• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Your Favoriate Way of Tank vs. Tank Warfare?

depends, for example, as a soviet on arad, id do the following in most cases:-

1) Tiger spotted? hit the turret, dont waste shots on the side unless you have a pretty solid angle (right angles are perfect).

2) panzers, anyhwere will do :p

3) panthers are a soviet tankers nightmare. I try and get as close as possible to it and punch as many holes as a i can on its ammo box till it explodes, but i often end up getting owned by that monster.

an invaluable tip to keep in mind is ALWAYS angle your tank when ingaging the enemy, it can literally make the difference between living and dying.

Hull-down positions are also good, especially when the enemy is far away and has limited visibility of you.

Upvote 0
I have noticed that alot of Tankers look around them but not so much into the distance.

Remeber a Tiger or IS 2 can kill you from a 1K away.

So..if that tank is available...i tend to perch on a hillish type high point (one thing i hate about the game is that i find it is difficult to find a perfect rampart of sort to huanch my self on ..yet have the gun be able to turn down far enough.? Thoughts?

Anyway...back t what i was aying...find a nice hil..ish thing..and shot the engine from the top....if there is any one capable of searching out for tanks in the distnace ..they may shoot..but you have a matter of protection.

They are my first basic ones...Confronting other tanks in the field straight on is a Big NO NO if you like survival.

Upvote 0
i like being a russian tank and have the germans try and hit me.

set up slighly angled in the t34 and its practily impossible for the germans to damage me.
and then when your in a nice positoin start picking them off.
with a bit of luck i can usualy avarige about 3 to 4 germans tanks for my 1 russian t34.

to be honest i think it really sucks, tank warfar on the axis side is all about getting those few lucky shots that actualy do damage befor you killed in 1 or 2 shots. if im lucky i can take 1 allies tank with me but usualy i die after seeing 2 shells bounch of the allies armor, even when im at a near perfect 90 degrea angle.
on the other hand, shells rarely bounch of german armor, only when they aim for the wrong spot (front armor) when your at a 30something degrea angle.
i know the allies tank have sloping armor and that thats a big difference but i dont think the allies avareged 1 tank for every 4 german onces they killed.

Upvote 0
I always aim for the lower hull, has good results.

Panzer VI Tiger - Hang back in the distance and pick off ivan tankers. The turret is too slow for close range fighting. Arad has a few great spots. One is 500 meters away from the north village. I can sit there, angle the tank and be unstoppable from the front.

Use it like a StuG, except have the turret pointed at 11 or 1 o'clock.

Laugh and taunt PT Streloks who shoot at me.

Panzer V Panther - Break through tactics and close range fighting.

StuG III - Long range engagements.

Panzer IV F2 - The whipping boy. Break through tactics.

Panzer IV F1 - I don't use it.

Panzer III - Keep the APCR rounds loaded at all times. Aim for the turret on the T34 and KV1s.

Upvote 0
Getting a heavy tank and using them the way they are best! At long range, obviously. I always find it so funny when people go driving their IS2 right into towns...

But yeah. For example - Arad. If I'm russian I will get in my IS2 and cover either one of the fields and try to stay at least 800 meters away from where the enemy is.

Usually no one can take me on head to head when I do this... I usually end up running out of ammo or the round ending.

Upvote 0
OK.. ok.. Since i feel really really nice tonight :) Here is my Best (2) tatics on Ogeldow..(most favorite map then Arad)

1.) When your russian.. Grab a IS-2 or a T-34/85 or T-34/76 or 67 cant remeber.. Then as soon as you go over the hill. You got 2 Options. (1.) Go straight over the hill untill u see the 2 fields, There should be a tree to ur left and a small wall to ur Right.. Get in a nice angel either behind the tree or the small wall :)

2.) Go FAR FAR FAR RIght, into the open field (this Requires a IS-2 Mostly) Then angle ur tank prefectly.. Then just open fire at the Germans when they try to sneak around the Farm and Flank :)

3) Same as #1 but.. Keep going into the field.. Then there should be a small hill, with another small wall. Get ur tank behind that and FIRE AWAY! :D

--_--As German--_--

1.) Get a Panther or Panzer and Head straight for "Hill 247.2". Park ur self on the Far right over the hill and fire down at the Russians.. Or keep going until u come to the tracks with the Crossing, Then just camp there and hit them on the side.. :) They never look that Far Right.

