• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Your Favoriate Way of Tank vs. Tank Warfare?

Captain Data said:
Let me watch that StuG III in RO:O, I think it gots the short barrel.

Nope, it's the long L/43 barrel. The short barrel barely clears the edge of the hull, and has no muzzle brake:

stug3-lah-france1940.jpg

Upvote 0
When the StuG rolled onto the Eastern front, it literally turned the tide of the war back into German hands. The StuG's front armor was so thick that, at a distant, it was nearly impenetrable. It tore allied armor up on both the Eastern and Western fronts, and became a quick favorite of Panzer crews.

The down side was, of course, it had no turret, so couldn't fire on the fly or swing around to meet on coming dangers, and if it became tracked, it was generally worthless.

Later versions added an mg for anti infantry purposes, but the version in RO doesn't have it, which is an accurate description. One shot from the StuG should be penetrating the T34's. It's the only tank in the game that falls short on the realism IMO, which is too bad as it was such an influential piece of German armor.

Upvote 0
Hi
On arad playing as soviet, on the right field there is a hill with a slight ledge half way up, this is purfect for my tank, im able to park it on this ledge and have about 8 tenths of the the tank behind cover but due to the ledge the gun is able to fire horisontal to ground level, I think I took out about 8 tanks and a dozen infantry before getting killed by artillary, everything was just bouncing off.

Luke

Upvote 0
Hull down, right distance and angle the tank is the golden rule.
Aim for the vital parts of the tank (ammo, engine, tracks) is the silver rule.
Have a good teammate on the tank and not an Rambo NASCAR noob is the bronze rule .:) (better alone)

80% of the people on the pubs are not angling their tanks and start to yell WTF hax and bs each time when they get pwned.

Upvote 0
Bolt said:
Now about those anglings... I wonder, when people say "angle the tank", they mean what?
a) The tank shows only frontal armour to his enemy (0 degrees)
b) The tank stays like 30-40 degrees to his enemy
Which one?
Point the left or right front of your tank at the enemy. In this simulation even a Tiger needs to do this. I really hope they fix the armor so it is a better simulation. I've sat a T34 on a high point on the Arad on the right flank and had a good dozen shots bounce off. At one time I faced down 3 Tigers and was hit by each at least once to no effect. One finally got a decent angle on my left tracks and damaged them. I still took out the 3 Tigers and 2 Panzer IVs. I further damaged 4 Panzer IVs and 1 Panther. The only reason they took me out was my wife as yelling at me to help with something so I ignored the PKZW that thought it had snuck behind me and yes one of the passengers hit me with a Panzerfaust.

Later I got on and tried this again and had a long range battle with a Tiger. The Tiger had parked behind the wall at their start. Two shots at 800 meters and I lit that tank up. Fewer Axis tanks tried to break out of their left flank. If they tried to duel with me they lost. Only reason I was shot this time was the Tiger made it to the north village and was able to get a nice rear shot that didn't bounce.

At 1km a the T34 should be 90% chance of a 1st shot kill for a Tiger. The 2nd shot should be near 100%. That is at all angles. There is no way I should be able to sit a T34 on a hill and just angle it and be immune to all shots. I'm not that good. I'll admit that it appeared that most of those going against me had a hard time getting on target, but by the third shot most where bouncing the shells off of me :)

Upvote 0
Captain Data said:
Funny, some of those tactics would NEVER work in reality.

About that Tiger: A Tiger in the Open is a easy target for large masses of T34/85, Aircraft and so on. A Tiger was often used for ambushes in the rubble, pointing in that only direction where the enemy will appear.

Ugh, sorry. but thats not true. only in the last month of the war Tigers were used like that. i would recommend a book about german tank warfare. the tiger was used in combination with Panzer III and Panzer IV. Always on open field because the tiger needet long ranges to be superior.

The german tank tactics were based on "Movement combat". so they didnt stood still and waited. its also called blitzkrieg......:eek:

Upvote 0
Captain Data said:
Funny, some of those tactics would NEVER work in reality.

A StuG III is ALWAYS useless @ long ranges in reality. Its maingun was way too weak (too short) to penetrate any armor at long distances, it was created for Infantry-support. Too bad there is no damage-falloff @ great distances in RO:O I think, otherwise you HAVE to engage with that StuG.

This is true for early StuG variants (Ausf. A-E) which employed the short-barreled, low-velocity 75mm StuK 37 L/24 weapon. This was for all intents and purposes useless against most French armour, which was actually quite good at the outbreak of the war in 1940. The StuG III with the L/24 was used extensively on the Eastern Front up until the advance on Moscow was stopped in the Winter of 1941/42.

However, by 1942, an upgunned StuG III Ausf. F & G were equipped with a much heavier, far more effective anti-armour 75mm StuK 40 L/43 weapon, which is the machine they've made in the game. Later variants were also uparmoured with sloping frontal armour.

Upvote 0
Magnusvermagnussen said:
This is true for early StuG variants (Ausf. A-E) which employed the short-barreled, low-velocity 75mm StuK 37 L/24 weapon. This was for all intents and purposes useless against most French armour, which was actually quite good at the outbreak of the war in 1940. The StuG III with the L/24 was used extensively on the Eastern Front up until the advance on Moscow was stopped in the Winter of 1941/42.

