in the vents and dropping from ceiling like in bioticslab are totally justified, no problem here. However, zeds jumping from rooftops or three stories+ with no falling damage are different matter entirely. I suppose normal falling damage wouldn't even do the trick because it could be exploited by players, and also zeds do have tons of health compared to player characters, so they would still be able to survive any fall. I guess what is needed is better pathing that would make zeds appear like they have some basic self-preservation and prevent them from jumping from unreasonable heights. Also, animations of zeds recovering from a fall from a greater height would be nice.

Squads and wave dynamic

I guess squad-based spawning with limited number of special squads per wave is there to stay. The general idea behind it is good, however, it leads to predictability. After a while people pretty much know at which zed count to expect a fleshpound, etc. Also, there are very limited squad variants in KF1, so I guess we need more variety and a bit more randomness here.

Of course if anyone wants to point out something else or has any ideas on how to improve spawning system and overall gaming experience related to it, please share them here :)

Yeah keen to hear if they have improved how zeds appear into the gameworld.. they got some super teleporting technology in KF1.

Am i right in thinking that there is only 1 special squad configuration per wave? Maybe if we could have multiple special squads per wave or there were a few more FPs/SCs in the normal squads which appear randomly then things would be less predictable.

Upvote 0
I'm hoping for farther-away spawning, enough that we can hear fresh groups of Zeds in the distance and don't suffer the immersion-breaking "blinking into existence" or the frustrating "spawning between you and teammates while on the move" occurrences of the first game.

Also, having some horde-behaviors with certain Zed types would REALLY be cool, make them move in 'formations' or attempt to flank players, when there's a minimum number of them around.

Upvote 0
I'd really like to see an additional zed-spawning 'mode' where each wave of zeds has a 'point pool'. Big zeds cost more points, weaker zeds cost less - but what exactly spawns each wave is totally random. For example, you might see [100 clots] @ wave 1 during one game, then [30 crawlers, 10 clots, 30 gorefasts, and some bloats] @ wave 1 during a different game.

This would be a 'Zed Squads' dropdown box for launching a server with the UI, or a simple command line switch for launching dedicated servers. 2 options are available for Zed Squad composition [Default or Randomized], with 1 additional option [User Defined] available in Sandbox Mode.

When choosing a predefined difficulty setting...

• + Default Zed Squads: spawns the default, Tripwire-specified zed squads for that difficulty setting.
  • + Randomized Zed Squads: randomly spawns zed squads obeying the Tripwire-specified Point Pool for that difficulty setting.
When choosing Sandbox Mode (any difficulty)...

• + UserDefined Zed Squads: spawns the zed squads exactly as specified by the host in their kf 2 configuration file.
  • + Randomized Zed Squads: allows the host to specify what Point Pool is available for each wave

Choosing Sandbox Mode allows players/hosts to specify the exact squads used (ZedRosters=UserDefined), the Number of Waves and Point Pool for each wave

Upvote 0
Crawler spawns are going to be mental. The speed those little critters move at now... ugh! Also I'm sure I read in an interview that zeds can now spawn from manhole covers.... superb addition.

I still have a crazy idea in my head of Horizine drop ships randomly throwing down the odd FP or Scrake. Heck, even cage drops would be cool (huge tankers like in Fright Yard full of random zeds... they just bust the door open and flood out). Oh yeah. :)

Upvote 0
I still have a crazy idea in my head of Horizine drop ships randomly throwing down the odd FP or Scrake. Heck, even cage drops would be cool (huge tankers like in Fright Yard full of random zeds... they just bust the door open and flood out). Oh yeah. :)

As far as I know horzine collapsed at the start of the meltdown, and only a few higher ups pushed for the outbreak. They wouldn't have a military doing airdrops for them, unless the staff were flying the helicopters themselves.

Upvote 0
I love KF1, but the KF1 respawn is the worst thing in this game. BY FAR!!! Anyone who play kiting, especially at HoE knows the respawn is bad.

When i started to play Killing Floor, the respawn system was better. The updates made it worse and worse. Some people can claim this has a "higher difficulty" to the game, but is not. Difficulty should be based at game play, at the zeds or weapons. But just make a zed pop up from no where 1 centimenter of your back to hit you is ridiculous. This respawn just make a lot of random kills without be affected by the player or team skill. Is like a random aneurysm. See this in KF2 would be greatly disappointing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Left 4 Dead handles it well with all the closed off zombie spawns, but their maps are already packed with zombies from the start. The way the AI director check for enemy types and decides what to spawn based on player performance could be something cool for KF though.

Left 4 Dead also has very fast moving zombies compared to fairly slow moving ZEDs. There does seem to be a speed bump with KF2, but I don't think they're going to be at that running state. It allows the game to surprise you much faster, while KF1 uses the most random respawns to achieve the same affect.

Back when I was playing Normal mode I thought it worked in the games favor because it created that "twitch" like atmosphere. As I started moving up to Hard/Suicidal I realized quickly how annoying it was. That twitch factor is no longer needed because of the difficulty scaling, which I also think is broken in a way. It basically controls all movement.

Normal - Free reign
Hard - Limited reign. Move with a battle buddy.
Suicidal - Only during half-time
HoE - Move and die

At least that's my experience. tl;dr it could be better.

Upvote 0
I have trouble understanding what you're trying to say.

He didn't phrase it very well
First he's saying that in L4D the zombies run at a full sprint, while in KF2 the zeds look a little faster than in KF1 but not L4D fast
So he reckons that KF makes up for slow zed speed by spawning them in unexpected places, which was still fine because you had to react fast to detect and respond to threats
However on higher difficulties, it's only viable to just camp in an area and defend it and avoid moving out of that area for the duration of the round unless you fancied becoming zed dinner
Hence the difficulty level governs how you go about playing the game too heavily, either going for a stroll on the easier difficulties or set up a defensive perimiter and don't go anywhere on HoE

All i hope is that zeds generally make more noise, too many times I've had my production quality headphones on at high volume and gotten jumped by some solid snake mother****er defying physics and materialising itself out of the nearest dead end corridor
like a goddamn Schr

Last edited:
Upvote 0
He didn't phrase it very well
First he's saying that in L4D the zombies run at a full sprint, while in KF2 the zeds look a little faster than in KF1 but not L4D fast
So he reckons that KF makes up for slow zed speed by spawning them in unexpected places, which was still fine because you had to react fast to detect and respond to threats
However on higher difficulties, it's only viable to just camp in an area and defend it and avoid moving out of that area for the duration of the round unless you fancied becoming zed dinner
Hence the difficulty level governs how you go about playing the game too heavily, either going for a stroll on the easier difficulties or set up a defensive perimiter and don't go anywhere on HoE

This. Sorry, woke up with a random swollen eye so my attention isn't nearly as focused as it should've been.

Upvote 0
Why do people keep comparing KF to L4D? They're very different zombie games.

they're actually very similar when you think about them abstractedly haha

• The enemies are inhuman/attack via melee predominantly
  • The majority of the enemies are 'basic' bipedal types, though there are certain special versions that are rarer
  • You are part of a team of survivors
  • You have lots of guns/melee weapons to use
  • Gameplay involves traversing the level and stocking up on new weapons/ammo at certain points
Really they're both "zombie" shooting games at the fundamental level - you said it yourself, they're different games, but they're different zombie games haha

Upvote 0