2.) This is very very simple.. Head straight for the 'Farm' And just CAMP there behind the wall...

I really hope those helP!

Upvote 0
Sichartshofen said:
I always aim for the lower hull, has good results.

Panzer VI Tiger - Hang back in the distance and pick off ivan tankers. The turret is too slow for close range fighting. Arad has a few great spots. One is 500 meters away from the north village. I can sit there, angle the tank and be unstoppable from the front.

Use it like a StuG, except have the turret pointed at 11 or 1 o'clock.

Laugh and taunt PT Streloks who shoot at me.

Panzer V Panther - Break through tactics and close range fighting.

StuG III - Long range engagements.

Panzer IV F2 - The whipping boy. Break through tactics.

Panzer IV F1 - I don't use it.

Panzer III - Keep the APCR rounds loaded at all times. Aim for the turret on the T34 and KV1s.

Funny, some of those tactics would NEVER work in reality.

About that Tiger: A Tiger in the Open is a easy target for large masses of T34/85, Aircraft and so on. A Tiger was often used for ambushes in the rubble, pointing in that only direction where the enemy will appear.

Panther is fine except it was way lesser armored like a Tiger, only his angled armor prevented 75mm Shells to penetrate. It was almost invincible by any Tank Russians could throw in battle except IS-Tanks. A IS2 was able to kill a Panther with a direct frontal hit, and that AP-Bullet went through, leaving a "holed" Panther full of dead Crewmen.

A StuG III is ALWAYS useless @ long ranges in reality. Its maingun was way too weak (too short) to penetrate any armor at long distances, it was created for Infantry-support. Too bad there is no damage-falloff @ great distances in RO:O I think, otherwise you HAVE to engage with that StuG.

'bout Panzer IV F2: Its quite good and (except its weak armor) comparable to a T34/76. It was one of the best Tanks @ Westfront, but outclassed by T34/85, KV-I @ Ostfront. Best used in masses to support Panthers.

And that Panzer IV F1: Close-Combat only in Reality, its Maingun was short and that means, AP-Ammo was not that usefull against russian Tanks. But with HE-Ammo it was a real good infantry-killer when fighting in a City.

Too bad AP-Ammo do always the same damage, when shooting at different distances. In reality, most short-barreled Tanks weren't able to penetrate enemy armor at great distances. Our Panzer IV F1 suffered heavy losses @ Ostfront, because it was no real danger to a T34.

Upvote 0
Captain Data said:
A StuG III is ALWAYS useless @ long ranges in reality. Its maingun was way too weak (too short) to penetrate any armor at long distances, it was created for Infantry-support. Too bad there is no damage-falloff @ great distances in RO:O I think, otherwise you HAVE to engage with that StuG.
:rolleyes:

By 1943 the StuG was one of the most successful tank destroyers, with a 75mm StuK 40 L/43, capable of penetrating 87mm of armour at 1000m, with PzGr 40 as ammunition. The G version was upgunned with an L/48, giving it 97mm of penetration at 1000m.

If you were to mention this in reference to earlier versions, prior to F/8, or even the StuH 42, then you'd be right.

Upvote 0
Let me watch that StuG III in RO:O, I think it gots the short barrel.

That StuG III was only that successful because it gots a low siluette - because there was no easy-to-spot turret on that tank. It was cheap to produce and great for ambush-tactics or as support for real Tanks / Tankdestroyers and yes, you're right, great in destroying enemy (medium) tanks. But I still think, it was only successful in large numbers, as support or when doing some ambushes, but not as a "Tank-Sniper". For this job, you've got real Tankdestroyers, like the "Jagdpanther".

Upvote 0