• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Your Favourite WW2 Movies

Klaus wrote:

Its actually from a Russian series called Shtrafbat
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Klaus; been wondering about that for long time.

Another favorite WWII movie of mine is 'Midway' (1976); I saw this at the old Americana West movie theater in Detroit when I was eight years old. 'Midway' was filmed well for a pre-Star Wars film (it was also the second of only four films released with a Senssurround sound mix which required special speakers to be installed in movie theatres) though you can tell the pilots are just sitting in a cockpit in front of the camera. Most of the combat footage is taken from WWII color film and from other WWII movies and spliced into the film

I guess 'Midway' could also very very loosely be considered as a sequel to 'Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo' (1944) because it uses its Doolittle Raid scene from that movie at the very beginning.

Even though the movie incorporates scenes from other films (some apparently from Tora! Tora! Tora!) and you can tell the planes with the close ups of the pilots are fake, with the excellent acting all round by all the actors, it pulls it off, and the movie is still today, in my opinion, one of the great American movies about WWII; it is also one of the first American films that doesn't portray the Japanese as a bunch of brutes.

‪MIDWAY(1976) Original Theatrical Trailer‬‏ - YouTube[/COLOR][/URL]

Someone made a compilation video of all the combat scenes from Midway on Youtube (***ALL SPOILERS*** but maybe worth seeing 1 minute to get a better idea how the movie was filmed / compiled if my description didn't make sense):

‪Midway-WW2 Dogfight and action scenes Part 1 of 2‬‏ - YouTube[/COLOR][/URL]

I also want to give a Big Thumbs Up for Marcel Oph

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Best scene in Annie Hall, hands down:

Woody has gone to see another of his feel-bad Wocheschau flicks:

[a recording of a deserted column of civilian vehicles]

"...the Jewish warmongers have tried to escape with their gold!"

I laughed out loud while I was watching it with a group of students from my college in the local library. It just felt like something straight out of 'Allo, 'Allo! :D

Upvote 0
The thread got necro'd but what the hell...

I watched this movie on YouTube a few years ago with English subtitles and absolutely loved it ... It's more about alcoholism and misconstrued paternal affection and Tchaikovsky than it is about War... Nonetheless, it's set in the USSR before and during the war... If you understand Russian or can find subtitles - I'd highly recommend this movie.

Papa.2004 - YouTube

Upvote 0
City of Life & Death (Nanking, China) (2009; Limited Release 2011 in USA) :

A powerful cinematic experience.

Except for the beginning with the Japanese tanks attacking the city walls, the movie feels like a portal transferring you back in time and to the place.

A city where all human morality is lost and man has become like the savage beasts of the wild in the concrete jungle.

Filmed in the color of the era: black and white:

A dramatization of the rape of Nanking in 1937.

City of Life & Death Trailer - YouTube

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/Iris-Chang-s-suicide-stunned-those-she-tried-so-2634180.php

Upvote 0
Unsere mutter, unsere vatter

Unsere mutter, unsere vatter

A WW2 serie from the Wehrmacht 's perspective. This 3 part mini-serie follow the story of 5 friends during WW2. In my eyes, this serie get 9 out of 10. The full serie is currently on youtube ( I dont know for how long because of copyright issues )

Trailer||| Unsere mutter, unsere vater |||
Unsere Mütter, Unsere Väter Trailer - YouTube

Complete parts 1 to 3 with English subs can be found here!
Part I
unsere mütter unsere väter (our mothers our fathers)..NA

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ahh, favourites is hard to do because I hold so many in high regard.
A few I think deserve mention (since many are already posted here):

Brest Fortress:
Официальный трейлер фильма "Брестская крепость" - YouTube

Available with English and other subtitles if needed. It must be my most favourite movie made in recent years.

Twelve O'clock High:
Twelve O'Clock High Theatrical Movie Trailer (1949) - YouTube

About American crews in Britain, found it quite good.

Ivan's Childhood:
Иваново детство.Ivan's Childhood.

Upvote 0
Underrated not very known hollywood film but very very good with Bruce Willins and Collin Farrell as POWs in a concentration camp.

One of my top 3 WW2 movies its called Harts War. In fact more then a war movie its more like drama/law

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251114/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Notice how the Russians are treated like dogs in the camp, more proof the the 3rd reich was all racial and had nothing do with being anti bolshevik or menchevik

Upvote 0
i mean we all know the facists were terrible but no movie is proof of anything

Of course movies are just movies, but its the concept and message that counts. The scene im talking about is when the nazis throw a loaf of bread for 100 Russians to fight over, Collin Farrel then asks Willis why do they do that to them and not to us? His response was "the germans consider them an inferior race"

The nazi col hears him and confronts him, upon doing so Bruce Willis said something that may have stood true in the glory days "in my country we dont make those kind of distinctions"

Upvote 0