However, by 1942, an upgunned StuG III Ausf. F & G were equipped with a much heavier, far more effective anti-armour 75mm StuK 40 L/43 weapon, which is the machine they've made in the game. Later variants were also uparmoured with sloping frontal armour.

You obviously missed my post.

Upvote 0
Captain Data said:
Let me watch that StuG III in RO:O, I think it gots the short barrel.

That StuG III was only that successful because it gots a low siluette - because there was no easy-to-spot turret on that tank. It was cheap to produce and great for ambush-tactics or as support for real Tanks / Tankdestroyers and yes, you're right, great in destroying enemy (medium) tanks. But I still think, it was only successful in large numbers, as support or when doing some ambushes, but not as a "Tank-Sniper". For this job, you've got real Tankdestroyers, like the "Jagdpanther".

Sorry, but no.

A Hugo Primozic and three other StuGs held off an entire Soviet tank corps, ALONE. Michael Wittmann bagged 20 kills in his StuG III during the France, Greek and early Russian campaigns. The StuG was a vicious beast that struck fear in the heart of all enemy tankers.

Edit: And Bauer, nice StuG pic, 1.SS, Wittmann's unit in fact. They were going to be sent to SturmBattalion 666 (yes, 666) but were sent to the 1.SS LSSAH instead. It still has the Wolf's Head marking of the SB666 unit on the side, with the LSSAH "Target" on the opposite side of the cannon. (The LSSAH used a white circle and a dot in the center for it's 1 StuG Batt, 2 StuG Batt had a circle with an X)

Upvote 0
As a German on Arad, get a panther and head right (when starting near to the bridge), hug the hedge and keep going until you are at the top of the hill looking across the field with the village to your right (where your own tanks will be if they have any sense and don't want to die). If you look in this area there is a fold in the ground which makes a perfect firing position, on one match I got about 15 kills before having my tank destroyed and this was only due to sheer numbers of shells being shot at me and bouncing off the sloped front armour. I repeated this tactic and the only way I could be destroyed was by a talented IS-2 gunner or by arty- at that range the T34/85 could not get enough penetration to even dent the armour.

In any other tank on any other map, always angle the tank hull so that the corner is pointing at the enemy, this means when they fire at you your oponent can only hit a slanted edge, though don't try it against a Panther or Tiger or IS-2 because sheer penetration power makes mincemeat of smaller tanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Howard GB said:
As a German on Arad, get a panther and head right (when starting near to the bridge), hug the hedge and keep going until you are at the top of the hill looking across the field with the village to your right (where your own tanks will be if they have any sense and don't want to die). If you look in this area there is a fold in the ground which makes a perfect firing position, on one match I got about 15 kills before having my tank destroyed and this was only due to sheer numbers of shells being shot at me and bouncing off the sloped front armour. I repeated this tactic and the only way I could be destroyed was by a talented IS-2 gunner or by arty- at that range the T34/85 could not get enough penetration to even dent the armour.

In any other tank on any other map, always angle the tank hull so that the corner is pointing at the enemy, this means when they fire at you your oponent can only hit a slanted edge, though don't try it against a Panther or Tiger or IS-2 because sheer penetration power makes mincemeat of smaller tanks.

couldnt have said it better myself. the importance of angling is greatly underestimated. sometimes im accused of cheating. however i disagree with the T-34/85 statement. any tanker with some sense would simply drive round your side and lob a shell into your ammo compartment and get you in 2 if not one hits. i once had a 700m duel with a tiger, since we were both angled, we shot at each other so much we both ran out of ammo and decided to ram eachother, thats when one of his buddies got me with a panzerfaust

Upvote 0
I hope they improve the tanks. There are accounts of single Tigers destroying up to 10 t34s in some engagements from long range. Angling didnt have as huge and effect as it does in this game. But for now, since if your opponent is smart they will angle their tank you have to angle yours. I like to play with my friend. We swtich driving and gunning. Im a better gunner imo but w.e. We always jsut find hull down fire pull back so no part of the tank is visible, reload, roll back forward to hull down postion fire, repeat.

Upvote 0
Vietnow said:
couldnt have said it better myself. the importance of angling is greatly underestimated. sometimes im accused of cheating. however i disagree with the T-34/85 statement. any tanker with some sense would simply drive round your side and lob a shell into your ammo compartment and get you in 2 if not one hits.

Thankyou, have you ever tried what I was describing? (it would be nice if someone else could vouch that this tactic works). The thing is at the ranges the Russians were engaging at (they had to go around a wood about a kilometre away just to have a chance of getting a shot at me) and even then I could still obliterate a T34/85 at that range in my Panther, ad although eople tried to outflank me, this position I sat in was positioned that anyone trying that one would get nailed by team mates in the spawn zone. It was an excellent positon

Upvote 0
Panzer Vorwarts!
Basic Training for PanzerTruppen

So, mein Kameraden. You've decided that you're too lazy to walk across the vast expanse of the Eastern Front? "Death Before Dismount!" is now your motto, and you are ready to transfer to the ranks of the SS PanzerTruppen? Wunderbar! Don't let anyone discourage you. The infantry, artillery, and airmen can say whatever they want, but our glorious PanzerWaffe is the Fatherland

Upvote 0