• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Your game & PC tweaks

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006
Looking for help from the community on tweaking my system/PC and the Rising Storm game for the lowest input lag, high frames per second, etc. for this and other games.

parts using:
Asus VG248qe 1ms
Cherry MX Reds, 1000Hz polling rate kb
Sidewinder 500Hz polling rate mouse
GTX 670
i7 970 6 core, 4.4GHz
SSD 840 Ev0
HPET off

All desktop, and In-game, visual settings are either off or set for performance

Any pointers, suggestions, or tips, would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

:confused:

Just glancing at your GPU, your processor, and your clock rate, I can't imagine
why you couldn't run RO2 and many games at near optimal. The only things left that might be an issue is the amount of your Ram, the date of your GPU driver, and perhaps your broadband speed. At a glance the hardware looks great.

Upvote 0
Looking for help from the community on tweaking my system/PC and the Rising Storm game for the lowest input lag, high frames per second, etc. for this and other games.

parts using:
Asus VG248qe 1ms
Cherry MX Reds, 1000Hz polling rate kb
Sidewinder 500Hz polling rate mouse
GTX 670
i7 970 6 core, 4.4GHz
SSD 840 Ev0
HPET off

All desktop, and In-game, visual settings are either off or set for performance

Any pointers, suggestions, or tips, would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
You'd be better served posting in the forums of these "other games." Because your rig should have no issue running RO2/RS buttery smooth at the highest settings.

Upvote 0
I don't see your motherboard on there. Just be sure in your BIOS that its not set to "Energy Saving" or something to that affect. Some M/B's will vary CPU processor speed depending upon load.

V-sync lag is worse on some machines than others. It never seemed to affect me. The tearing was a bigger issue for me, so I reverted back to setting v-sync on. But its worth trying both ways. Your mileage may vary.

Upvote 0
:cool:

I'm curious as to why many folks think the use of v-sync as a negative. Sure it will reduce frame rate to about 60fps, but that is full cinematic quality to the human eye. When you go beyond 60 fps, depending on the monitor you can provoke vertical edge tearing with a hi-performance GPU. . This is particularly true if you are using SLI. Of course there are some work-arounds, but I find tearing a lot more annoying than restricting myself to 60 fps. Just some thoughts.

Upvote 0

I'm curious as to why many folks think the use of v-sync as a negative. Sure it will reduce frame rate to about 60fps, but that is full cinematic quality to the human eye. When you go beyond 60 fps, depending on the monitor you can provoke vertical edge tearing with a hi-performance GPU. . This is particularly true if you are using SLI. Of course there are some work-arounds, but I find tearing a lot more annoying than restricting myself to 60 fps. Just some thoughts.
VSync simply forces the moniter's refresh rate. If your GPU exceeds the moniter's refresh rate you will experience tearing without Vsync.

The difference between 60 and 120 FPS is very visible. Between 120 and 144 FPS not so much.

Upvote 0

Because input lag and stutter is more detrimental in a competitive shooter than screen tearing, which can be alleviated by capping FPS at refresh rate +2 with V-Sync off. I can tolerate a little tearing. I can't tolerate sluggish controls, and UE3 along with Source is one of the worst in regards to V-Sync input lag.

The ultimate solution to have the best of both worlds is adaptive refresh rate technology like G-Sync and FreeSync.

Never had input lag in my life
Just because you can't feel it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. That's why G-Sync exists, to eliminate tearing without input lag and stutter.

Upvote 0

Yeah, I'm stuck with a 60hz monitor for the moment. I'm looking to improve that situation. With my particular GPU, I can't say lag or stutter is an issue, but I guess there's always room for improvement.
Yea at that point there's no real reason to turn off Vsync.

What he means by input lag is how Vsync kinda smooths out your movement. Turn it on, look around, turn it off, then do the same. You'll notice that while there is tearing without Vsync it is a much more smooth movement.

In my experience anyway :rolleyes:

Upvote 0